|Maintenance manual||Nominated for deletion||Broken redirects||Double redirects||New pages|
|Dead end pages||Uncategorized categ.||Uncategorized files||Uncategorized pages||Wanted categories|
| ||Archives: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13, #14|
Abundant dulcibus vitiis
Until future notice, I am no longer an active Administrator here at Nukapedia. For further queries that require immediate attention, I would suggest bringing them to the attention of one of our many mods and/or sysops. Thank you for your patience, and for hopefully understanding my current absence. Happy editing, and see you all soon. Some Assembly Required! 03:08, November 19, 2012 (UTC)
Tell me what you think
- Yes this is a re post I am sending to most of this wiki's staff.
An idea for member spot lighting.
I have an idea I would like to start as a blog or Sand box project. I am here to run this past you first because I don't want to violate any rules regarding user privacy.
The idea is a weekly spotlight on active members randomly chosen from among booth new and veteran site supporters.
- First I would contact the prospect and ask if they would like to be "Spotlighted"
- Then, over time, we could develop a member interview format that with in privacy guidelines, would spotlight the member to share some non compromising details about who they really are and what they most Love and Hate about the Fallout universe... What They would do if they could contribute to the game and why.
I would most honestly welcome anyone's guidance and or opinions of this idea. Please do tell me what you think of this?
SaintPain→ That was broke afore I got here." 05:50, November 21, 2012 (UTC)
- Update. My bad indeed, no offence intended, I guess great minds think alike ~;?
I hear you already had this idea so let's just pretend I never said anything...
- Now I shut up and try not to act embarrassed.
SaintPain→ That was broke afore I got here." 14:44, November 21, 2012 (UTC)
I've opened up an official background image submission thread at Forum:Nukapedia_site_theme_-_Background_image, based on the information gleaned from User_blog:The_Gunny/Nukapedia_site_theme_survey. We have a much clearer idea of that the community desires in the site theme. I wanted to thank you for getting the ball rolling on this and hope that you submit your best background image for consideration. I've gotten a few more details on size and format of the image, etc. by looking at some sites that use full images. It's all on that forum.
When you get a chance
You are keeping saying that it has to be consensual but how u know it's not?? U haven't gived time to her answer, I think that she can say for herself if she wants or not talk to me she's and adiministrator and she can ban me by her ownself if she thinks it's not ok what I'm doing, u guys are just meddling in this and it's not really your business... it's just demeaning to her that you keep "saving" her as if she can't do it herself if she wanted to... I'm sorry I don't want to be intsultive but plz leave this between me and her... it's not of ur business, u guys are just making this awkward for both of us pleze;.
Nah, no problem, mate. I've also been very busy with all the stuff to write for my MA dissertation, and teaching, I've been feeling guilty for not being so active lately. But take your time, my man: although I'm very excited to get my prize, I don't want you to take care of it under pressure. ;-) --C'n-Frankie -ArroyoTalk 05:52, December 6, 2012 (UTC)
Why did you undo my edits? I explained why I made them. The Fallout Bible is no longer canon here. Now Fallout Tactics mentions the date "March 5th 2052" as the date of the new plague outbreaks and when America closed it's borders.
The event is described in Fallout but the date for it came from the Fallout Bible. Which isn't canon. Fallout Tactics is semi canon so it trumps the bible.
Thanks for the Welcome
Thanks for the welcome. As for the edit I made to the time line, I don't believe Fallout One gives a date for that event. But the Fallout Bible did. But the bible isn't canon anymore.
Now if you watch the intro to Fallout Tactics, the very first part with the spinning ball that says Interplay, there is a mention of "March 5th 2052" being the date of the New Plague outbreaks. So since Tactics is at least semi-canon I think that date should be added to the time line and the reference of it in 2053 be removed. --StylesV13 (talk) 06:06, December 6, 2012 (UTC)StylesV13
Thanks for changing it back. My bad I guess for not giving you all the info as to why I made the change. But there is only so much space to write an explanation lol.
I understand, it is the time-line after all and as you said people try to change it all the time. It's a good thing we have these talk pages so we can explain things better. I like Fallout Tactics and I tried editing things long ago when it was just the Vault. I am glad people are more open minded now.
I am also a long time fan of Fallout, since the start. But when it comes to canon, I have never considered Van Buren to be canon. The bible yes I used to consider it canon, but over the years it has become very much out of date and contradicted by the games themselves. Chris Avellone told me we should just stop using it when I asked him.
As for things you could help me with. I left the issue on the talk page of the Enclave. I want to change one little word. I want to change "Has" to "Had" as in the line "The Enclave has access to the last remaining fossil fuels on the planet."
Well my counter to that is provide me a source that says they still have access to fossil fuels. I also know of no source that says NCR and Lyons BoS have access to fossil fuels. Now the Enclave could have had access to fossil fuels when they still had Control Station Enclave. But that is gone now. So unless they are fueling their vertibirds with pre-war stores of fossil fuels (which they could be), they need to have another type of fuel like ethanol. My point is since we don't know that they have pre-war stores of fossil fuels we can't assume they do. We do know they could have had access to it with the rig, but it is gone now. I would also think the Enclave would be smart enough to retrofit their vertibirds to run on another fuel, knowing pre-war stores can't last forever. I agree that is speculation.
So Has should be replaced with Had, or that whole line should just be removed.
Invitation to join the 2012 Nukapedian of the Year selection board
This is a message indicating that you are one of seven or nine users selected to be part of the 2012 Nukapedian of the Year selection board. As the board, we will be determining the final winner, as well as serving in other key roles during the entire selection process. It is planned that we will meet on occasion in the Chinese FO Wiki chat to discuss matters. Please ensure that, if you are accepting this invitation, you will be available for these meetings, as functioning with an even number of members may result in an impasse.
Please reply on my talk page to respond to this invitation. You may also post suggestions regarding the organisational process or the entire programme there as well. By accepting this invitation, you will have made yourself an official member of the board, and are thus obliged to attend its meetings and make objective decisions throughout this month. By declining this invitation, you will not be a member of the board and thus free from any of its obligations. Another user will then be invited in your stead.
I look forward to hearing from you!
I'm not sure whether this guy had a weird mod on or whether he thinks he's funny. http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Contributions/126.96.36.199 "Hail to the Pigeon!" 06:22, December 10, 2012 (UTC)
I luff you <3
I thought that I could love no other
Until, that is, I met your brother.
Kind, intelligent, loving and hot;
This describes everything you are not
I see your face when I am dreaming.
That's why I always wake up screaming
- CC 02:13, December 11, 2012 (UTC)
Roses are red
Violets are blue
I have a gun
Get in my van. <3 "Semper Invictus" 02:22, December 11, 2012 (UTC)
Hello! In order to manage our time most efficiently, and fit in a meeting amidst everyone's busy schedules, I'd like to have a list of times during which you are available for a meeting (around 15 minutes' length). To make things easier on myself, please make them in terms of server time (UTC/GMT). Please send this to me as soon as possible (on my talk page). Thanks! --Skire (talk) 02:03, December 14, 2012 (UTC)
Boarding meeting announcement
Hi GarouxBloodline, this is a message informing you that the first scheduled NoTY meeting is to take place on 0000 GMT on Tuesday, December 16, 2012. The topic of the meeting will be to: Officially decide upon the selection of two nominees, who, along with the top 3 of the popular vote, will make up the top 5 picks for NoTY. Please ensure that you are available for this meeting, and if there is a serious need to be absent, please recommend an alternative user in good standing and with good reputation. If I approve of this alternative user, then the meeting will go as planned. If not, another date for the meeting will be arranged. Thanks. --Skire (talk) 01:35, December 16, 2012 (UTC)
Hey Leon. I think something may have been messed up as I attempted to reply to Paladin's talkpage it had said YOU had blocked MY IP or User name :P Not really sure how the hell that could have happened :P If you could look into this ASAP, I'd love it. Yours Always; -- The Old World Relics (talk/blog/contributions) 06:35, December 19, 2012 (UTC)
- Actually, that also happened when I first tried leaving a message on your page, Old World. It worked when I tried it again, however. Weird glitch. Paladin117>>iff bored; 06:37, December 19, 2012 (UTC)
- It's even weirder as I've tryed a few times now and still says Permisson Error via block from Leon o.O -- The Old World Relics (talk/blog/contributions) 06:38, December 19, 2012 (UTC)
- Bah it's working now. That was indeed weird...Sorry for bothering you there Leon. See you around. -- The Old World Relics (talk/blog/contributions) 06:42, December 19, 2012 (UTC)
- It's even weirder as I've tryed a few times now and still says Permisson Error via block from Leon o.O -- The Old World Relics (talk/blog/contributions) 06:38, December 19, 2012 (UTC)
Hm, it's still not working. Worse, it appears to be randomly blocking us from different people. It just told me I, "Retro Radiation King", was blocked by Jspoelstra for impersonating users. Paladin117>>iff bored; 14:29, December 19, 2012 (UTC)
Why did you ban me?
"The block was made by User:GarouxBloodline. Reason given: Removing content from pages Start of block: 06:29, December 19, 2012 Expiry of block: 06:29, January 2, 2013 Intended blockee: Block ID: #24173 Current IP address: 188.8.131.52"
I've done nothing to be banned from anything, especially removing content from pages. And if such a thing was done on my account, it has been hacked because I can assure you 110% I don't do stuff like this. 06:54, December 19, 2012 (UTC)
- Eden, read above. Same crazy shit happening to me. Must be some crazy glitch. I don't like it. -- The Old World Relics (talk/blog/contributions) 06:55, December 19, 2012 (UTC)
- I'm still not back to normal yet Leon, editing is still acting up, can't comment on blogs, and I can't join chat. 13:01, December 19, 2012 (UTC)
Please stop editing my page and "invading" my privacy
1. I'm sick of self-centered mods/admins jerks that keep banning me for nicely asking for revelant informations on certain pages that have incorrect or not enough data.
