The X-8 splicing facility terminal allows the Courier to create 4 different creatures by splicing them. Each one completes a challenge rewarding the player's character variable XP; they are challenges in the Fallout: New Vegas add-on Old World Blues.
Three holotapes are required in order to 'learn' all the splicing experiments.
- Dog and lobotomite splicing experiment holotape
- Dog and robot splicing experiment holotape
- Robot and nightstalker splicing experiment holotape
There are a few "rules" for splicing:
- Only three experiment creatures can be made per day.
- You can do only one dog and robot splicing experiment (Roxie) at a time.
- You need to clear the area before starting new experiments.
- Experiments are not allowed outside of the X-8 facility.
- Security must be disabled before experiments can be run.
The X-8 slicing terminal displays the results of what the Courier spliced:
- Splice dog and lobotomite - results in a "dismal failure", leaving behind the severely mutilated bodies of a dog and a lobotomite. The lobotomite can be looted for a weapon and minor loot.
- Splice dog and robot - creates a friendly, temporary companion, Roxie.
- Splice robot and unusual specimen - creates a robobrain that is friendly but starts shooting randomly before exploding. (Completes the Automaton challenge rewarding variable XP).
- Lobotomite and robot - creates a friendly robobrain which excitedly muses about the exciting new world it's presented with and what opportunities it offers to "a dreamer like itself"... before exploding.
Behind the scenesEdit
|The following is based on unverified behind the scenes information and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
The exploding robobrains' few words are a reference to the book The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy where a whale is spontaneously spawned into life.
|End of information based on unverified behind the scenes information.|
- pc Sometimes there is a bug which doesn't recognize the completion of the Automaton challenge. [verified]