Variable Removal is a Railroad radiant quest in Fallout 4. It requires the Sole Survivor to go to a random location and eliminate a Courser. If left unchecked, a Courser could cause a lot of damage to the Railroad's infrastructure.
|Railroad radiant quest: Variable Removal|
|Speak to Predictive Analytic Machine.|
Accept the mission.
|Head to the designated location.|
Kill the courser.
|Report to Predictive Analytic Machine.|
|Reward: 300 XP|
1. Eliminate the Courser
The Pip-Boy will have been updated with the location of the Courser (they are different random locations). Travel to that location and eliminate the Courser however necessary. The only kill required to complete the quest is the Courser's, but all of the synths can be destroyed at this location without turning the Institute hostile.
2. Report back to Predictive Analytic Machine
Return to P.A.M. at the Railroad HQ. She will congratulate the player character on a job well done and give bottlecaps or sometimes a weapon as a reward.
- ArcJet Systems
- Boston mayoral shelter
- General Atomics factory
- Mahkra Fishpacking
- Nuka-Galaxy Nuka-World (add-on)
- Poseidon Energy
- Reeb Marina
- Sandy Coves Convalescent Home
- University Point
- Wattz Consumer Electronics
- RobCo Battlezone Nuka-World (add-on)
- Vault-Tec: Among the Stars Nuka-World (add-on)
- Starlight Interstellar Theater Nuka-World (add-on)
- When initiating this quest, P.A.M.'s dialogue will differ depending on whether or not the Institute has been destroyed.
- When the Institute is friendly to the Sole Survivor, killing the Courser does not make them hostile, although it is still considered to be a murder and will be registered as such in the crime stats.
- It is possible for this quest to point to a location in an installed add-on.
- pc ps4 xboxone Sometimes the quest will not be given again once completed, likely due to an error in the radiant quest system.[verification overdue]
- pc ps4 xboxone If P.A.M. is reprogrammed and brought back to the Prydwen after the completion of Tactical Thinking, the quest will still be given as if you are still a member of the Railroad.[verified]
- One can use the console command setstage 00186c79 300 to fix this.
- pc ps4 xboxone The radiant target may sometimes fail to change and can become locked into one location, e.g. only ever having the courser appear at University Point and not at any other location.[verified]
- pc ps4 xboxone If the target location is the RobCo Battlezone, the courser may spawn beneath the arena and cannot be reached to complete the quest.[verified]
- It is possible to use the console command MoveToQuestTarget <QuestID> to teleport to the Courser and then to P.A.M.