2. I only mentioned that self-centered mod (I'm not going to name him because you obiviously saw his id on my page) up as example and I have no intention of starting fights or more bans.
3. Why do even care I literally just put that thing up like 5-10 mins ago and also its not like I tell you what to write/post on your page? (This NOT retoracle question I'm asking you why so don't go all ban-happy and be like the mod I mention earlier).
Hate to interrupt
I hate to interrupt you two, but I'm no longer blocked(As in editing the site and leaving messages) in a few days my chat-ban should be lifted.
Enough I got the picture alright. So please lets just put a pin in this conversation and call it a day K?
Re: Marie Pappas
Hi! Don't mention it. Well... looks like there are enough editors involved already, i don't think that another one will do any good. :) So, i'm pass. --Theodorico (talk) 02:51, December 20, 2012 (UTC)
- Reaver was right, Courier can't turn Clanden to the NCR. Damn, everything is ready: dialogues, scripts, objectives... and everything is cancelled by a single ";". Took me 2.5 hours to find it. --Theodorico (talk) 05:24, December 20, 2012 (UTC)
Chinese stealth armor
Hey, SaintPain wants to add this image to the Chinese stealth armor page, saying he can because of you adding a similar picture there, about a year ago. I personally don't see the point, especially if there's already another image showing it off, but he insists your edit makes it ok. Paladin117>>iff bored; 03:14, December 20, 2012 (UTC)
Same topic, Please note the obvious fact that it also allows for the cumulative benefits of the stealth suit, hat and the glasses all at the same time. Plus it is a cool picture.
If it dose not hurt any one then I think it should be allowed as a note worthy example of the suits unique one piece compatibility with other head and face wear.
I recall our discussion when you decided it would better be moved and noted as a bug.
- I don't doubt Paladin117 wishes to do what he feels is right but you have already made a ruling on this issue and I can't see how one more unique example of this notable item's features could be a bad thing. After all, what we wish is to make this wiki as all inclusive as possible with as much useful information as possible.
I thank you for your time and patience.
SaintPain→ That was broke afore I got here." 03:41, December 20, 2012 (UTC)
I am all for compromise Personally as I see the first example pic shows that you can still use the cloak while wearing the helmet the 2nd picture as you said shows the eye wear. I will add the new image and if you still think the original needs to be removed I will leave it to your discretion.
SaintPain→ That was broke afore I got here." 03:48, December 20, 2012 (UTC)
There it is, image re added, how ever you feel it should be moved or re captioned is cool with me.
SaintPain→ That was broke afore I got here." 03:56, December 20, 2012 (UTC)
NoTY Board meeting
Hi! It's Skire. Currently I am thinking of having our final board meeting, to decide the winner of NoTY, on 0100 on Monday, December 24th. I realise it is Christmas Eve, but we do not have too much time left and I am hoping to leave as much as possible for final preparations. If this is an issue to you personally, please notify me. You may suggest a back-up who will be taken under consideration. If too many users cannot make this date, it will be rescheduled. Thanks. Skire 22:49, December 20, 2012 (UTC)
On Mr. Bishop
No edit-warring is intended. The fact is that Mr. Bishop being a child that the Chosen One can father is an assumption. Suggestions being made regarding this Mr. Bishops nature are only one thing. This is a wiki, not a fan forum, and I - as a long time fan of Fallout dating back to 1990s do wish to keep things clear. We can for the sake of clarity mention Mr. Bishops possible links to the Chosen One, but, again, for the sake of this, we must also mention that it is purely possible. --VonVince (talk) 22:49, December 23, 2012 (UTC)
I do not contest this Mr. Bishop likely being a child of the Chosen One. However, what I do contest is removing all notes on him possibly - even if were likely - being a child of the Chosen One. An article which leaves room for options should have these options mentioned. A minor note does not harm nor discredit anyone; quite the opposite, it helps to bring clarity to the picture. --VonVince (talk) 23:01, December 23, 2012 (UTC)
Let's keep things civil: I'm a reasonable person. I've always kept discussion open when it comes to issues over article content. That said, I do not wish you to see me as some edit warring type, when I certainly am not. I might not have made a whole lot of edits on this wiki, but I'm a long time contributor to various wikis - including Wikipedia itself. I suggest an RfC on the issue to which which people can openly comment on. --VonVince (talk) 23:06, December 23, 2012 (UTC)
If you are willing to help with the issue, then by all means. I am not familiar with formspring - if you could perhaps, as someone who seems to be familiar with this site, present the question on behalf of the community as a whole (I am sure that the community as a whole would like a solid answer to the question too), then I'd be more than happy the let the issue on Mr. Bishop rest until an answer is received (which, all things considered, can take quite some time due to Christmas, but that's fine). Can we do this? --VonVince (talk) 23:21, December 23, 2012 (UTC)
Thank you; it will indeed be good to receive inside information on the issue. I apologize for what could indeed be called edit warring: I am simply a passionate fan when it comes to Fallout - perhaps too passionate from time to time (Fallout and many other great RPGs from late 1990s helped to kickstart English language for me with their extensive, well written dialogue -isn't it great what positive things games can achieve). I'll try to open up discussions as soon as possible in the future if it seems that there's going to be a debate over the issue.
Your efforts and diligence have not gone unnoticed, and you have been given a small token of appreciation.
What you do with the SNM is amazing Leon! I love it all! Merry Christmas Leon! -- "Those Old World Relics still stand..." 22:58, December 23, 2012 (UTC)
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year GarouxBloodline! Yours Always; -- "Those Old World Relics still stand..." 22:58, December 23, 2012 (UTC)
One more edit
Make it a special one! Jspoel 00:29, December 24, 2012 (UTC)
Happy holidaysBest wishes, and happy editing in the new year! And congrats on 10K edit! --Theodorico (talk) 01:54, December 24, 2012 (UTC)
Christmas! Christmas! AHAHAHAHHAHHAHAH
For GarouxBloodline, From Agent C
|You have been given a Christmas Gift|
Tip of the hat
Your efforts and diligence have not gone unnoticed, and you have been given a small token of appreciation.
Thanks for all the fun & helpfulness this year. SaintPain→ Happy Holidays Brother !"
SaintPain→ That was broke afore I got here." 02:11, December 25, 2012 (UTC)
Thanks for the gift and have a Happy Christmas brother!--TwoBearsHigh-Fiving 03:21, December 25, 2012 (UTC)
- How did you know I'm partial to fruitcake? Well, I'm not much of a drinker, but I've made some Christmas cookies with a "Special Ingredient" ;).--TwoBearsHigh-Fiving 03:25, December 25, 2012 (UTC)
From that one very curious ghoul
I figured the Strategic Nuclear Moose could use a snazzy looking radio:
- Thanks for the Christmas greeting. Happy holidays for you as well! Jspoel 15:53, December 25, 2012 (UTC)
Happy Holidays, and good job on 10k edits
For the days when you are lonely, which is nearly every day without us. Happy Holidays! "Semper Invictus" 21:14, December 23, 2012 (UTC)
Hi GarouxBloodline! I want to thank you for your time in serving on the 2012 NoTY board. Your efforts have played a great part in making it such a success. As such, I would like to give you a little award:
Undo to Gunner's edit on my TP
While I don't entirely disagree with your reasoning and don't wish to stir the pot further, there was a valid justification for the edits Gunny made. All parties involved with the incident did not disagree with the changes made. I feel it was an honest error on your part, as you were not involved beyond reading the TP postings. I haven't even been a member for a week yet, so it's possible there's something I'm missing here... but it seems to me like you hopped over Gunny to cancel a decision he was capable of making, then referred me to JP if I would be so foolish as to go over your head. Just my two cents, take it or leave it.RAHMtheBOOYAKA (talk) 13:28, January 2, 2013 (UTC)
I'd like you to join the Avengers
So Dunc's RP starts now. Fancy teaming up with me and Old World Relics (and possibly paladin if he'd like). There's safty in numbers after all. If so we'd all need to hop in chat and plan our move.
Jasper: The Wonder that is Shroomman! 01:11, January 3, 2013 (UTC)
>Le New Meme
--TwoBearsHigh-Fiving 01:22, January 3, 2013 (UTC)
That anon's edit was correct I believe, Pennsylvania's only appearence in FO3 is the Pitt, which is Eastern Pennsylvania as the anon said. It appears, he has reverted your revert. 05:06, January 3, 2013 (UTC)
Sorry for these random edits.I am new and when I am reading a page and find something I want to change,I do it before reading the whole article.That's why I have so much edits in so little time.But now I know what to do and how to do it.Thank you for trying to help me.
Well, you made already 10 000 edits without me noticing... AH! Anyway, congrats! Energy X 09:52, January 3, 2013 (UTC)
SNM Game Room
Are my contest entries, Polly Pyro, entered in the proper SNM locations and or format?
SaintPain→ That was broke afore I got here." 05:35, January 7, 2013 (UTC)
Got no word back so I guessed you might have missed this.
- Is your contest still on and or is my application post in the proper place?
