| ||For other uses of the term wastelander in the Fallout series, see wastelander.|
Wastelander is a catch-all term for anyone living in the wasteland who is not affiliated with any other groups. They make a subsistence living off the land, trade with local settlements, and try not to be ravaged by the abundant (and usually hostile) wildlife, or bands of roaming raider gangs or slavers. Most are not aggressive but will defend themselves if attacked.
Some wastelanders will not want to open dialogue and tend to be rude, while others are pleasant and friendly towards the Lone Wanderer. Most are encountered by the Lone Wanderer in random encounters. These wastelanders are usually fleeing from anything from mole rats to a deathclaw, others may fight against these creatures, and some unlucky wastelanders are encountered already dead.
All generic wastelanders, and most involved in random encounters, will wander aimlessly in their general area; however, some may disappear after a while.
Interactions with the player characterEdit
Wastelanders not involved in random encounters can be found in fixed locations such as:
- A wastelander being chased by a raider with a flamethrower will appear just outside the Calverton chapel.
- A wastelander wired with a bomb will appear outside the canyon leading to Evergreen Mills after the completion of The Waters of Life if Broken Steel is installed.
- Two hostile ghoul wastelanders live inside the pylon shack, Sometimes, they can be dead when reached.
- Three hostile ghoul wastelanders occupy the ghoul outpost.
- Four hostile ghoul wastelanders occupy the wasteland gypsy village.
- One wastelander is the unlucky target of the claw aboard Mothership Zeta.
- One can be found dead near a wasteland captive. She can be found down the highway near Friendship Heights. She has a unique model, unused by any other NPC. Nearby, near the fire behind the steel walls set up by super mutants, lies another dead wastelander with a unique model. These wastelanders may be found alive.
- One can be found fighting a super mutant in the back of a blue truck just outside of Pennsylvania Avenue. If he or she survives, they will wander around the Brotherhood checkpoint.
- One can be found dead just across from an entrance to Metro Central and down the street from the Brotherhood checkpoint in Pennsylvania Avenue, secluded behind sandbags and car.
- Two can be found in the wastelander campsite, usually sitting near the fire.
- Two dead wastelanders can be found at the sewer exit, close to the Riverboat landing.
|Brahmin-skin outfit or
wasteland wanderer outfit or
wasteland settler outfit
motorcycle helmet or
Stormchaser hat or
biker goggles or
Ballcap with glasses*
|Pool cue or hunting rifle or
baseball bat or
combat knife or police baton or
knife or lead pipe or
tire iron or .32 pistol or
Chinese pistol or sledgehammer
and frag grenade**
* 25% chance of spawning headgear.
** 20% chance of spawning a frag grenade.
- "I'll mind my business, you mind yours."
- "I've got nothing to say to you. Best move on."
- "I'm not looking for trouble, or conversation either."
- "Let me be blunt. Go away."
- "How about you just mind your own business, okay?"
- "I don't know you, you don't know me. Let's keep it that way."
- The Preacher: A crazed inhabitant of Seward Square. His hostage, who offers some unique dialogue, is also called "Wastelander".
- John: An inhabitant of the wasteland killed by a pack of vicious dogs.
- Ghoul scientist: A hostile scientist attempting to use the United States' nuclear arsenal to eradicate life on a massive scale.
Wastelanders in random encountersEdit
Although a majority of wastelanders offer little dialogue or are encountered dead by the player character, there are a number of wastelanders in random encounters that offer some unique interactions. The following is a list of these wastlanders.
|Character||Race||Karma||SPECIAL||HP||Inventory||Related Encounter||Description||Other interactions|
|Grayditch wastelander||Human, Hispanic||Neutral||5 ST, 5 PE, 5 EN, 5 CH, 5 IN, 5 AG, 5 LK||70||Wasteland apparel||Escape from Grayditch||When encountered, he will run up to the Lone Wanderer and tell them that he is fleeing from "those things" that burned down Grayditch. This will mark Grayditch on the player character's pip-boy if it isn't already marked. The player character can attempt to calm him down or demand that he "make sense," but all dialogue options will result in the wastelander ending the conversation and continuing to flee.||Can be mezzed|
|Oasis wastelanders||Human||Neutral||6 ST, 5 PE, 4 EN, 4 CH, 4 IN, 6 AG, 4 LK||25|| Merc outfit|
Random caps, food, or liquor
|Oasis Raiders||Encountered in a small group, these wastelanders are plotting to raid Oasis. If the player character question them about what they're doing, they will divulge to the player character their plan before attacking. They will not attack if the player character does not inquire about what they're doing.||Can be mezzed|
|Deathclaw wastelanders||Human||Neutral||6 ST, 5 PE, 4 EN, 4 CH, 4 IN, 6 AG, 4 LK|| 85,|
90 → 110 → 135 (Broken Steel only)
|Generic wastelander inventory||Deathclaw Chase||These three wastelanders, two men and one woman, are encountered fleeing from a deathclaw. If they escape from the deathclaw or if it is killed, they will present the player character with a map to Rock Creek Caverns. The wastelander that gives this to the player character will explain that they were headed there, but were dissuaded after encountering the deathclaw.||Can be mezzed|
|Radscorpion wastelanders||Human||Neutral||6 ST, 5 PE, 4 EN, 4 CH, 4 IN, 6 AG, 4 LK||25||Generic wastelander inventory (Only a wastelander outfit for the male)||Radscorpion Guarding Refrigerator||This pair of wastelanders is seen having encountered a radscorpion while attempting to retrieve water from a refrigerator. The man will immediately flee, but the woman will attempt to attack the radscorpion. If it is killed, the wastelanders (if they're still alive) will allow the player character to take some water, and the two will then drink some of the water themselves.||Can be mezzed|
|Frag mine wastelanders||Human||Neutral||6 ST, 5 PE, 4 EN, 4 CH, 4 IN, 6 AG, 4 LK||25||Generic wastelander inventory||Minefield Dismantling||These two wastelanders are seen standing near a few frag mines. One will say to the other that he's going to "pull this hunk of metal out of the ground", referring to the frag mine. The second wastelander expresses doubt over the other's ability to grab the mine safely and asks, "what if it's armed?" The other then accidentally detonates the mine, killing them both.||Can be mezzed|
|Sam Warrick's victim||Human||Neutral||5 ST, 5 PE, 1 EN, 5 CH, 5 IN, 5 AG, 5 LK||1||Generic wastelander inventory||Going Camping||This wastelander is encountered fleeing from Sam Warrick, a hostile wanderer, who is seen firing at the wastelander, their low health making them highly venerable.||Can be mezzed|
|Hunters' victim||Human||Neutral||6 ST, 5 PE, 4 EN, 4 CH, 4 IN, 6 AG, 4 LK||80||Generic wastelander inventory||Hunting the Most Delicious Flesh of All and following encounters with the hunters||This wastelander is seen running from a group of three hunters, all of whom are firing at the wastelander. If they are killed, their corpse is considered owned by the hunters, and these hunters will turn hostile to the player if the wastelander's corpse is looted.||Can be mezzed|