| ||For the location, see Vault 81.|
|Side quest: Vault 81|
|Find 3 fusion cores.|
|Use the Vault 81 intercom to report progress.|
|Talk to overseer McNamara.|
|Deliver the fusion cores to overseer McNamara.|
|Reward: 75 XP|
Access to Vault 81
|Leads to: Here Kitty, Kitty|
When the Sole Survivor arrives at Vault 81, they proceed to connect their Pip-Boy to the entrance button in an attempt to open the vault doors, however they are greeted by the present occupants of the vault, who are descendants from the original members of Vault 81. The vault is one of the few that hasn't been captured or overthrown, and remains orderly and secure for the residents.
The Survivor is told by the overseer of Vault 81 that if they want to enter their vault, they need to bring three fusion cores as means of payment. Alternately the Survivor may pass a difficult persuasion check to get in without paying the cores.
If the Survivor chose to part with the cores, then, after presenting them to the overseer, they will be compensated with 100 bottlecaps, and allowed to enter the vault. Overseer Gwen will welcome them, and they will be allowed to trade and interact with the residents of Vault 81. Overseer Gwen explains to the Survivor that although the vault can provide a lot of resources for themselves, sometimes they require outside materials to make sure the vault is stable.
- The trader located outside the entrance to the vault will occasionally carry fusion cores, making this quest a simple case of walking out and back in.
- Used cores will fulfill the requirement just as well as fresh cores. If entering the vault early in the game, when cores are not widely available, this should mitigate the relatively high cost of admission while still getting some use out of power armor. However, if one has both used and unused cores, the game may prioritize the unused cores when removing from your inventory, so be sure to store them, drop them, or hand them to a companion if you only want to give up used cores.
- If the Survivor has any of the companions currently in the their service, vault security officer Scott Edwards will express his concern to Overseer McNamara, but she allows the companion to remain in the vault without incident.
- If wearing power armor, the overseer will inform you that some of the residents will be uneasy.
- Once you enter the vault, dropping your fusion cores once the overseer begins to talk will allow you to enter the inner vault without losing any fusion cores, and still get the 100 caps compensation.
- The door leading further into the vault is marked 'Inaccessible' until you've completed the conversation with McNamara, whether you give her cores legitimately or use the exploit above.
- ps4 xboxone When you pass the persuasion check there is a chance that the door used to head deeper into the vault will not open and remain inaccessible. There is no currently found fix for the issue.[verified]
- ps4 When you enter the vault, McNamara will finish her conversation with Calvin and then just look at you. If you try to interact with her she will just stare at you. Saving and reloading the game does not appear to solve this issue. It may be caused by dropping your cores after entering the vault but before talking to McNamara; picking them up again resolves the issue in this case. [verified]
This article is too short to provide more than rudimentary information about the subject. You can help Nukapedia by expanding it.