To Vault Security: If any of our residents notice any unusual odor or faint taste to the air, please assure them that everything is okay. There was a slight irregularity in our filtration system but nothing to cause alarm; the systems have already been corrected and are 100% functional again. If you notice anyone acting out in a strange manner, please report the disturbance immediately so medical assistance can be sent.”— Vault 106 Overseer
Vault 106 is one of the Vault-Tec Vaults located in the Capital Wasteland. It is located within a large cavern southeast of Arefu, directly south of Kaelyn's Bed & Breakfast, and a bit north of Jury Street Metro station.
As part of the Vault Experiment, psychoactive drugs were released into the Vault 106 air filtration system 10 days after the door was sealed. By 2277, the vault's interior is mostly destroyed, and filled with insane survivors. The psychoactive drugs are still being pumped through the vault's air filtration systems, as evidenced by the player's vision suddenly being shaded blue at the same time that hallucinations appear. Information in the vault's computer terminals reveals that the Overseer knew that the inhabitants of his vault would be fodder for drug testing and he instructed his security personnel to tell those in the vault that everything was fine. At the very end of the vault is a cave-like area, where skeletons and other items are located, including a mini nuke, suggesting some of the vault dwellers may have been trying to blow their way out.
|Official Vault-Tec Info (from Computer at the Citadel)|
|Started construction||March 2064|
|Ended construction||December 2069|
|Computer system||Think Machine 2800x|
|Primary power supply||Rok-Solid Brand Geo-Thermal|
|Secondary power supply||General Atomics Nuclear power|
|Overseer||Dr. Albert Leris|
- Several insane survivors inhabit Vault 106. They wear Vault 106 jumpsuits and wield a variety of melee weapons, such as lead pipes, knives, baseball bats, pool cues, Chinese officer's swords, sledgehammers (at high levels), etc. Despite not wearing armor, the insane survivors are slightly tougher than the average raider.
- A "survivor" (who has the same ambient/combat voice files as a raider) is on the lowest level, at the end of the science lab section, wearing a Vault lab uniform and wielding a baseball bat.
When first encountered, the survivor will activate a Stealth Boy. (This is evidenced by the fact that your non-human followers will have a hard time shooting the Survivor as well; if it were a hallucination, only the Lone Wanderer would have difficulty). The Stealth Boy will remain active until the survivor is killed. The player then has a hallucination in which the Tunnel Snakes (Butch DeLoria, Wally Mack and Paul Hannon) from Vault 101 attempt to kill the player. After the survivor sustains some damage, the Tunnel Snakes will use Stealth Boys and flee, and the player will see as if in a hallucination (with the purple tint). This will end after killing the survivor. It is worth noting that if the Tunnel Snakes are killed by the Lone Wanderer or if the player uses the Mesmetron on them in the hallucination, they just disappear without leaving a body behind. Both killing them and them fleeing ends the hallucination.
- The Science bobblehead is located in the living quarters. After you first enter the living quarters (it's a two level room: top level), enter the door on the far left hand side of the room, diagonally across from where you first enter. Proceed to a hallway into a fairly large room (for a vault); this room has 3 windows on each side that look into a subterranean cave. The bobblehead is on a bookshelf against the back wall (3rd shelf)
- A copy of Nikola Tesla and You is inside the classroom in the living quarters - the room to your left after you first enter the living quarters area. It's hidden in the bottom wooden box of those stacked on the teacher's desk.
- A poem entitled "Scribbles" is found on a table with a monitor on it, near the entrance to the Overseer's office.
- A book Tumblers Today is on the science lab level. From the entrance, head straight down the corridor and take the stairs to the right. It's the first door on the right after the stairs, in the large room with all the machines. Turn left after entering and head to the back of the room - the book is on top of an overturned machine, near to the window (two bottles of milk are also on top).
- A mini nuke is in the final room of the science lab area, just past the fight with the Vault 106 survivor.
- There are two Vault 106 master keys located in the Vault. One can be found next to a functional computer terminal in the northwest corner of a room in the living quarters that is only accessible through the science labs. (You can see the room and the science lab's door through barred windows in the living quarters, but you have to go through a door in a room with a reactor in the labs to get to it.) There is also a hidden key at the bottom of a shelf in the store room, behind the one where you fight the Vault 106 survivor. This key cannot be picked up without using the tcl command and going as close as possible to the key.
- If you close the vault door while inside, it appears there is no legitimate way of leaving as there is no vault door control pad inside. One method of opening it however is to implement the same technique used to obtain Colonel Autumn's 10mm pistol, when on the left side of the door next to the raised area, flip the camera round where the controls are on the other side. This can take several attempts. As well as this, if you have a companion with you, asking them to leave you will result in them leaving via the door, thus opening it.
- Vault 106 was originally filled with water. 