SaintPain→ That was broke afore I got here." 15:37, January 10, 2013 (UTC)
On Josh Sawyer's formspring
Hello; any progress with Josh Sawyer's formspring? I understand that things like this can take time (or, God forbid! - nah, just kidding - you might have forgotten it - seriously, even if you did forget about it it's not a big deal: there were a lot of things to remember during Christmas for everyone :) ), but whatever the case, I just wanted to check in and see what's what. --VonVince (talk) 09:38, January 7, 2013 (UTC)
==If you're here==>
if you're around then Dunc's day two is up and we're working on our groups actions now. Swing by chat if you can.
Jasper: The Wonder that is Shroomman! 02:51, January 10, 2013 (UTC)
Be well & come back when you can
Hearing you will be away is a sad thing. You have been good company.
- I will not ask why you feel the need to step away. I hope it is something you can deal with easily and return to us.
Be well & come back when you can.
SaintPain→ That was broke afore I got here." 16:05, January 10, 2013 (UTC)
Re: Patroller Rights
Thanks very much Leon, I appreciate your support. I am glad we have been able to put past differences behind us. Best of luck with your current and future endeavours, and we all hope to see you back regularly soon. nihil novi sub sole 21:56, January 21, 2013 (UTC)
- That's good to hear. It'll be good to see you around more again. I've been back a while now and I'm glad to see that the wiki has resolved most of its disputes. The break was good but I'm glad to be editing again. Feel free to let me know if you need assistance with anything, I always seem to be useful as a mediating voice. Or so people tell me. nihil novi sub sole 22:14, January 21, 2013 (UTC)
Aha I'll sure try not to Leon ;D Aha thanks for the congrats! And I hope I'll be seeing you return to full activity soon ;D Anywho, see you around! Yours Always; --The Old World Relics (talk/blog/contributions) 22:44, January 21, 2013 (UTC)
Re: Game Room / Great News !
Got your message. 1st off "WELCOME BACK" !
Yeah I was really looking forward to see'n what others might wish to share, so now that you are back, let's do this. I love having my stories read & I like reading other's. I bet there are a few out there who might like some friendly competition added into that mix.
- Just let me know of any way I can help you recruit writers?
- Post a link at The fallout Sandbox wikia Most writers there are members here already but it should give them an extra reminder.
SaintPain→ That was broke afore I got here." 02:15, January 22, 2013 (UTC)
Fan Art Challenge ?
The moose link to the Fan-Art Challenge keeps linking me to the Faction Debate Challenge
My Fan-Art Challenge entree would be ~
- NPC/Companion or Foe Polly Pyro.
File: Pyro Polly O'leary.jpg
SaintPain→ That was broke afore I got here." 14:58, January 22, 2013 (UTC)
I was more thinking along the lines of NCR, being both a faction and a location at the same time. But your explanation makes sense. Along your line of thinking, would the Synth Retention Bureau then be considered a faction within The Institute? nihil novi sub sole 21:05, January 23, 2013 (UTC)
- I added The Institute to mentioned-only faction categories for FO3 and NV, since they are at least mentioned and it is referred to as a faction on it's page. I did the same for Synth Retention Bureau, minus FONV. Hopefully this is sufficient. nihil novi sub sole 21:24, January 23, 2013 (UTC)
I'm debating what to do. I don't know what we're doing as a group, if anything, but my internet is absolutely terrible at the moment. It drops like every minute or 2 and when it does that in chat, it lags for me, if it doesn't disconnect me all together. I can try to connect to plan things out with you guys, but I don't know how well it will turn out. Paladin117>>iff bored; 19:45, January 24, 2013 (UTC)
- Exploring the west sounds good, but I'm not sure about the second action (let me know if you need a tiebreaker I guess). I was considering getting that recon armor, but I would have to trade most of my inventory to get it and then I wouldn't have any caps remaining for other gear I need. I think perk-wise I'm gonna get medium armor proficiency either way, don't want to get the armor and can't wear it after all. Paladin117>>iff bored; 20:10, January 24, 2013 (UTC)
- Hey, I'm leaving for class in a few minutes. Something just came to me however. It's a computer class and, unlike me, they should have a good internet connection. I might be able to get on here and into chat during class and see if we can talk a bit about the rp. I can't make any guarantees, however, since it's the first day of this class, in a brand new campus building, and I have no idea what it will be like. Fingers crossed, Paladin117>>iff bored; 23:36, January 24, 2013 (UTC)
- Hey, Doctor Disappear from Chat (DFA) I demand that you kindly let me borrow those bottle caps!!!! Paladin117>>iff bored; 03:32, January 25, 2013 (UTC)
- Touche, good doctor. You're title is very well, randomly earned. Paladin117>>iff bored; 03:40, January 25, 2013 (UTC)
- Wasn't spending it all in one place the plan? Don't you listen to our strategery? Paladin117>>iff bored; 03:49, January 25, 2013 (UTC)
- AHA! I knew it! TRAITER GHOUL!!!! Paladin117>>iff bored; 04:00, January 25, 2013 (UTC)
- There's only one thing to do.... I won't explore the east and instead go to the casinos with Jasper. If I lose, I can borrow caps from Jasper to pay back the caps I owe to you. (nods like this is actually a good idea) Paladin117>>iff bored; 04:20, January 25, 2013 (UTC)
- My pinky finger alone is worth 5,000 of your "bottle caps" or whatever. (I shouldn't be telling you this) Paladin117>>iff bored; 04:33, January 25, 2013 (UTC)
- As illogical as it is (I was the prototype, remember), my pinky fingers actually contain the main mechanisms for moving the rest of the fingers (AX-1 and up had it moved to their palms), so if I lose them, I do lose my trigger fingers. Paladin117>>iff bored; 04:41, January 25, 2013 (UTC)
- Depends, are we talking 2161 Tandi or 2241 Tandi? Wait, why am I considering this? Paladin117>>iff bored; 04:50, January 25, 2013 (UTC)
- Grrr Any "urges" would be from me not doing a recovery lately, thanks for reminding me. Paladin117>>iff bored; 04:58, January 25, 2013 (UTC)
- Oh yeah, by the way, while going through my hard drive, I accessed a file I nearly forgot. Remember when I gifted you that laser pistol? Did you know that was double the value of 10 caps? Paladin117>>iff bored; 05:32, January 25, 2013 (UTC)
More unsolicited gifts to the Moose
Not related to any challenge
Still I just thought these reworked bookends might add a darker twist
to your Moose game room.
I will completely understand if you choose not to use them.
Still I had fun putting a haunted flair on the Lucky 38's style.
They are intended to spice the setting with a darker,
more random space and time,
to welcome some stories of less conventional origins.
Those found on the strip are fine but not always of such a stylish convention.
The fist is just for your showing,
I hope you find them useful but if not that's cool it is an unsolicited gift.
to preview the how the page might look.
The other 2 are clearly marked as
left & right
to possibly serve as book ends at the Moose game room.
~* It's a Dark Carnival theme.
SaintPain→ That was broke afore I got here." 12:08, January 26, 2013 (UTC)
Like I said, I had fun making them.
Great to hear you liked them.
02:25, January 30, 2013 (UTC)
Bug Policy Revisions
Do you consider adding that these characters are deceased helpful? I'm not really sure, but I think the fact that most of them didn't even die because of the event, or even during the event, makes it seem kind of irrelevant. Plus, aren't the characters being deceased depending on the game? Guidelines say to use present tense for everything during the games and I don't remember Tandi being dead in Fallout 2. Maybe I'm just overthinking it. Paladin117>>iff bored; 04:17, January 30, 2013 (UTC)
- You forwarded that message? I don't know why I find that funny. On a completely unrelated note, I think I shall be more helpful this week for the RP. I believe my internet is actually working (have to test it more) and, more interestingly, I have in my spare hour created a working (and hopefully accurate) excel spreadsheet for calculating things like damage, critical chance, and a full on list of every item's selling price, plus the heal effect of aid items. I feel like a total nerd saying all of that outloud, but I don't think I care about that anymore. Paladin117>>iff bored; 04:35, January 30, 2013 (UTC)
- Okay, I understand talking about characters being deceased for a certain game. But what about characters who are mentioned only and are confirmed as deceased, Jonathan Faust was confirmed as deceased. I was simply looking to Wikipedia, as on the article The Second Gulf of Sidra offensive, Muammar & Mutassim Gaddafi and Yunis Jabr, who both died during the conflict, are listed as dead in the infobox. Therefore, if they are confirmed as dead, I don't see what harm it can do by listing the symbol confirming their death. The reader can then further go on their article to learn how said character died. --Mr. Youtube (talk) 18:43, January 30, 2013 (UTC)
- Then it's really just a matter of control and the laziness of our administration. In that case, I do not see why we can't add it, but I will adhere to your requests and won't add it. But I do have to ask, how come like we have a Mentioned-Only Character category, we don't have a deceased character category? --Mr. Youtube (talk) 20:43, January 31, 2013 (UTC)
- I will see the opinion of others before, if I do, creating such a category. But, just to clarify, the only reason I put down many of those characters as deceased was because chances were they would have become deceased at that point. But, as the world is sci-fi and their deaths not concerned, I see where I erred. --Mr. Youtube (talk) 23:18, January 31, 2013 (UTC)
Oi My Minotaur apple!
That is an EPIC image!.. What is it from ?
SaintPain→ That was broke afore I got here." 07:27, January 30, 2013 (UTC)
The War pages.
