Thank you, every tag you bring me is one more soldier at peace.”— First Sergeant Astor, Fallout: New Vegas
|Side Quest: We Will All Go Together|
|Collect irradiated NCR dogtags from ghoulified NCR troopers within Camp Searchlight.|
|Once all ghoul dogtags have been found, return to First Sergeant Astor.|
|Reward: Caps (25) (per dogtag)|
Service rifle (for all 10 dogtags)
25 Experience Points (per dogtag)
First Sergeant: Last Man StandingEdit
The irradiated town and NCR base known as Camp Searchlight has been transformed into a nuclear nightmare. Feral trooper ghouls roam the irradiated town, attacking anyone unfortunate enough to cross their path. A small camp just to the west of the town's radiation signs is home to a squad of NCR soldiers, being led by First Sergeant Astor. One can ask about what has happened, which begins the Eye for an Eye quest. Continuing further into the dialogue, Astor then details that he was stationed at Camp Searchlight before the incident. Asking him if there were any survivors, he will mention that his comrades have been transformed into feral ghouls, and deserve a soldier's death. He is not willing to kill them himself, but wonders if the Courier would be willing to do it for him. Astor requests that they bring them their dogtags to him in return for caps for each dogtag, and a service rifle in exchange for 10. He then provides Rad-X and RadAway to counteract the cloud of radiation hanging over Searchlight.
Although Astor mentions he wants "at least" ten dogtags found, there are only ten on the local ghouls in Camp Searchlight, and cannot be turned into Quartermaster Mayes like the usual NCR dogtags because they're "irradiated." One must move forward into Searchlight, and wipe out each and every one of the trooper ghouls in the area. (Pay special attention to those who don't have the feral ghoul model). There are 9 of these tags to be found in this manner. Several feral trooper ghouls can be found:
- Close to the police station.
- By the fire station.
- In the vicinity of the chapel, and the NCR storage area on the west side of town.
- Near the turrets on the far east of town.
Note Only nine dogtags can be found from these ghouls. To finish the quest, either search the dwellings in and around town (which will be locked unless you have completed Wheel of Fortune), and locate any additional bodies in there, or deal with Private Edwards. Because the remaining segment of this quest is buggy and deals with many conditional dialogue options, it is highly recommended that you save prior to turning in any dogtags and prior to speaking with Private Kyle Edwards.
A final dogtag is around the neck of an NCR soldier inside a Searchlight home southeast of the west chapel (the single story white building). Enter the house and confront the ghoulified trooper: Private Kyle Edwards. Once you begin a conversation he introduces himself and explains that he's still of sane mind, but after being ghoulified, he knows he will be shot at by his former colleagues before he can explain he's not feral. It is possible to have a conversation about him and his life, but to complete the main quest, the Courier must tell him they have noticed he's wearing an NCR dogtags. At this point, the courier may:
- Kill Private Edwards, and loot his dogtags.
- Obtain through a speech check: Ask for the dogtags, which he won't initially give up. Tell him that "his humanity is a part of him, and not in the dogtag." If successful Edwards will reluctantly hand over his dogtags.
- Pickpocket the dog tags from him.
- Using superior physicality to intimidate him into giving it up.
- Note that obtaining Edwards' dogtags by these methods eliminates First Sergeant Astor's dialogue options that allow Kyle Edwards to rejoin his old unit or to transfer to Ranger Station Echo. To retain these options, proceed immediately to discuss Edwards with Astor, along the lines discussed below.
OR tell Edwards that Astor wants to kill him for his dog tag because he thinks everyone in Searchlight is feral. After that, additional dialogue options emerge:
- Convince him to try to kill Astor. He agrees and leaves the home. At this point, he may be killed by radscorpions, or be shot by the Courier, or be shot by Astor and his team. If Astor dies, the quest fails, and the rewards cannot be received. Typically there will be 3 newly spawned Giant Radscorpions waiting outside the house after Edward mentions them, thus clearing the area first won't matter in this respect.
Additionally, the courier may also ask "there must be someplace you can go." Edwards admits he's afraid of the radiation. If you ask if that's "the only thing you're afraid of," and Edwards admits he's scared of radscorpions, too. At this point, one can:
- Lie to Edwards about having killed all the radscorpions. Thinking it is now safe to leave, Edwards departs, and is set upon by three newly spawned radscorpions. He can die, and becomes loot-able for the dogtag, or he can survive, and he will begin to walk away, and the quest will remain incomplete unless the courier kills him, and loots the dogtags.
- Head outside, kill the 3 spawned radscorpions, and return to Edwards, and explain the that they have been taken care of. He may now leave the house if you choose the option "Isn't there somewhere you can go" explaining "it is a big wasteland" and Private Edwards will then express his thanks, and will provide a reward of 50 caps, 90XP, and some Good Karma. His dogtags will be inside of his house on the floor next to his bed, able to be stolen with no karma penalty. You will then be able to complete the quest.
