|Minutemen main quest: When Freedom Calls|
|Listen to Preston Garvey's request at the balcony.|
|(Optional) Take the laser musket.|
|Enter the Museum of Freedom.|
|Fight the raiders and locate the trapped people.|
|Talk to Preston Garvey.|
|(Optional) Pick up the fusion core in the basement of the museum.|
|Go on the roof and activate the power armor.|
|Get the minigun.|
|Break the raider assault.|
|Eliminate the remaining hostiles and the deathclaw in Concord.|
|Report back to Preston.|
|Reward: 300 XP|
50 fusion cells
|Join Preston in Sanctuary Hills.|
|Leads to: Taking Independence|
The First Step
During travels through Concord, the Sole Survivor will spot a man protecting a group of people from raider attacks on a balcony of the Museum of Freedom. By the doors below the balcony is a short laser musket and some fusion cells for the taking. Clear any foes from the streets before entering the Museum.
If at least one perk point has been dedicated to Locksmith, the player can unlock the door ahead, which uses an Advanced lock. Otherwise, head through the door to the right and begin battling your way through the raiders, making your way upstairs. Take the opportunity to get armor and weapons from the raiders before heading to the second floor. Once all the raiders are dead, the door to the room where the settlers are will open. Go inside and speak to Preston Garvey, one of the last survivors of the Commonwealth Minutemen.
While here, be sure to pick up the Perception bobblehead and the RobCo Fun magazine, containing the Atomic Command holotape. Agree to help them crush any remaining raider opposition in town. Make sure to talk to Mama Murphy, as this is one of the rare opportunities to learn Dogmeat's name if he is accompanying you in this quest. Passing a moderately-difficult Speech check will get Mama Murphy to tell you about something very dangerous that will rear its ugly head during the coming battle. Failing this check will only get you the info that "it ain't a Raider."
Drop to the ground floor and into the basement. To unlock the door, one can choose to either hack the terminal or directly pick the lock; both are of novice difficulty. Once the door is open, grab the fusion core inside.
Head upstairs and onto the roof to find a suit of T-45 power armor. Insert the fusion core into the power armor and climb inside the suit. Next, take the minigun from the Vertibird. One can either remain on the roof for more protection or jump off it into the fray. Do not worry about taking fall damage as your power armor will negate it all. Begin killing the raiders; once Gristle—the only named raider—is dead, be sure to pick up the Corvega storage key from his body. After killing a number of raiders, a deathclaw will burst out of the sewer near the intersection and enter the fray. Although it looks menacing, the power armor and minigun should prove helpful in ending it.
Once all of the enemies are dead, re-enter the Museum of Freedom and speak to Preston Garvey. Mama Murphy will speak to you about your destiny and your son, and direct you to Diamond City. This will give you the next quest of the main storyline, Jewel of the Commonwealth. Once that is done, you can either part ways with Preston here and seek the city out, or accompany him and the settlers to Sanctuary Hills. Talking to Preston once in Sanctuary will end this quest and begin the next quest for the Minutemen, The First Step. If you plan on using the Power Armor again, you will need to repair it, either at the Red Rocket or at the power armor station in Sanctuary.
- If the Sole Survivor already has a fusion core in their inventory when they speak to Sturges, they can use it in the power armor and save the one found in the basement.
- Sturges has alternative dialogue if the player character is already wearing power armor upon accepting the quest. He will also remark differently depending on the presence or absence of a fusion core. If there is no fusion core, he will still recommend retrieving one from the basement. There is also additional dialog with Preston Garvey if the Sole Survivor is already carrying a minigun.
- It is possible to skip this quest altogether and head towards Diamond City straight away. However, to progress further in the Minutemen quest line, this quest must be completed.
- The deathclaw spawn seems to be scripted to occur after a certain time, rather than by proximity; thus, it is possible to remain on the museum roof and observe the deathclaw's emergence from a distance, without having to descend to ground level and put oneself at risk. However, this can make the fight last longer, as the deathclaw may move out of the Sole Survivor's line of sight, necessitating dropping to the ground to continue the fight.
- The Concord deathclaw is a unique enemy. It has relatively low health for a deathclaw (only 100), but has extremely high damage resistance (560). As a result, armor-piercing weapons are particularly effective against it.
- It is possible to complete this quest without ever getting the fusion core and power armor.
- It is possible to get the minigun from the Vertibird without power armor, though this requires a Strength of 8 or more.