The B-29, raised to the surface
You picked a good time to stop by, for we're swimming in problems. My youngers can tell you all about it.”— Pearl
|Side Quest: Volare!|
|Once you're idolized by the Boomers, report to Pearl in her barracks. She tells you about the Boomers' dream of raising a sunken bomber, the B-29.|
|Talk to Loyal about the airplane, he tells you it's at the bottom of Lake Mead. He will give you Loyal's detonator and two floating devices to attach to the plane.|
|(Optional) Get a rebreather from Jack to let you breathe underwater indefinitely. The Courier must have a science skill of 45 or a pressure cooker to obtain it.|
|Travel to the map marker to find the Crashed B-29, near Callville Bay.|
|Attach the ballasts to the underside of each wing.|
|Equip Loyal's detonator and fire.|
|Travel back to Nellis and speak to Loyal then Pearl to complete the quest.|
|Reward: 500 XP|
Boomer flightsuit & Boomers helmet
|Leads to: Sunshine Boogie|
Volare! is the final quest you'll complete for the Boomers, and the first you will receive upon entering Nellis.
You need to help Boomers around Nellis enough to become Idolized by them. Possibilities to ‘help out’ and achieve fame are:
- Young Hearts
- Ant Misbehavin'
- Sunshine Boogie
- Bear Necessities
- Malleable Mini Boomer Minds
- Missing a Few Missiles
- Iron and Stealing
- Helping Argyll with his patients.
- Listening to Pete in the museum.
It's not necessary to do all of them, just to achieve enough fame.
After gaining reputation, report back to Pearl in her barracks. She tells you about the Boomers' dream of flight.
At this point, you can proceed directly to the submerged airplane, or get the optional rebreather from Jack to allow you breathe underwater.
- If you want the rebreather, talk to Jack before you set out. Jack will offer to give you a rebreather, but requires you pass a Science check (45) or bring him a pressure cooker.
Travel to the map marker to find the Crashed B-29, near Callville Bay. Quickly dive under and attach the ballasts between the two engines on each side of the bomber under the wings. Once you reach to those parts of the plane, you'll find a hollow 3D image of where you are able to place the ballast.
Once both of the ballasts are attached, travel to Callville Bay (fast traveling to Crashed B-29 map marker will safely put you in a desired spot on the pier). At Callville Bay, Loyal's detonator will start to beep, indicating you are in the correct position. Equip Loyal's detonator as a weapon and fire it to raise the plane.
Travel back to Loyal and speak with him (optional Intelligence check of 7, with no impact on the outcome). Then talk to Pearl to complete the mission, further raising your reputation with the Boomers.
|1||Help the Boomers around Nellis.|
|2||Return to Pearl.|
|3||Speak to Loyal about the Boomer's plan to raise the bomber from the bottom of Lake Mead.|
|4||(Optional) Talk to Jack about getting a rebreather to swim to the bottom of Lake Mead.|
|5||Attach the ballast from Loyal to the B-29 at the bottom of Lake Mead.|
|6||Return to the shore near the tow winch and use Loyal's detonator to float the B-29 to the surface.|
|7||Return to Loyal to let him know the B-29 is up from the bottom of the lake.|
|8||Quest finished||Let Pearl know the bomber is raised from the lake.|
- You must complete this quest if you wish to convince the Boomers to aid you for whomever you side with in the Battle of Hoover Dam.
- To avoid a deathclaw nest on the rail line leading to Callville Bay, you can approach from the south by fast traveling to Boulder City and swimming across Lake Mead to the bomber (lakelurks can attack the player if he/she is in the water however they will not follow you so keep your distance while swimming and you'll be fine).
- Completion of this quest while following the Independent path will also allow you to bluff General Oliver into backing down, with the threat of the Boomers bombing the Dam.
- Going underwater with the rebreather poses no threat to any companions (they stay on the surface).
- Rocket souvenirs can no longer be given to the Mini Boomers once you have completed this quest, it can only be done during the quest.
- Radio New Vegas will mention the B-29 upon completion, talking about the "Lake Mead Monster" and how unfortunately the pictures are "grainy and underdeveloped". Mr. New Vegas will also mention a plane flying over Freeside.
- It is possible to start the B-29 part with the Liked reputation.
Behind the scenesEdit
- Volare! was outlined by Joshua Eric Sawyer and later fully implemented by Akil Hooper.
- "Volare" means "to fly" in Italian.
- "Volare" is the name of an Italian song by Domenico Modugno. An English version was sung by, among others, Dean Martin. 
- A B-29 did crash in Lake Mead, mostly intact, in 1948.
- The sequence in the museum may be a reference to a famous similar sequence in "Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome" in which a group of children tell Max the story of their town through cave paintings.
- xbox360 pc Sometimes after completing the quest, the bomber in the hangar will not be repaired. It will look the same as if you did not start the quest. Note the fix on the Nellis hangars bugs section. [verified]
- ps3 xbox360 pc Sometimes when you start the history lesson at the museum in Nellis AFB, Pete will begin talking about the boomers, then when he finishes his first part of the speech, he wont move and will stand still forcing you to either leave the building, load the game, or stay in the musem and sleep in the bed after he finishes the first part of the history. [verified]
- ps3 xbox360 Sometimes Loyal will not be in the hangar after this quest, making Raul's side quest useless since you won't be able to talk to him. He will not appear in his home either, he can likely be found glitched into Black Mountain (still making the quest useless). [verified]
- xbox360 Sometimes the quest is made active after your first conversation with Pearl, regardless of you reputation with the boomers or your Karma. [verified]
- pc It's possible to enter Nellis AFB at the gate via non-player character conversation in the middle of an active artillery barrage, unfortunately after doing so however, you continue to be barraged when leaving Nellis AFB later on. [verified]
- pc ps3 If you chose to kill Pearl and Loyal while Jack isn't present, there is a chance he will not be hostile to you and will behave as though you helped raise the B-29 bomber and you can still give scrap metal to him. If you haven't spoken to him about his crush yet, the dialogue will still be available though you still can't begin the quest due to failing it by killing Pearl. [verified]