Hey Leon. I've been reviewing the war pages and as much as I dislike them what I dislike more is non-canon material, so I refer that to you. Some pages have outcomes listed that I think violate canon (Brotherhood victory against the Enclave? Canon?). Can you take a look at them? As the lore master I defer to you as I am not 100% sure on all of them. Thanks. nihil novi sub sole 19:38, January 30, 2013 (UTC)
- Sorry for the late reply, had some stuff come up. Just check out the outcomes sections of those pages, like on the Capital Wasteland BoS-Enclave war, it says that the Brotherhood won. But with Broken Steel that's kind of ambiguous as you can effectively destroy them and the Citadel. Also on the NCR-Enclave war it says that Enclave organizational capacity in the Core region was destroyed, but I don't know if we can state it definitively. There are more examples I'm sure but those are the ones I can think of. Thanks. nihil novi sub sole 20:09, February 1, 2013 (UTC)
Yeah. That's not even close to the reason stated in game. I saw that little bit after I left him the message. Let's see if he can clean the page up enough to make it an article, if not, then no loss. 02:16, January 31, 2013 (UTC)
Hey Leon. Just though I'd drop you a line about changing the userrights.js for the site, because of right now, it still says your an inactive admin, and in my opinion you seem fairly active as of late. Anywho, see you around Leon. Yours Always; --The Old World Relics (talk/blog/contributions) 18:02, February 3, 2013 (UTC)
Where did you get his Twitter account? Then the LinkedIn link on his page is also wrong. That's where Veryblackraven has his image from, and it also says he's in the game industry just below that image. Are you sure? Link:  Jspoel 22:21, February 4, 2013 (UTC)
RP Day 5 - Tank Recruitment
Hey Leon. Just though I'd give you a heads up about me asking Mr Flat (Mr Flamer) to be our tank. So far he has respectfully denied my offer. Unless we can offer him more. I was thinking maybe we could give him the Med-X as our tank then. And if that isn't enough sweeten up the pot with some caps? Up to you guys. I've done what I could so far. Yours Always; --The Old World Relics (talk/blog/contributions) 16:33, February 8, 2013 (UTC)
- Scratch that. He came into chat and we talked. He agreed to be our tank. I was going to make the comment, but then remember the party leader is defaulted to Brawler, so you need to get on that. Hope you don't mind but I promised him the Med-X. And I may be on the trail of a Stimpak. So seems like things are going uphill. --The Old World Relics (talk/blog/contributions) 22:33, February 8, 2013 (UTC)
Hm, I'm not sure. The laser rifle can shoot twice instead of once yeah, but the plasma defender does 1 more damage and greater critical chance. Do you want me to do it just for the ammo? Paladin117>>iff bored; 05:07, February 9, 2013 (UTC)
- I would use more ammo than I would gain, so I don't know. By the way, weren't you going to bed? Paladin117>>iff bored; 05:23, February 9, 2013 (UTC)
Fight the power.
- I reasoned along the same identical line. It still could be, but there's no evidence to support it for now. 05:24, February 9, 2013 (UTC)
I've set out some proposed milestones for the New User Network. These are sort of optional (in that its where everyone should be heading, but the actual criteria are just suggested and mentees/mentors are free to come up with their own together). Please let me know what you think. Agent c (talk) 18:54, February 9, 2013 (UTC)
Hey... You can see a work in progress I have to cover a breka in hole coverage here. As you can tell it needs a lot of work, but the bare bones are there. Would love to get your thoughts on it. Agent c (talk) 17:36, February 10, 2013 (UTC)
A little birdy...
...tells me you plan on publishing the Workshop soon. I've got my segment written up here, albeit without the screenshots I'll be adding in at the end of the blog (I'm currently gathering them). I'll be A-OK to publish this tommorow if that's the deadline. --Talk 00:09, February 12, 2013 (UTC)
- Shall I publish it as a blog now? Or wait until tommorow? --Talk 00:33, February 12, 2013 (UTC)
- If you've put the effort into this fancy-smancy template then I'll go with that one, t'is fine by me. --Talk 00:39, February 12, 2013 (UTC)
He lies; I told him nothing. "Hail to the Pigeon!" 00:12, February 12, 2013 (UTC)
- Ok, I'll make some tests to find out if we can isolate changes and avoid site-wide interference. Overall, if changes won't exceed foreground/background coloring, then everything seems pretty doable. --Theodorico (talk) 02:28, February 12, 2013 (UTC)
Hey Leon! Well I appreciate the though of including me, but I don't think I could have anything done for your next edition. Maybe two editions from now? As to what exactly I had in mind, I had found an interview with a very well known and well worked mod creator (He made DEMOIS (FNV), Project Genisis (FO3), The Collector (FNV) and is currently working on a mod for Skyrim that rivals the Dragonborn DLC; he also attempted at getting a job with Beth; talked to a number of Beth employees about this). The interview had him and another mod creator (The Inheritance (FNV)) playing some causal gaming well discussing modding in general, problems they have encountered during their time as mod makers, his attempt as a Beth job, and so forth. As a side note: The video was two hours long, so there's that. But I still thought it would be something interesting that some people would like to check out. I'll send you the link if maybe you wanted to see if you could incorporate by your next edition. --The Old World Relics (talk/blog/contributions) 20:27, February 12, 2013 (UTC)
Hey Garoux, We have vandals. The I.P addresses are 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11.
- Hey Garoux, We have another Vandal. His username is Troll12340. Ironic isn't it.
Vandal from eaarly this mornin'
Hey Garoux, just noticed a vandal from early this mornin' that hasn't been blocked or nothin' yet. http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Contributions/18.104.22.168, thought I'd let you know. Richie9999 (talk) 22:22, February 13, 2013 (UTC)
No, both the ghoul mask and and the treeminders hood aren't in the FNV GECK files so can't be spawned. Jspoel 22:45, February 13, 2013 (UTC)
I'm confused about the * in articles. On some pages it's there and on some it isn't. When do I use it? (CommanderNuka 02:19, February 15, 2013 (UTC))
So only use if there are 2 or more points. Okay, thanks. By the way. I really like Strategic Nuclear Moose. I think there should be one every week. (CommanderNuka 02:25, February 15, 2013 (UTC))
Let's look at this from another perspective - Is there any proof that New Reno *is* under NCR control? I've never seen any mentions, to support that. Nothing comes to my mind in that aspect. If you can give me a hint about where to search, I could research this in the GECK. --Theodorico (talk) 07:19, February 15, 2013 (UTC)
Sorry I didn't get those screens too you on time, Fallout 3 completely bugged out on me due to incompatible mods. I'll still try and have them too you though if it's not too late that is. 05:31, February 17, 2013 (UTC)
My apologies, I know i've had a rough past with the admins of this wiki, however that old me is dead and gone, after a god half of a year of thinking, and like I said before, I really want to be an important and valuable asset to this wiki, and definitely with the upcoming fallout games. I do want to join the NUN program. If you would, please assign me to the best available mentor and the mentor i will benefit from the most. Thanks! --Buddha392 (talk) 22:35, February 18, 2013 (UTC)
Thanks so much, :). I can't wait! I honestly hope to be a top member on this wiki, because I love fallout probably as much as you and everyone else does! I also love editing and helping out, and contributing! :) —Preceding unsigned comment added by Buddha392 (talk • contribs). Please sign your posts with ~~~~!
The First Profile Song
...is Dig This Vibe by DJ Krush.
- Well, that was a forced solution, as I don't have access to protected pages. :) And... You are welcome! --Theodorico (talk) 23:29, February 20, 2013 (UTC)
To decap or not
If you say so. These yes or no decap/uppercap give me a headache anyway. You're making some unnecessary links on pages btw. You can just write REPCONN test site. You don't have to make it [[REPCONN Test Tite|REPCONN test site]] etc. Jspoel 21:28, February 20, 2013 (UTC)
Re : Gourmand of the Wastes
This sounds interesting. I assume you mean fictional recipes using items already found in the games. Is that right ?
I'd be more than happy to contribute in any way I can. I have some ideas but I would hate to disappoint you by acting off an assumption.
- Please detail as much as you can about this proposed feature and the role you'd like me to play in it ?
SaintPain→ That was broke afore I got here." 23:16, February 20, 2013 (UTC)
HEHhe yeah that sounds like fun.
- I's suggest calling it the 'Fallout Cook book' that way we could incorporate existing game recopies as filler and references to new consumables.
I've long since lost the actual artwork but way back in 83 I did a high school commercial arts magazine cover art project I titled "The Apocalypse Quarterly" The cover featured fictional articles that were never written like :
- Creative Cannibalism. Your family might have been a bore but these leftovers are to die for.
- Fire making made easy for the End of Days man.
- Bat poop & charcoal. The origins of gun powder.
- The Northern Moose, It's more than what's for dinner. Men's fashion tips.
So yeah I think I could put some thing together for the SNM by .. Not this Friday but next week's for sure. I'll keep ya posted.
SaintPain→ That was broke afore I got here." 00:14, February 21, 2013 (UTC)
Hey Garoux, I was just wondering how those questions which were part of the NUN program that you told me you were going to give to me? Best regards
No worries, I completely understand how busy you are. I am available definitely on Friday, from about 4-12:00 pm EST. On Saturday I am free from about 12-3:00pm and then 6-12:00 pm. Lastly, on Sunday I am usually free in the evenings, from about 5-9:00pm. On weekdays (other than Friday) you won't usually catch me on because I am very busy those nights, however I may be on to check on edits and make a few changes when needed.
