| ||For an overview of whet stone that appear in the Fallout series of games, see whet stone.|
A whet stone is a smooth stone used to sharpen knives or other edged weapons and is used to grind and hone the edges of steel tools and implements. Examples of items that may be sharpened with a sharpening stone include scissors, scythes, knives, razors, and tools such as chisels and plane blades. Though it is sometimes mistaken as a reference to the water often used to lubricate the stones, the word "whetstone" is a compound word formed with the word "whet," which means to sharpen a blade, not the word "wet."
Stones are usually available in various grades, which refers to the grit size of the particles in the stone. Generally, the finer the grit, the denser the material, which leads to a finer finish of the surface of the tool. Finer grits cut slower because they remove less material. Grits are often given as a number, which indicates the density of the particles with a higher number denoting higher density and therefore smaller particles.
The whet stone is identical in appearance to the paperweight.
- There is a whet stone located in one of the dumpsters near the North Gate exit of Freeside.
- Located in the Goodsprings General Store.
- Found in the Camp Forlorn Hope command center.
- In Raul's shack, on the shelf to the left of entrance.
- Whet stones are commonly found all throughout the Mojave Wasteland.