- You see doubles or triples of your father and Amata in two separate occasions while you are affected by the drug. Butch is also seen as an apparition at one point. Killing the apparitions results in a loss of Karma. If you try to talk to your dad as an apparition, he disappears.
- Behind a Very Easy difficulty locked door on the Vault 106 entrance floor, a locked terminal with Very Hard difficulty contains a letter sent by the Overseer to Vault 106 Security, falsely stating that the unusual odor or faint taste in the air was due to a slight irregularity in the vault air filtration system and instructing the security personnel to tell concerned residents this same lie.
- Down one flight of stairs from the Vault 106 entrance level (stairs on the right coming from the vault entrance), on a table in the first room on the right there is another note under a book, entitled torn out journal entry which seems to have been written by one of the dwellers as he was going insane.
- Right in front of the locked (average) door at the bottom of the living quarters is a note entitled "to anyone who gets this" written by a non-insane vault resident and reads at the end "...so if you're not affected say the word 'Fanzini' and I'll let you in.". No use of the word seems to exist.
- Downstairs in the left most room of the male dorms in the living quarters there is a note on the desk entitled "feel the love man" it appears to have been written by one of the insane vault residents.
- In the room where the "survivor" is, there can often be seen to be a conversation going on in the "survivor" spawning point room. You can listen to it if you remain hidden. Often, the topic of conversation is escape, even though the "Survivor" is talking to an "insane survivor". There is no evidence of their attempts to escape.
- As you enter the science labs from the lower floor of the living quarters, there is a window into the room on the left. Looking through the window shows the room upside down (the floor is the ceiling and the ceiling is the floor) but going through the door into the room everything is the right way round. This is the only hallucination in the vault that does not turn the screen blue while it runs its course.
- The Amatas you see in the hallucination don't actually look like Amata.
- All of the apparitions can be killed for experience.
- The survivor is classified as a raider and so he talks like a raider yelling, "No one messes with a raider!" and "Come on boys!"
- The 106 on the vault's door is seemed to be scribbled out. It is unknown what or who caused it.
- You can wait during the hallucinations.
- Grenades, if thrown in a hallucination, will explode once the hallucination has ended but the explosion won't be heard where the grenade was thrown, but it will be heard elsewhere.
- If Fawkes is present for the Tunnel Snake hallucinations, he will see them as well, for some reason, and attack. The same is true for Star Paladin Cross, Charon and Jericho.
- The large, unreachable cavern the vault has been built within is visible from windows in the room containing the Science bobblehead.
- pc ps3 xbox360 The hallucinations of your Dad that appear throughout Vault 106 are always the default Caucasian model, even if you choose a different race for your player character (and thus also for your father). [verified]
- xbox360 The game sometimes defaults your body (though not the head) model to the default Caucasian model, staying that way until you reload the game. [verified]
- pc ps3 xbox360 At higher levels when attacking the Vault 106 survivor, even though the survivor might be dead, the Tunnel Snakes will literally "float" into the room without the blue hallucination backdrop. Killing them grants experience points. [verified]
- pc ps3 xbox360 If you shoot at Amata she will disappear, but if you kill her with one shot you will receive negative karma and her clones will turn hostile towards you but, upon reaching you, they'll just stand next to you giving you an angry look with their fists up. [verified]
- pc ps3 xbox360 Despite the insane survivor's natural hostility toward the player, dropping a live grenade on them grants bad Karma. [verified]
- ps3 xbox360 Some hallucinations that are targeted in V.A.T.S. will cause the game to crash if they disappear while V.A.T.S is zooming in or the player is taking out their weapon. [verified]
- xbox360 If you shut the main Vault door (the round one) it will appear as if it is not shut all of the way. Another way to see this is to leave the door open and you will see that it is in fact pulled farther back than the rest of the vault doors in the Capital Wasteland. [verified]
- xbox360 After having killed the Survivor, if the player attacks his/her corpse the blue hallucination tint will appear. [verified]
- pc ps3 xbox360 Sometimes after killing the Survivor, his/her eyes will blink even though he/she is dead. [verified]
- xbox360 If you go into the overseer's office and jump near the wall to the right, near the terminal station, you will fall out of the map. One way to get back is to step into the void, and you will teleport back into the hallway before the office. [verified]
- The other is to land on the overseer's tunnel as soon as you jump through the wall, face their office and move all the way to the right, and then jump out through small gap in the map to land on a tunnel below (you will lose some health). From there, turn right and ascend the top of the stairs that are the furthest away, forward, from you. After you have reached the top of the stairs, continue heading forward until you reach an opened door, directly East of the door to the Vault Entrance. If you have not yet encountered this hallucination event, you will be teleported into the hall if you close the door and walk over it.
- pc Sometimes the game will malfunction, causing the hallucination of Paul Hannon to become real. You can kill him and get a mint-condition Tunnel Snake outfit off of his body. [verified]