I am willing to improve my edits, and sit down and work on projects that you have in mind, I really am looking to be a valuable asset to this wiki, as I know quite an extensive amount of knowledge about Fallout.
I am willing to put in as much time as necessary.
I would like to be active only on weekends, because that is the best time in the week and I can work extensive hours. I am definitely willing to dedicate a decent amount of time becoming a true community member here.
I can start whenever you're ready.
That is unfortunate, but otherwise, I can't wait. Feel free to give me any projects you'd like and I'll see how I can help.
300 Pieces of Silver
Exactly how many articles have you made for the qualifier? I hope there's no challenge to make a new game. Otherwise, we'll need a whole new wiki for your entries. Paladin117>>iff bored; 02:15, February 23, 2013 (UTC)
- Hey! I am not being a smartass. It was a genuine concern of mine. To make a whole new wiki in a month, you would need to make one article every three-ten minutes or so. You would burn out! Paladin117>>iff bored; 02:24, February 23, 2013 (UTC)
- Ralph (Mick & Ralph's) World Model:
- Remnants Power Armour:
- Breathing Mask:
- Gatling Laser:
- Setting - Great Khan Armory (Without the Khans around)
- Let me know if you'd like them on a different angle/lightning.
Take a look here and tell me if any of them fits what you had in mind. If you want the another positioning or angle that's easy enough to do as well now that I've got the mod set up.
Limmiegirl Talk! ♪ 17:46, February 24, 2013 (UTC)
I've decided I want to work on project 1 of the NUN. I would like to create five articles in my sandbox, however I was wondering if you could help me, just by giving me some unwritten, or regular subjects to research and write about. That's about all I need!
Still feed'n the Moose
Thought you might like these. Feel free to use them or not. No heart burn either way.
Click on each for a better preview.
Still working on your idea for a wasteland cook book btw.
SaintPain→ That was broke afore I got here." 16:48, February 27, 2013 (UTC)
The left & right are 280 x 890 just like the other book ends, so if you copy the code from that page all you need to change is the file names.
SaintPain→ That was broke afore I got here." 16:56, February 27, 2013 (UTC)
Happy to help brother, I love tweek'n screen shots to serve a good cause.
- I'm kind of bogged down with the apprentice competition but here is a quick & easy idea for the cook book.
Blood pack + Vodka = A truly bloody Mary. If you have the cannibal perk if should have same effects as Battle Brew
SaintPain→ That was broke afore I got here." 02:56, March 3, 2013 (UTC)
The ADB has one major problem that needs to be addressed first... It has an element of reinventing the wheel.
With the forum you indicated, my portal page thing, I share your frustration in the lack of comments on that forum... Despite some great comments in private or chat, they don't count for much without them being able to be pointed at.
However, the first word in the Administrator Discussion board is Administrator.... This brings the impression that the board is just for administrators, although I am sure we both agree that the views of non administrators is very much welcome on that board... The name still has certain conoltations.
The current location of that forum piece is Wiki discussion, which by title alone is more appropriate on two counts; the first count being that it discusses the wiki in general, and the second being that the buy-in that such a change requires (particularly if I get my wish in renovating other portals in a similar fashion) is not just that of administrators, but from the wiki in general.
Moving an item of importance from the Wiki discussion to ADB I think would have the opposite effect of what you desire for the reasons above... It suggests to outsiders that this isnt a discussion for them, the ADB is harder to find (being a subforum) and leaves the wiki discussion forum as a rump forum full of what are presumably unimportant items.
I think what we need to do is pause and rethink. What is the ADB for, and what differenciates it from the current Wiki discussion, and proposals boards?
To me, the ADB would be the perfect place for us to discuss the application of existing policy. Does x count as vandalism, when is a meme an annoying meme, when do we move out of ban guidelines, etc. Such things are neither a wiki discussion, or proposal, and interest administrators in the first instance. On this basis, I would suggest moving it onto the main forum page, rather than through a subforum.
The ADB has no place in welcome messages either at the moment, or with my suggestion. It is not of immeditae interest to the new user, any more so than any other forum. If there is not a link to the forums in general, there should be, but it is not the place to highlight any particular forum.
As you know, I am putting some thought into how the community portal may be renovated, perhaps encouraging people into participating in "Wiki governmence" is a feature that this could include.
Great, so it looks like we're just in disagreement as to where acutal wiki discussion should take place. I think you'll have a stronger case if you sell ADB as the place to discuss existing policy, rather than try to be all things to all men... If we ignore the ADB for a moment, there is no single specialised place to discuss application of policy (which should be seperated from new policy really anyway to allow both to shine brighter. Lets make it fit that niche.
Try and put two stars two close, and both stars to casual observers get mixed up in the other. Put them a little bit further from each other, and they become a constellation.
Leave proposals to proposals (Which already has a name, and that use), and then both the ADB name and purpose come alive.
As for the welcome message... Its too long and clumsy as it is... Lets tie this into the idea to reform the community section. The goals I have for that are making sure there is an outlet for fan projects (with an eye that the moose is already sort of in that territory, and not wanting to upset or supplant that), and making it less toolbox and more community.
I've been a supporter of it's use since you made it, creating that fixed forum category so it can stay at the top of the page. I'd agree with you on all your suggested points, check it frequently and also have moved discussions there that belong there. You can count on me supporting it. 04:02, February 28, 2013 (UTC)
Not much to say other than you have my support in this. Seems like it will make the wiki easier to use and better organized, specifically in the areas of policy discussion. nihil novi sub sole 04:05, February 28, 2013 (UTC)
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Special:Contributions/PowerUPmilk I think we should move straight to a permaban with this idiot. They obviously have no interest in doing anything but trolling. Great Mara (talk) 19:23, March 1, 2013 (UTC)
- 7 day block done, as 2nd offense... But if he comes back, I'm inclined to agree. Agent c (talk) 19:25, March 1, 2013 (UTC)
Admin Dicussion Board
I can imagine you're a bit worried, maybe even somewhat frustrated about the use of the ADB. You set it up with time and care, and not much has been done with it. But as I see it, that where as possible, I hope not too much has to be done with it. Most issues that are brought up and need attention, are best discussed with an entire community. Where we can, we shouldn't people leave out of that. Only sensitive subjects that have need an experienced eye can go to the ADB. I've seen discussion of policy as example and perhaps some other issues qualify as well, considered on a case to case basis. Adding the ADB to the welcome message is not needed. First let people roam around a bit, maybe join the NUN. The ADB can come later to their attention and is not first priority. As for the people with extra user rights who are most expected to participate in the ADB, I think at the moment we (all?) suffer from lack of motivation to make great things happen. We're inbetween games for a long time now already and personally I feel the "vibe" pretty much gone for the moment. We need a real new spark and only Fallout 4 can do that. But I certainly understand your message of worry to me. When I remember 2 years back, in the heat of FNV, there was a lot of activity, discussions with lots of input, decisions, changes. A lot of that has gone, we've fallen a bit asleep I feel. It's a consequence of being without game, and still also the split. We've lost some valuable people back then. But the tide will change for the better again, I'm sure. Just a little more patience required. Jspoel 22:23, March 1, 2013 (UTC)
Greetings…. I Willy Wonka shake you firmly by the hand… No wait, sorry, wrong script.
Welcome to the Apprentice for 2013, we're delighted to have you as a contestant this year.
Challenge 1has been posted, and has a deadline of 23:59 Wiki time, 23 March. We can accommodate a little wiggle room, but need to have judging done for the 28th to tie in with some other marketing opportunities.
Once we have all challenges in , I'll be offering early access to the second challenge. It will go up for all comers when the public vote is closed, but we will email it to any contestant who sends us their email address (email@example.com) as soon as all entries from the last challenge are in.
Early access can help give you a bit more time… there is the risk of you not getting further of course, but it can give you time to decide what you're going to do at least.
The Real Meaning of Christmas-according to Christians comment.
