| ||For more information on the war, see World War II on Wikipedia.|
World War II
An image of the Reichstag in Germany as seen in the original Fallout.
World War II, also referred to as the Second World War and regularly shortened to WW2 or WWII, was the massive conflict that saw the first usage of nuclear weapons in war by a superpower, and the formation of the United Nations.
- The Master's nuclear bomb in the original Fallout appears to be modeled on Trinity, the first American atomic bomb, which was developed and tested late in the war.
- The Tank in Fallout Tactics is a modified version of a WWII-era tank, the M4 "Sherman".
- Two WWII-era aircraft, the P-51 Mustang and B-29 Superfortress, make appearances in Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas.
- Several WWII-era weapons can be found scattered about the wastelands as well. These include the M1 Garand, the Thompson submachine gun, the M3 "Grease Gun", Colt .45 and the Browning auto rifle.
- Images depicting events in World War II appear in the Fallout intro, and the war, especially as the setting for the first use of nuclear weapons, is often alluded to throughout the series.
- In the Museum of History, there is a World War II exhibit, although it is inaccessible due to a collapsed ceiling blocking the entrance.
- Abraham Washington is in possession of the United States' 1941 declaration of war against Germany.
Behind the scenesEdit
- The Sierra Army Depot was originally constructed as a location for wartime equipment storage in 1942.
- The Anchorage Memorial is based on an iconic image from World War II.
- The "Fat Man" is named after the atomic bomb that was dropped on Nagasaki, Japan in August 1945. Additionally, the Megaton atomic bomb is modeled after the actual bomb itself.
- Turtledove Detention Camp and Little Yangtze are references to Executive Order 9066, which resulted in the internment of Japanese-Americans during World War II.