A Vault-Tec branded lunchbox with depictions of Vault-Tec propaganda and various versions of Vault Boy. The inside of the lunchbox has faint drawings of children's faces on the front and rear of the box. These drawings are difficult to see under normal circumstances, as the lunchbox is usually thrown around upon opening, and players often pick the item up immediately without inspecting it. Occasionally, a lunchbox will have a sticker decal, or the name of a child on the front or back.
Each lunchbox contains a randomly selected item, spitting out confetti and releasing objects ranging anywhere from junk items like a fork or plastic knife, to the rarer items such as ice cold Nuka Cola Quantum, or a collectible model. In some cases the lunchboxes may release primed explosives, which will detonate and injure the Sole Survivor if not disarmed.
Vault-Tech lunchboxes can be found all over The Commonwealth, but are most commonly found in Vault-Tec locations, vaults, and schools. Below is an alphabetical list of locations where Vault-Tec lunchboxes can be found.
- Abandoned shack behind the power armor frame underneath a tool case
- Andrew station one inside a box in a Subway Train, another is across from it in a small room on a nightstand. A third is in another subway car further into the station. A fourth is at the opposite end of the tunnels under the Diner. (four total)
- Back Street Apparel in the tractor unit, next to the river.
- Beantown Brewery at the bottom of a support beam behind the 2 large vats on the ground level. There's a teddy bear in a Trilby Hat next to it.
- Boston Public Library one in subway and one on or under a table in the main library (two total).
- Bunker Hill in the utility basement, small room at the end, in a crate on a shelf.
- Cambridge Polymer Labs behind a dividing wall just past the reception desk.
- coastal cottage in a cell in an unmarked hideout located under a bridge to the northeast.
- Concord Civic Access two behind some pipes in the sewer part and in the room across from the mirelurk.
- Concord Speakeasy in an unlocked upstairs bedroom underneath the bed and between the wall and a fallen mattress on the floor.
- Collegiate administration building underneath the stairs.
- D.B. Technical High School has one on a yellow table in the ruined area on the second floor, one on a table beside the bottom of the large concrete ramp leading up to the second floor, and one in the basement, in a shopping cart within the room to the left of where the floodlight is facing. (three total)
- In East Boston Preparatory School there are seven.
- Federal surveillance center K-21B on the bottom floor near the power armor frame
- Fraternal Post 115 on the table outside and to the right of the door.
- Four Leaf fishpacking plant on a cabinet in a small room at the top of the catwalk.
- Gift shop basement next to the lockers in the room with Whiplash and Walter.
- Hideout under the bridge that leads from Coastal Cottage to Mahkra Fishpacking. In a Novice locked bathroom, on the bottom shelf of a shelving unit.
- Holy Mission Congregation on the floor in the pews.
- Hugo's Hole on the table across the matress.
- Jamaica Plain on a picnic table to the left of the Town Hall.
- Lexington in the Parking Garage, inside of a car by the Protectron terminal.
- Mass Bay medical center on the third floor on a couch next to a baby stroller.
- Mass Pike Tunnel West after the entrance, in a half destroyed bus, under a bench with teddy bears on top.
- Medford Memorial hospital in the cafeteria on the first floor, on a table that has a meat bag on it.
- Museum of Witchcraft basement underneath a table.
- Nahant Oceanological Society in the kitchen.
- National Guard armory in the National Guard training yard near the power armor frame.
- Old Gullet sinkhole in a pipe near the bottom, where the water flows to.
- Park Street station on the lowest level, on the right side of the room, on the floor, behind a cigarette machine.
- Parkview Apartments
- Pickman Gallery, held by a skeleton in the basement.
- Poseidon Energy, in the lower flooded levels, at the end of an underwater pipe
- They can often be found in Pulowski Preservation shelters.
- Rocky Cave in the Glowing Sea, on a shelving unit downstairs.
- Sandy Coves Convalescent Home, 1 in the cafeteria, in the arms of someone in a yellow dress on the ground. 1 in the game room on the second floor on the ground
- Saugus Ironworks, in a room off the corridor adjacent to an advanced terminal which opens a set of doors.
- Sentinel Site Prescott, in the lower tunnels. (three or more)
- Separated family radio signal house in West Everett Estates: one in the kitchen and another inside the backyard bunker. (two total)
- Shaw High School one in the cafeteria and one in a classroom on the floor upstairs.
- South Boston High School in the lockers near the front door.
- Suffolk County charter school at least 8, in classrooms, on desks, on the floor, in lockers.
- Super-Duper Mart in the cafeteria on top of a shelf. (Note that it's hard to notice while stealthed.)
- Just northeast of Tenpines Bluff in the house by the railroad tracks.
- Tenpines Bluff northeast corner of the same grid square as Tenpines Bluff. Located just across the railroad tracks and inside a broken down house with tarp awnings.
- Trinity Church sitting on a dresser in the ruins of the basement.
- Walden Pond in the basement near where you find the unique pipe wrench Big Jim.
- Vault-Tec Regional HQ has two in the building and one if you take the elevator to the basement. (three total)
- Virgil's laboratory on a shelf next to the Steamer Trunk.
- Nuka Cola
- Ice cold Nuka Cola
- Nuka Cola Quantum
- Ice cold Nuka Cola Quantum
- Nuka Cherry
- Noodle cup
- Gum drops
- Dandy Boy Apples
- Plastic fork
- Plastic knife
- Plastic spoon
- Table knife
- Dinner fork
- Table spoon
- Economy wonderglue
- It is possible to exploit the lunchbox's item spawn by saving before opening the lunchbox and reloading the save if an undesired item drops. With a fresh item roll each time the save is loaded, it is possible to receive a rarer item, such as a model.
- The names that can be found on the boxes are "Acadia", "Adriana", "Anna", "Becky Becky Becky", "Cole", "Connor", "Dona", "Greesha", "Jack", "Nic", "Sage", "Stan" and "Zane". The two decals are a Nuka Cola bottle and Vault Girl.
- Many possible items are larger than the lunchbox itself.