Hi , Garoux, remember me, you probably don't but I replied to your comment on The Real Meaning of Christmas - According to Christians blog. I don't wish to further continue our small little intellectual discussion that we had(the topic's already past), but remember what I said about the Bible being rewritten for gender roles- I wasn't joking, in a way. A bunch of people got together and decided to write a Bible that was gay friendly. The story can be found here:  --Coloneljosef (talk) 00:29, March 2, 2013 (UTC)Coloneljosef
P.S. Sorry I never got back to you on that article, I forgot to check it until now
P.P.S Good luck in The Fallout Apprentice Challenges-you've got my support
I mucked around and looked at installing both Type3 and Roberts and then that Spice of Life one and all 3 installed without an issue. I installed Spice of Live via the FOMM and the body ones manually, the pages for it says that anything else that affects the body can interfere with the body mods. I didn't get an error where I had multiple versions of a race this time around as well. Something's gone wrong somewhere obviously, and my money's on the installation being part of the issue, because there doesn't seem to be much else that could break it. --Talk 03:07, March 8, 2013 (UTC)
I've come to the conclusion that having all of these new mods sitting around on my computer along with a whole bunch of screenshots is a crime. So essentially I'd like to ask if I am free to publish reviews independently. Part of me says it's a stupid question but I thought I'd run it by you anyway. Anything I write can of course can still be used for your new fangled Moose and all that jazz. --Talk 14:42, March 11, 2013 (UTC)
Fair enough, however when I referring to chat and the community that is not specifically motioned towards you in anyway. Next, you tend to be more strict and you even said in your vote that unless sufficient evidence is presented, you have to vote no on any special rights requests. I was trying to tell a user who clearly had quite the reaction to your opinion that most believed in his abilities, and the one 'no' was from a user who has much higher standards (at least that is the appearance). So, I have no intention of slandering you, and I apologize if that's what it came across as. I'm not hesitant to express my beliefs however, that you seem to be losing the connection with Theo over community work and problem solving. These are two areas where we are well supplied and I don't find it fair to deny Theo access to areas he needs to get to make the encyclopedia, and thus our website better, over some community issues. 02:56, March 9, 2013 (UTC)
- Good, differing opinions is fine, good in most cases, and I'm glad you understand that I wasn't personally attacking you, albeit, I was referring to you. I found it unfair (although I'll say the final word in the matter was all his) that a qualified user was surrendering his request because, I don't know, maybe he felt pressured. 03:08, March 9, 2013 (UTC)
Leon, this just wasn't just worth it all. At least not from my point of view. Ok, he reacted bad to critique, but certainly on his request he responded with reason up to a certain point. You made him snap going on about things. Other than this and the first incident with Clyde I can't remember another one. He has done the best work in the past few months compared to anyone here and joined in with threads about portals etc. It's more than enough to pass for admin. We don't have to be all pure professionals without emotions to be an admin you know. We do this for fun and don't have to make a living of it. We don't have to be perfect. We're allowed to make errors and have flaws. Theo can work on some areas but it would have been allright soon enough. Giving him those tools could have help him and us a lot. Now we've lost too much. Jspoel 00:00, March 12, 2013 (UTC)
- I have to agree. His abilities did neccesitate the need for admin rights in my opinion. If he were to do further work in higher editing and other things he would need access to things regular editors do not have access to. And judging by the vote he would have been granted those rights. I understand everyone is entitled to their opinion, but there is a point where you just need to stop and take the high road and say enough is enough. You should have done that at some point when the argument started going haywire. I'm not telling you how to do debate it just is a way to reduce things like this from happening. Something I need to do myself. Heck, I'm not in chat much nor do I participate in all of the community fun stuff. But I have a job and a adult life away from the site. That does not mean that I am not "good for the site". At least I hope not. Anyways, back to Fallout 3 Leon!--Kingclyde (talk) 19:35, March 12, 2013 (UTC)
Re: Blog Post
Hi Leon. I left a comment on your blog about the recent interaction in the forums. Please don't take it as a personal attack on you; it's not what I intend. My comments are merely my observations after watching everything transpire. I was frustrated when it occurred and I allowed myself some time to view it from a neutral standpoint. I have drawn my conclusions in said comment. Now, we need everyone to re-focus on upcoming tasks and work together to make this wiki better than it ever has been. Please don't hesitate to let me know if there's any help you need with any of your current projects. Yours, nihil novi sub sole 02:16, March 12, 2013 (UTC)
Hey there, would it be OK to add a Notes section to the Fort Bannister article? I just want to ask an administrator for permission to be sure I won't get in trouble or anything. I only have one note to add, so I just want to be sure it wouldn't be considered spamming or something. Jack of All (talk) 03:52, March 15, 2013 (UTC)Jack of All
This is just a message I'm relaying around all apprentice candidates, for fairness and clarity everyone is getting the same message, so forgive me if parts of this you already know, or isnt applicable to you.
There's just less than a week to the deadline for Challenge 1 (23:59 GMT 23rd March). Looking at what some of you have posted so far, it looks like the bar this year is going to be set quite high. I'm looking forward to seeing what you call can do.
We have a new "home" page for the apprentice in The Fallout Apprentice Landing Page. This has been created mostly as a place to direct traffic for Wikia's marketing, but feel free to link to this direct yourself. It will be updated to have details of all challenges on it. You can continue to use the old "disclaimer" template, the redirect page is now pointing to this landing page.
I'll be releasing the second challenge as soon as I have the last submission for Challenge 1; this will initially be sent via email. If you havent already emailed Nukapedia@gmail.com with your prefered address, please do so now; otherwise you'll have to wait about a week until the public reveal.
Lizzunchbox has confirmed reciept of a load of goodies from Bethesda. I'm still waiting to confirm the details, but hope to have a pick up with your entries after the public have voted. We're hoping for a reveal of all entries on the 28th, with a vote then open for a week on the bottom 3 to decide on who will be eliminated.
If you have any challenge queries, you can post it in this forum; you can also send them to Nukapedia@gmail.com if you would prefer your question to be anonymous (and I'll post it for you).
If you anticipate any problems posting on time, please let me know ASAP, we do have a limited amount of flexibility available.
Seperate Bug Policy Page
YOU REALLY DID IT!
Re: Votes "17:03, March 20, 2013 (UTC)"
I looked at the vote topics again & as far as I can see or understand, ~;P I don't see a reason to change my votes. For a change I seem to be with the majority..
The only topic I had any concern about was the radio being not automatic but if I understand correctly that has been addressed and the radio will require members to turn it ON. If that is correct, I already voted "yes" and see no need to change it.
If you suspect I over looked some thing please let me know.
SaintPain→ That was broke afore I got here." 17:54, March 20, 2013 (UTC)
No worries Brother I felt no pressure, I just wanted you to know I read the votes again. All looks good to me.
We are cool brother Blood
No need to reply
SaintPain→ That was broke afore I got here." 18:52, March 20, 2013 (UTC)
Honestly I can see all benefits in doing this, especially with Fallout 4 coming around. My vote is more a point of principle, as I don't generally vote for something unless I can picture it's effect in my head. If you could explain to me how it will look within the infobox (i.e. will the three images preview on top or bottom if at all, or will it simply be scrolling between images, or will it be a click on the main image and then scroll between in a pop-up, etc.) I will be happy to change my vote. Otherwise, I will likely withdraw and abstain as opposed to switching to yes based on something I can't visualize.
Let me know if there's anything else you need. nihil novi sub sole 18:21, March 20, 2013 (UTC)
So essentially there will be a condensed version of the example implemented within the current image space of the infobox? And the preview images will remain above the currently displayed image? nihil novi sub sole 18:33, March 20, 2013 (UTC)
Alright, I'll consider it and (potentially) change my vote. Thanks for your explanation. nihil novi sub sole 18:38, March 20, 2013 (UTC)
dear admin guy,
ok, so seems like i got some splainin to do. i didnt intend to seem passive-aggressive or offensive in any means. so first off, apologize for that i guess. maybe shouldve put a disclaimer on my page stating that it was purely humorous rant or something? but my intentions are not to start trouble or be a nuissance. "A Follower" messaged me explaining the basic guidelines i apparently failed to read about edits and whatnot, and i messaged him back thanking him for the heads up. so if i got any complaints off that, iiiim not sure why, cause i thought i was polite. but thats neither here nor there. basically, this is just my assuring you that there is no further reason for concern in me or my seemingly "passive-aggressive" attitude. didnt mean to come off any kind of way. so yeah, my bad. have a good one. --AnthonyMuerte13 (talk) 22:36, March 20, 2013 (UTC)AnthonyMuerte13
Instead of sending a message to everyone, why not change the little wording after it to this: "Proposal - The ability to add up to three inter-changeable images per info-box (animated files are now accepted). An example lieshere." That way people would not have to wait for you to message them. Quick and efficient. Other than that I thought the images would be on an automatic rotation. If not, all 3 thumbs are not visible like on that example page right? That is just the underlying coding. Let me know. Thanks.--Kingclyde (talk) 02:16, March 21, 2013 (UTC)
Neck seam texture
Unless it's something to do with archive invalidation invalidated, it's probably the white neck seam issue. It's the only texture issue no mod or bugfix mod has corrected that I can literally think of. For both 3 and NV.
There -are solutions- other people have put out, though. It doesn't fix the issue itself, but it basically conceals it.
Other than this though, don't know of anything else. I don't even use them myself, but I thought about using them before realizing necklaces on everyone would look kind of out of place and break immersion. 07:21, March 21, 2013 (UTC)
You using any overhaul mods? I always have that problem when I've got an overhaul mod like FWE or PN running, still yet to figure out why but that's the pattern I've noticed with that. 09:01, March 21, 2013 (UTC)
== Talk Page ==
Just a reminder that we're in the last 24 hours for Fallout Apprentice Challenge 1. Please drop a line on my TP with your completed pages, and let me know if you cant make it (and an ETA if this is the case). Agent c (talk) 00:38, March 23, 2013 (UTC)
As per message in Skype; You're in your official 24hr grace period as of now as you've asked for that extension to now previously. Due to Fraze's apparent no show there will be no elimination of anyone who's managed to get their entry in this week. I have the draft document you sent in skype and will consider it your entry if you don't get in contact/complete in this time... Agent c (talk) 00:12, March 25, 2013 (UTC)
- Thanks, but you don't have to go searching, I just thought you might know off hand. There's just something about those sentry bots I like... Paladin117>>iff bored; 05:27, March 25, 2013 (UTC)
Maybe you can help me make since of this ..
RE: Page limit ~ Apprentice Discussion # Page Limits
This was my response to an issue we might share.. Did we write too much ?
Look here & tell me what you think, please ?
Page limit response
Hmm ? Some thing to think about... "My head hurts ~;P
- It is hard to describe a whole quest line as it would appear in game & still try to follow our article format. I thought I was already pushing it to join the main quest walk through and the location page into one.
I never followed last years challenge. I was afraid the fact I jammed quests and location in to one page would count against me. Now I don't know what to think..
I can only speak for my self, still, it appears to me that booth Bloodline & myself just meant to tell a multidimensional story "more than less" with in the Nukapedia page formats..
