Entrance to Vault 87 will be particularly difficult for you, I'm afraid. The area is highly irradiated; lethal levels are all around the entrance. Gaining direct access will be... quite impossible.”— Scribe Rothchild
Vault 87 is one of the vault series of fallout shelters developed by Vault-Tec. It is located northwest of Little Lamplight and southwest of Broadcast tower KT8. It is the birthplace of the super mutants and centaurs in the Capital Wasteland.
Evidence suggests that the overseer and his security guards were not aware of the Forced Evolutionary Virus' true nature, but were simply following orders from Vault-Tec. When the first vault dwellers were turned into super mutants, they in turn forcibly mutated the others, until the remaining population were either mutated or killed.
The Vault 87 super mutants are obsessed with the preservation of their brand new species. Since they are all sterile, they kidnap humans from all over the Capital Wasteland and bring them to the Vault to be mutated. They had been doing so for nearly 200 years, until their source of FEV started to run out. Because of the shortage of the "green stuff," there are now super mutant bands searching all over the Capital Wasteland for a new source of the virus.
The Vault entranceEdit
The radiation near the above ground entrance to Vault 87 is the highest in the game (as well as the entire Fallout series), peaking at well over 3,500 rads/second, which is fatal in a third of a second.
|The following is based on Fallout 3 cut content and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
The Overseer's terminal states, "I'm quite sad to report that due to a direct hit from what I presume to be a nuclear weapon on the entry area of Vault 87, we will be unable to provide the Scouting Reports as outlined in Vault-Tec's Operations Manual. The main door to Vault 87 is damaged beyond repair and we are detecting extremely high levels of lethal radiation outside and in the entry tunnel."
|End of information based on Fallout 3 cut content.|
It is possible to reach the entrance through the extensive use of RadAway in combination with clothing providing radiation resistance and Rad-X. However, as the Overseer's message states, the door is inaccessible, making the Vault impossible to enter from above ground. The map marker will activate near the entrance. There is a dead scientist in a radiation suit that can be found near the vault door, as well as RadAway and Rad-X, presumably carried by the scientist, but apparently not enough to prevent her death by massive radiation exposure.
The entrance can also be found from within. The test labs section of the Vault has a key-locked door near where you're captured and taken to Raven Rock at the end of the quest. Going in there will reveal the vault door, though nothing is behind it.
Super mutants have built a barricade of broken girders and wrecked cars around the entrance. If you do decide to venture into this one-way death trap, be sure to defeat them before going in. Remember that super mutants can be exposed to intense radiation without suffering any effects, like the possible companion Fawkes.
Strangely, you can fast travel from the vault's entrance despite the heavy radiation which normally prevents fast travel. Though, almost always, you will arrive dead.
An Enclave eyebot is usually seen patrolling south of the entrance.
Accessing Vault 87Edit
Before you can access Vault 87, you must complete The Waters of Life, a part of the main quest line, by speaking with Scribe Rothchild in the Citadel. You will then be sent there to recover the Garden of Eden Creation Kit, also known as the G.E.C.K.
Vault 87 can only be accessed through Little Lamplight. The player will have the option of questioning Mayor MacCready about how to access it. The mayor will suggest taking Murder Pass. However, he will also inform the player that there is a broken computer terminal in Little Lamplight that will allow direct access to the Vault via a different, safer route. If you have the ability to access this route, it is highly recommended to take it, as Murder Pass is difficult to traverse without injury and will result in significant ammunition usage.
To access the terminal, the player must speak to Joseph (as directed by MacCready). Joseph can fix the broken terminal, allowing it to be hacked, but he will only do so if the player has rescued Penny from Paradise Falls, if the player has a high enough Science or Speech skill, or through the Child at Heart perk. Joseph can be found in the Little Lamplight schoolhouse in the morning. The player must have a Science skill of 50 to actually hack the terminal to get into the Vault.
If Penny is not rescued, or if Joseph becomes upset through dialogue, entrance through Murder Pass will be the only option to get to Vault 87. Located north of the souvenir building, Murder Pass houses several super mutants armed with heavy weaponry like missile launchers and miniguns. There are also a number of traps, so a careful approach is recommended. Mayor MacCready will open the gate for you if asked. Murder Pass is a good choice for earning experience. It also contains several First Aid Boxes, a decent amount of ammunition, and a Nuka-Cola Quantum.
Traveling through the VaultEdit
Vault 87 is very similar to all the other Vaults a player may visit during the game, with narrow, confusing corridors and small rooms connected by the main lobby. Once inside the dimly lit Vault, the player will encounter super mutants, centaurs, super mutant brutes, masters, and, if Broken Steel is installed, super mutant overlords. Super mutants take pride in mutilating the corpses of humans they kill in combat, hence the many skeletons and gore bags found throughout the Vault. The Lone Wanderer can also find the remains of failed FEV subjects.
Eventually, the player will encounter a friendly super mutant named Fawkes, who was sealed in a test chamber and left there decades before. Fawkes, via the intercom, will offer his services in acquiring the G.E.C.K. in return for the player freeing him from his cell. Though the player need not free Fawkes, the super mutant (if freed) will indeed honor this bargain, and will help the player acquire the G.E.C.K. by serving as a guide, as well as attacking any future enemies encountered, and finally, retrieving the device itself from its highly irradiated resting place. Further, if the player has good Karma, Fawkes can be recruited as a follower later on, after The American Dream.
