As the Courier ran through the X-8 facility multiple times, the computers analyzed the test subject's movements. Rather than performing a superficial observation, they realized the subject barely knew what Communism was - or even what a high school was.”— Old World Blues ending slide
This section is needed but has not been written yet. You can help Nukapedia by writing it.
Walking left upon entry will lead to the X-8 splicing facility terminal, where creatures can be spliced. The building also houses its own high school (loosely based on American High) where the sonic emitter EM Pulse Wave Upgrade can be retrieved, allowing the user to disable Big MT force fields.
- The dog and lobotomite splicing experiment holotape - can be found on the table next to the X-8 observatory terminal in the testing facility.
- The dog and robot splicing experiment holotape - can be found in the first room to the right of the main entrance. It lies on a table in the center of the room.
- The sonic emitter upgrade 'EM Pulse Wave' is obtained here by completing the basic institutional test. It is then available at the beginning of the advanced institutional test.
- The upgrade schematics for FIDO are in the kennel by the terminal. The key for the kennel must first be obtained from the X-13 research facility.
- The robot and nightstalker splicing experiment holotape can be found on top of one of the nightstalker kennels.
- A Brain's Best Friend
- Field Research
- Sonic Emitter Upgrade
- X-8 Data Retrieval Test
- X-8: High School Horror!
- The terminals in the high school may change their location from test to test.
- When splicing two creatures together, if a lobotomite and a dog are spliced together, they will always end up as a failed experiment and die. When failing an experiment for the first time, a challenge will be completed, rewarding 100XP.
- Splicing together a robot and a night stalker will result in a robobrain that attacks a spot near the doorway with laser fire until it self destructs eight seconds later or is destroyed.
- It is also possible to splice together a lobotomite and a robot, creating a robobrain, the robobrain will self-destruct after a short time of talking.
- Roxie, a temporary cyberdog companion, can be obtained by splicing a dog and robot together. Roxie will only follow the player character around the X-8 research center. She can be used for the tests, but will not sneak, and will run towards any hostile in the area.
- After three tests at the terminal, 24 in-game hours must pass in order for the system to "restock" test subjects.
- The X-8 Kennel key is located in the X-13 research center.
- On a wall in the high school area, "Why me, Mobius" is spelled out on the wall in large, physical letters.
- One of the jars with a lump of brain inside from the Fallout 3 add-on Point Lookout is on the desk near the entrance to the facility.
- There are two beds in the institutional testing facility. They can be found by going forward through the double doors in between the bookcases, and then turning left. The beds are be located in the northwest corner of the room.
- Being modeled after American High, the test facility has a locker hallway, a small office room, two classrooms, a library, and a janitor room. However, it lacks a cafeteria in which Borous references this.
Behind the scenesEdit
- A terminal on level two mentions Project: Burke and Project: Hare. Burke and Hare were infamous 19th century serial killers who murdered people to sell their bodies as cadavers for anatomy classes. Project: Burke and Hare are both regarding procurement of bodies for scientific experimentation.
- The created robobrain's short speech is a reference to the whale from The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.
|The following is based on the Wild Wasteland trait and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
- In the high school area there is a Wild Wasteland moment where the phrase "Wolverines" is written on the wall. This is a reference to the movie Red Dawn, as the Wolverines is a resistance group composed of high-schoolers, taken from the name of their football team, after their school (and America) is invaded by the Russians in the beginning of the movie.
- In the cyberdog training area, there is another Wild Wasteland moment, where a few cyberdogs will be seen through a window playing Poker, with the words "SIT. STAY. KILL." written on the wall above. It refers collectively to a series of sixteen oil paintings by C. M. Coolidge, commissioned in 1903 by Brown & Bigelow to advertise cigars, known in pop culture as just "dogs playing Poker" paintings. In between the closest dog on the right and the left is an Ace of Clubs, just like in the painting.
|End of information based on the Wild Wasteland trait.|
- xbox360 Splicing a dog and a robot may create a goo pile under Roxie. The goo pile cannot be searched unless Roxie is killed. Trying to search the goo pile while Roxie is alive will trigger her to talk to you. [verified]
- xbox360 pc Splicing a lobotomite and a dog can end in a bug with a lobotomite with no torso and eyes standing over the dead dog and some scattered remains. [verified]