I honestly do not know what to think now. Writing in a free story style with article style pages only used as references would be far more easily done.
I just don't know what exactly you want..
SaintPain→ That was broke afore I got here." 18:36, March 27, 2013 (UTC)
Gunner's mod request
When you voted, i noticed you mentioned a controversial ban. Did this happen when he had temp mod powers? I'm so out of the loop its not funny. Damn health. Good thing its better now.--Kingclyde (talk) 18:57, March 28, 2013 (UTC)
- Oh that. Yes I remember. I was the one who banned him. It was a severe lack of judgement on his part. There were several pictures on the web under google pic search of her not nude. He could have also have said to google her which I believe I said in an attempt to get the subject dropped. Regardless, a link to a picture of a nude 15 year is unacceptable and a violation of our policies and Wikia policies, whether or not it was used just to answer a question. There are other ways to do that and in my mind, that does not look good on him. I really don't feel it was blown out of proportion. What he posted is classified as Child porn period. How that can not be that big of a deal is beyond me. --Kingclyde (talk) 19:39, March 28, 2013 (UTC)
Hello Leon. This is a message I will be rotating among Nukapedia's sysops and regular contributors. I would like your input on this forum. In an attempt to remove redundancy and confusion, I have proposed some tweaks to user rights, including the elimination of the moderator position. Thanks for your time, and let me know if you have any questions. nihil novi sub sole 09:23, March 31, 2013 (UTC)
- Gunny has called a straw poll to determine whether we move forward with some user rights changes. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time. nihil novi sub sole 20:14, April 3, 2013 (UTC)
Hey, Leon, if possible today, wanna come by and chat for a few minutes? If possible, that'd be great. Thank you, "Semper Invictus" 15:12, March 31, 2013 (UTC)
Leon, a robot could never replace what you can do ;3 Thanks, I'm not great with Python, but hopefully I'll learn more, and have it do everything we need it for by the time Fallout 4 comes around. --TwoBearsHigh-Fiving 00:29, April 4, 2013 (UTC)
- In all honestly, I have never worked with bots before. I just have a small understanding of python. That understanding and several hours of frustrations paid off :3 I still have a lot to learn but I'm able to have it perform replacements just fine. More advanced tasks to come....--TwoBearsHigh-Fiving 00:37, April 4, 2013 (UTC)
- Now this may be one cybernetic bear, but I'm still TwoBears, I'll keep it in line don't worry.--TwoBearsHigh-Fiving 00:48, April 4, 2013 (UTC)
That is an interesting proposal. However, I do see some flaws that might arise with that system. As my goal is to simplify the rights requests, having only one difference between moderator and the combination of patroller/chat mod may just lead to more confusion. The way I see it, the separation of mod requests into their simpler components seems to be the easiest and most direct course of action. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
I am certainly open to having a counter proposal to mine in the vote as well, if you would care to write one up I'd be happy to include it. I am going to discuss with Gunny the framework of my proposal sometime in the next little bit. If you haven't yet read the full forum I would suggest you do so, as we have deviated away from my original ideas to what I think is a better long-term solution. Again, thanks for your continued input. nihil novi sub sole 00:36, April 4, 2013 (UTC)
- For now I would also prefer to see the delete tool remain in the hands of the administrators. It's not like we have a large amount of pages we need to delete, there's usually an active admin when one pops up, and J generally takes care of the rest. I have thrown together my proposals as I would present them in a forum. You can have a look at them here. I would appreciate any feedback you have. Thanks again. nihil novi sub sole 01:32, April 4, 2013 (UTC)
Hi. I believe you had my intentions mistaken. What I was stating is that the Securitron page, most links, and most appearances of the word elsewhere, are capitalised. Whether I agree with that or not is another matter. Justification for its capitalisation could be that the Securitrons are not generic enough to be de-capitalised like robobrain and protectron etc. Furthermore, they are only known to be specific creations of House for a specific purpose, and thus not widespread enough to warrant them being generic. Since we're on the topic, we might as well get some closure, no? --Skire (talk) 23:49, April 4, 2013 (UTC)
- Fair enough, I'm sceptical as to how strong counter-arguments can be anyway. Now let's make those changes, shall we? --Skire (talk) 23:54, April 4, 2013 (UTC)
Project V13 developers
I reverted your move again. We have Fallout developers, Fallout 2 developers etc. We need to keep this consistency here. Also, it isn't added to the overview on Developer if we use your format. I know Agent created some pages that suggest naming otherwise, perhaps we need to take another look at that. Jspoel 00:04, April 5, 2013 (UTC)
- My mistake. I need Agent c. Btw you changed "you" into Courier on the securitron vault page. You (or player) is actually correct according policy. So you don't necessarily need to change it. Personally I like you/player better mostly. Jspoel 00:13, April 5, 2013 (UTC)
- I tend to see a few too many "Courier" close to each other on pages while "you" or "player" would read better. And it's policy. I'm not in favor of changing every you/player into the name of the player character on pages. Jspoel 00:23, April 5, 2013 (UTC)
(←) Rewriting sounds like a reasonable inbetween solution. It mostly annoys me when I see Courier and 2 lines below it again Courier. That reads akward. Twice "you" or "player" makes the sentence run smoother in that case. Rewriting requires as extra effort but if you can do that, it's ok. Here is the current policy: Fallout_Wiki:Editing_guideline#Perspective Jspoel 00:35, April 5, 2013 (UTC)
Alt form or contact
Ask gunny or J for my email. I really am not one for leaving it on unsecure talk pages if you know what I mean. Just inform them they have my permission to give it to you.--Kingclyde (talk) 22:45, April 9, 2013 (UTC)
My dog is begging me for a walk, and I think an hour's walk will suffice for her. I'll be on when I get back. ōrdō āb chao 00:52, April 14, 2013 (UTC)
That's nvdlc01apparel_christine_stealth_suit.dds Jspoel 17:23, April 16, 2013 (UTC)
If you come on tonight, we could use a bit of moderation on the edit war with the NVR ranger page. Take a look at the edits and maybe help these guys come to a consensus position? Thanks. 02:14, April 18, 2013 (UTC)
My reasoning is as follows:
- The NCR does not have permanent civilian settlements in the Mojave, thus the need for 'policing' is minimal. Quelling civil disturbance and property damage are not on the radar for Rangers, or even normal troops.
- They patrol, yet that is a standard practice for any military unit, including special forces.
- They argument of their presence at the Mojave Outpost is moot, as they are present at all areas of NCR military importance in the Mojave. (Not necessarily border guards, either)
- They do not 'police' the player per se; They warn players as a courtesy but when they attack it is because you are now a definite military target.
- In My Kind of Town, the NCR sends a unit of regular soldiers to protect and rule over Primm. If the Rangers operated as a frontier police force, this would be a prime place for them to be sent, much like U.S. Marshals in the old west. However, they are not sent here.
- Even if we accept a small amount of policing, that appears to be in exceptional circumstances (i.e. The Divide), which falls under the definition of 'Special Forces', military units highly-trained to perform unconventional, often high-risk missions. Thus the additional 'role' on the page would be unnecessary.
ōrdō āb chao 03:54, April 18, 2013 (UTC)
- You're welcome, but is there a reason outside mediation is needed? A consensus was reached among 3 patrollers and a bureacrat. Not that I'm complaining, I think it's a good way to go, but is there a reason for this in this particular instance? ōrdō āb chao 04:55, April 18, 2013 (UTC)
- I shall do that. It's not something that bothers me or anything, I just find it odd that a mediator was requested after a general consensus was reached among a multitude of users. Regardless, thanks for stepping in a maintaining a neutral position, it is appreciated. ōrdō āb chao 05:07, April 18, 2013 (UTC)
My perspective is that the New California Republic Rangers are a frontier police, in the tradition of the Texas Rangers of yore. And like the Texas Rangers, they also have a role that closely approximates to that of a military. Hence, the application of the term paramilitary, which can refer to any force which fulfils similar to that a conventional military, but can also perform other functions which may or may not relate to the military at all.
I wish to make this point clear because the term "special forces" implies a military outfit. My view is that the Rangers are not a military outfit, or at least not a true military outfit. Rather, they can function in non-military duties such as law enforcement or border surveillance, as well as in military roles such as reconnaissance or in terms of offensive action.
There's a lot of background evidence regarding what the New California Republic Rangers are. What would become the NCRR grew out of the old town guard of Shady Sands. Tycho, a companion from Fallout 1, is a Desert Ranger and makes direct inference to the Texas Rangers. Needless to say, both are highly influential figures in the development of the modern NCRR, yet are nowhere close to being military figures in of themselves. In Fallout 2, the NCRR were much less militaristic, and were mainly concerned with either protecting the residents of the wasteland or hunting down slavers. None of those constitute military objectives.
In addition, you have some direct references on this site to the paramilitary/law enforcement nature of the Rangers:
"In all Fallout games thus far, Rangers are generally independent paramilitary organizations that enforce a strict set of morals. They can range from a sort of guardsman service to outright mercenaries."
"Rangers in New Vegas come in two varieties: civilian and patrol. "Civilian" Rangers are dressed in non-combat attire (a ranger outfit consisting of a blue shirt, cowhide vest, and pants, with a cowboy-style ranger hat) and are generally stationed in non-frontline locations such as the Mojave Outpost or Ranger station Charlie, serving a more police-like or sentry-like role."
"One of their Special Forces units consists of the New California Rangers, a select group that is pledged to protect the people of the Wastes much like the Texas Rangers of old."
