The extent to which the simulators replicate reality is unknown - in some cases, being killed in the simulation results in the person being killed in real life. It is possible this is only an extreme case, (as it is a fail safe in Vault 112, and a method of unlocking an armory in the VSS facility.) Since, as previously stated, these simulators are known to have no civilian or entertainment applications, the question remains whether they were part of a previous training simulation or other project, possibly involving the development of power armor. Again, due to the limited information available since the bombs fell, this may never be known.
Known VR simulatorsEdit
There are at least five known sites with VR simulators:
- A Vault-Tec prototype simulation (currently running the active program Tranquility Lane) in Vault 112 (run by Stanislaus Braun as part of the Vault Experiment).
- Virtual Strategic Solutions's Anchorage Reclamation simulation in the VSS facility (now known as the Outcast outpost).
- The simulator at the VSS facility is labeled "SIM-U-TEC Chamber 003", suggesting that at least 2 more simulators were built by VSS Inc. Whether these were functional or not is unknown. It is possible that there are simulator rooms behind the doors; you see them when you go down with the elevator.
- Flight simulators at Nellis Air Force Base.
- VR simulators in the Brotherhood of Steel Hidden Valley bunker.
- The broken VR in the Stealth Test Area #2 room in the X-13 research facility at Big MT.
- In fallout 4 Doctor Amari, memory specialist at the Memory Den. Where people use simulation pods to access their past memories.
- The VR pods in the Brotherhood of Steel bunker and Nellis Air Force Base display pictures of Tranquility Lane, despite being used for combat training. This is most likely because the same model from Fallout 3 was used.
- The VR pods in Fallout: New Vegas that are located in the mess hall & munitions storage can't be used. Loyal will deny the codes for them. He directs you to Pete for more information, however Pete can't be asked about the pods.