There are two methods to free Fawkes. First, in the room at the end of the right hallway, you can set off the fire alarm in a room inhabited by two super mutant variants, which will open all five isolation rooms. However, this is not recommended, as in the process, two centaurs and a hostile non-player character will also be freed. It is advisable that the player instead should hack the average-rated terminal located next to the fire alarm to unlock an individual chamber, of which Fawkes' cell is the fifth.
- This is the only time Fawkes' super sledge can be acquired; you must either kill Fawkes or trade weapons with him to get it.
- A copy of Nikola Tesla and You can be found in a wooden box at the feet of a mannequin in the southwestern-most dead-end tunnel of the Reactor Chamber, along with four bottles of whiskey (from the Murder Pass entrance, turn left and go downstairs, turn left again, then through the door at the end of the corridor).
- A copy of Pugilism Illustrated is on a shelf in the storage room behind an average locked door on the south side of the catwalk level of the living quarters. The room is on the top part of the catwalk in the south hallway. There is also a Nuka-Cola Quantum in this room.
- The highest radiation level detected when approaching the Vault is 3616 rads per second, in the central area: if you get to the door then it will reduce to approximately 2100-3500 rads per second.
- Fast-traveling to the Vault 87 map marker does not put you near the irradiated vault entrance; instead, it deposits you safely outside the south-by-southwest gate that's guarded by super mutants.
- An Outcast Patrol spawn point is located on the road due south of the Vault 87 map marker, near a ruined car.
- If you stand a step behind the door where the G.E.C.K. is, your Geiger counter will go silent and you will not receive any more rads until you move from that spot.
- It is possible to trigger the G.E.C.K by going into the chamber before Fawkes and selecting the right option. However, the activation will cause an explosion from the G.E.C.K., and will kill you.
- Although the maintenance tech's computer says his wife Mercia was taken by the EEP program and killed, her cause of death in the Medical Records computer is listed as 'Cancer Type I', as opposed to the 'unexplained' designation that victims of the EEP have.
- Ironically enough, while the outside of the Vault has lethal amounts of radiation, sinks and toilets inside the Vault have less rads than normal ones in the Capital Wasteland.
- Inside the Vault, there are several locked doors that contain RadAway, ammunition, and other various things such as Rad-X and radiation suits.
- A complete list of all individuals in Vault 87 can be found on a terminal in the medical bay.
- On the way from Fawkes' isolation room to the G.E.C.K. storage room, there is a door that says "Requires Key," but the game designers did not intend for the player to be able to open it. Using console commands to either unlock or walk through this door leads to an empty room containing the closed main vault door for Vault 87, complete with an "87" logo on the outside. The player can "use" the door, and it will be opened/closed via a mechanical arm (just like in other Vault's with working doors); however, there is nothing on the other side except for a small platform that opens into empty space. Walking off the edge of the platform into the empty space will cause the player character to be redeposited in front of Fawkes' isolation room.
- In the room where the G.E.C.K. is located, you can receive as much as 145 rads/second upon walking the first few steps. If you have enough items that prevent radiation and you can see where the G.E.C.K. is, take a right.
- In the main area, there are two locked doors requiring 100 Lockpick to open. They are nothing else but shortcuts.
- Before setting off the fire alarm, you can terminate your foes by hacking the terminals near each isolation room door. Each terminal also provides the option of unlocking its respective door. One exception is the terminal to Fawkes' room which can be hacked, but cannot be used to unlock the door.
- Retrieving the G.E.C.K. is possible by yourself, without the help of console commands. Since it will take you about 10–15 seconds to get killed by radiation poisoning, you should have enough rad-prevention items for 8 minutes at the most, along with a high Medicine skill, and some rad-friendly perks.
- Due to the fact that you may lose your companions when you are arrested by the Enclave, you will need to rehire them. If you have two companions, aside from Dogmeat, you will only be able to rehire Dogmeat and one other companion, so it's a good idea to tell them to wait in Little Lamplight before you go to Vault 87.
- The number of undefined deaths on the medical terminal is 87.
Vault 87 appears only in Fallout 3.
- ps3 xbox360 If you go to the door in Little Lamplight that requires the broken terminal to be repaired, you may find it is already open and you can get into Vault 87 with no problems. [verified]
- ps3 xbox360 Upon re-entering the Vault with Fawkes after completing the quest, if you select the "Kill subject" option on the terminal outside of Fawkes' old cell, he will instantly die if he enters it, even if he is not in the room when the fire is released. [verified]
- xbox360 Exiting the Test Labs area, Charon might randomly "die". Highlighting him will say "Talk Charon", but pressing A will open up his inventory. [verified]
- pc ps3 Exiting the Test Labs area, Star Paladin Cross will "die". She drops dead on the floor at the other side of the doors. Her body will follow you at every door. If you asked her to wait for you before exiting, she will drop on the floor where you left her. In any case, highlighting her will say "Talk Star Paladin Cross", but pressing the dialogue button will open up her inventory. [verified]
- ps3 Exiting the Test Labs area, Dogmeat will "die". Highlighting him will say "Talk Dogmeat", but pressing X will open up his inventory. [verification needed]