At this point, after killing the radscorpions and returning to Edwards, as above, the courier may return to First Sergeant Astor and explain Private Edwards' predicament, Astor will first say that Edwards should be put down. But after explaining that Edwards is not feral the courier has two options:
- Although Astor would shoot him on sight, he advises that there's a Ranger station north of Searchlight that might be interested in taking him in (someplace else Edwards may go); and they have ghouls there, too. Return to Edwards and tell him this after saying "I'm sure there is someplace you can go" and advising that there is an NCR camp that is occupied by ghouls, he'll set his dogtags down next to him and sets off for Ranger station Echo.
- Pass Astor's Speech or Intelligence challenges, Astor will give Edwards a chance to join his camp. Note: if dogtags have already been obtained, then this dialogue option to convince Astor to let Edwards rejoin is not available. Return to Edwards and again do as posted above: Ask for the dogtags, which Edwards won't want to give up. Obtain them through a speech check: Tell him that "his humanity is a part of him, and not in the dogtag." If successful Edwards will reluctantly hand over his dogtags. Only then should Edwards be told that Astor will allow him to join the NCR patrol at Camp Searchlight. Private Edwards then sets off for Astor's tent at Camp Searchlight.
When Private Edward's situation has been resolved, return to First Sergeant Astor, and cash in the dogtags. This may be done at any time.
- If Private Edwards joins First Sergeant Astor, Edwards will not go on Astor's patrols, but he will remain at the Camp Searchlight tent.
- Private Edwards will defend against a random patrol of Caesar's Legion that some times re-spawn either on the road, or behind the tent at Camp Searchlight.
- The general vicinity east of Camp Searchlight is patrolled by re-spawning feral ghoul NCR troopers of various types as far north as the Coyote Mines to as far south as the outskirts of the Searchlight Airport. These ghouls do not carry dogtags, but roam nearby enough that they may register on the compass.
- If stated that "there are plenty of places out in the wasteland" when Pvt. Edwards asks for suggestions on where to go, he will set off for the Mesquite Mountains camp site, which is ironically inhabited by several types of radscorpions, and the area is irradiated as well. If Pvt. Edwards is allowed to get killed by the radscorpions, a loss of Karma will be awarded.
Behind the scenesEdit
The quest title refers to the song "We Will All Go Together When We Go" by Tom Lehrer. The lyrics for the song talk about the inevitably total devastation of nuclear war in a darkly humorous manner with a light upbeat melody.
- xbox360 ps3 Occasionally, speaking with Edwards won't present any special dialogue options (intimidation, attacking Astor, etc.), and his dogtag will not be in the inventory if you kill him. The marker on the map will show the center of town, but no ghouls or corpses will be present making it impossible to complete this quest. PC users can use player.additem 0013fe77 1 to add a dogtag to your inventory, which can be presented to Astor for the reward. Alternatively, go back to the house where Private Edwards was and look around on the floor, you may sometimes find the 10th set of dogtags lying on the floor. [verified]
- xbox360 Sometimes if the dialogue between Astor and Edwards is not initiated in the correct order, or if dogtags are turned in you will not get dialogue options to free Edwards from his house in Camp Searchlight and the associated rewards with it.
- xbox360 The Barter check to increase your reward with Astor may be missing when you begin the quest.
- xbox360 The dialogue option with Edwards to rejoin his camp with Astor may be available, but the corresponding Intelligence and Speech checks with Astor are missing, resulting in no way for the courier to return Edwards to his original comrades, leaving going to Ranger station Echo or just exploring the "plenty of places out in the wasteland" as the only the options to get Edwards out of the house.
- pc If you happen to get the dogtags from Private Edwards and then want to help him join Astor or get him to leave the house you have to reset (resetquest 0014050C) the quest first. Then speak to Astor and get the quest again. Then go back to Edwards and resurrect him so he respawns with the dogtags. Do player.additem and add 9 dogtags. Speak to Edwards and tell him you'll speak to Astor. Give him the 9 tags then speak to him about Edwards. Convince him and then go tell Edwards. Edwards will run off and drop the tag again which you can give to Astor to complete the quest. If he doesn't drop it again then just do player.additem 1 more time and give it to Astor. [verified]
- pc If you collect Logan and his prospectors and travel with them through the town before starting this quest, it is possible to lose a ghoul corpse and thus a dogtag.
- xbox360 If Private Edwards is sent to Ranger Station Echo, He can get stuck in the mountains south of Station Echo. [verified]
- xbox360 pc Sometimes he stands outside his house and doesn't give the Courier his dogtag after they convince him to go to the ranger station. [verified]