If my perspective is in no way correct, then we should seek to erase any reference to these contrary descriptions.
As for direct references in-game, that's where things get a little tricky: they aren't referred to as law enforcement, in so much that I can recall. However, Lonesome Road does feature a riot police detachment of the Rangers, in which case that would suffice to indicate that they certainly aren't anything like typical special forces.
It is clear that the Rangers do fulfil a border guard/patrol function, which is atypical of many paramilitary organizations, especially those that serve as a sort of national police or law enforcement. Many of their stations are located at strategic locations in order to monitor Legion movement, or to simply secure NCR territory. One such station is Ranger Station Charlie, which does not actually seem to serve the purpose of keeping an eye on the Legion, so much as protecting a highway route to Novac. For that matter, it would also be a poor base for launching any raids on the Legion. The most common threat in the area are the Jackal raiders, and you may see the NCR fighting them nearby, from time to time.
Moreover, their command structure and methods are completely different from that of regular NCR units, even when compared to elite units such as the NCR Heavy Troopers or 1st Recon Snipers. Although they do cooperate with others from time to time, they rarely operate in squads with other Rangers. Even if they were an independent military special forces, they would display some sort of military command structure with the head of the organization directly answering to the top brass. However, it does not seem like Hanlon is in any way subservient to Oliver, despite his lack of control over the Mojave campaign. This reflects their origins as a distinctly non-militant organization.
Now, I may fall into some conjecturing here...
In addition, the Mojave Outpost also maintains the presence of at least two Rangers, who are to all indications stationed there and not simply on leave. If they were only special forces, this would make no sense at all, since the Mojave Outpost is possibly one of the few areas that is unlikely to come under major attack. Furthermore, the presence of a fairly large NCRA contingent should suffice to man the outpost, freeing up much needed rangers for other purposes... unless they have a specific reason to be there. As it happens, you do end up going there to turn in evidence about McLafferty's wrongdoings, so that the iron witch gets what she deserves: a hot steaming mess of paperwork and a future filled with nothing but pain and suffering.
Furthermore, given the low density of Ranger personnel at outposts across the Mojave, I must also note that no military special forces would scatter its forces like that as a regular operational measure. However, this is indicative of a constabulary or gendarmerie, who would spread their personnel thin in order to cover a larger area. I would also like to note that with the exception of the final battle (or attempts on the player's life), the Rangers are rarely employed in force to attack military objectives. In fact, they don't even so much as attempt to raid Legion camps for a large proportion of the time.
For reference, here is the definition of a paramilitary:
— adj 1. denoting or relating to a group of personnel with military structure functioning either as a civil force or in support of military forces 2. denoting or relating to a force with military structure conducting armed operations against a ruling or occupying power
— n 3. a. a paramilitary force
b. a member of such a force
So given the array of tasks that the NCR undertakes that are not purely of a military nature, I would argue that they are not purely special forces, and that they are in fact a paramilitary force akin to either the Gendarmerie Nationale de la France, or a traditional ranger unit like the Texan Rangers or the Canadian Rangers.
I might be able to put up more, but I don't know what else I can actually say.
I object to the term 'paramilitary' as used here, because paramilitary groups operate outside the structure of the military, which the NCRR do not. The Rangers are subjective to the NCR Army, as are the Canadian Rangers incorrectly cited above as a 'traditional ranger unit'. I am ex-military, and anyone subjective to the military is not considered paramilitary. Furthermore, my uncle is a Canadian Ranger, and his rank is Captain in the Canadian Army.
I defer to your judgement Leon, just wanted to add a bit. ōrdō āb chao 05:14, April 18, 2013 (UTC)
- I refer to a "traditional ranger unit" in the sense that the members of the earliest ranger units were selected due to their skill at wilderness survival and fieldcraft. And while such units did operate under a military umbrella, they do count as paramilitaries in terms of the definition that I have provided above. They were not regular military units, but pure volunteer forces that were privately raised and equipped. That counts as paramilitary, even if they do put themselves under another command.
- Furthermore, I must counter that paramilitaries do not necessarily operate outside of the structure of the military. Again, the Gendarmerie Nationale of France is technically a part to the armed forces of that country, and undertakes some roles in support of the military. It is considered a paramilitary organization due to having some associated functions with the military, but fulfils a function that a military would not ordinarily bother with.
- I believe that the problem has everything to do with the fact that people object to the use "paramilitary" without knowing precisely what it means (or can be taken to mean), or that they object to my reference of the Rangers as being "frontier police" because this implies that they are nothing but conventional law enforcement. Again, I stress that they can fulfil both roles as needed, based on the strength of evidence that I have provided thus far. Furthermore, I must state that the NCRR do operate outside of the structure of the NCRA, but that this in no way precludes them coming under the supreme command of General Lee Oliver. After all, the French Resistance was made up of a bunch of irregular partisans and guerillas, yet some allowed themselves to be subject to de Gaulle and by extension, the Allied Supreme Command. Would you argue that they were true militaries, then? 22.214.171.124 05:47, April 18, 2013 (UTC)
Rangers as paramilitary
I looked into this when he posted it, and there are mentions of the paramilitary nature of the Rangers, but only on the Ranger disambiguation page, which references both the Desert Rangers and Reilly's Rangers - both paramilitary. It is missing a reference to the NCR Rangers and their function. ōrdō āb chao 05:52, April 18, 2013 (UTC)
- Yeah I see that. Either way, his definition of paramilitary is incorrect. if you choose to consider it as part of the argument, see his talk page for my arguments on this. Thanks again, I'm out, but I would like to know your decision. ōrdō āb chao 06:23, April 18, 2013 (UTC)
Now, originally I would have whole-heartedly agreed with you on this one. But you must remember that while the original Rangers were indeed like the Texas Rangers of yore, they became integrated within the NCR as they began expanding outside of the Core Region, making their original agendas moot. They are no longer freelancing peace-keepers, but an entity (or arm) of the NCR government outside of the traditional police force.
- But the Texas Rangers did also answer to the state government, and again, this still does not preclude their role as guardians of the frontier.
This is another one that I would have agreed with you over if we were referring to the game Wasteland. But as of their existence in Fallout: New Vegas, which greatly deviates from the original Rangers from Wasteland or the NCR Rangers seen in Fallout 2, they are now shown to only being used for military operations such as reconnaissance, search and destroy, and surveillance. They are not used as peace-keepers, their bases of operations are separate from civilian outposts, have their own leadership that takes orders directly from the NCR government, (his is not optional. Their actions are entirely dictated by their superiors back in NCR. Police forces are allowed to make independent decisions.), and are of a covert status, usually not having more than a few dozen of their numbers active at any given time. (Their presence in New Vegas is greatly exaggerated.)
- This still doesn't make them a true military unit, though. Again, I must state that the definition of a paramilitary does not mean that they are 100% independent, but that they are some form of armed force that fulfils a function similar to, or in support of a military.
Tycho was one of the original Rangers outside of the NCR. This faction no longer exists as of Fallout: New Vegas, and so any points made from that general direction are naturally null of meaning.
- I'll accept that, as such.
The original NCR Rangers were a separate entity from NCR itself as of the events regarding Fallout 2. Their actions against the raiders and such were independent, and had no correlation with the NCR's regime. As of Fallout: New Vegas with the official corporation of the NCR Rangers, as well as the Desert Rangers, their purpose has adapted dramatically.
- Other than the fact that they originated from Shady Sands...? Their actions were still very much inline with the NCR's cause of pacifying the wasteland.
An interesting point, but one that is taking the original source out of context. A person within the military that is not currently serving active-duty is considered in civilian status. A perfect example would be with the Coast Guard, which comprises of a standard enlistment for 4 years of active-duty, and 4 years as a civilian which can be re-called at any given time, or used for other operations outside of active-duty itself. NPC's such as Ghost and Jackson are where they are because of, A: Retired or semi-retired, or, B: performing independent work outside of the Rangers themselves. As for patrol, this does not defend your statements, as the Rangers are only seen patrolling militarized zones.
- You are reaching somewhat in regards to your rationalization of this cause. There's also another authority glasses Ranger at Station Charlie. In any case, route to Novac is hardly a "militarized" zone, and for that matter, neither is the ski lodge station.
Nowhere is it ever confirmed that the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment consisted of any NCR Rangers. Through dialogue with Ulysses, it is confirmed that NCR special forces were at play within the area before the destruction of the Divide. But it is never stated that the riot control officers seen are of Ranger descent.
- You got it mixed up, because the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment was a pre-war unit; NCR Rangers were in the area, they took the cav's armour, and then started bossing around the residents.
These stations are overlooking militarized zones between the NCR and the Legion. Police do not serve this function. Normal troops which are used to police settlements or outposts are seen stationed in areas outside of the militarized zones, further reinforcing this statement.
- Take a look at the location of Ranger Station Charlie. It's not exactly close to Legion territory. In fact, judging by the NCR's reaction to what happened to Nipton, I'd say that the deep-penetration raids of Legionnaires was something that only started happened recently. Again, it is overlooking a key highway and is very near to a Viper camp.
This is simply not true. Legion are seen throughout this entire region, and the Novac settlers even make mention of sightings of Legion troops, and how they'd be overran easily should the Legion ever take interest in them. Why the NCR haven't garrisoned themselves at Novac itself is beyond me.
- The Legion making an appearance around the area could very well be a recent phenomenon. In fact, the earliest mention that I could locate of them starting to operate in the area was when they took Boone's wife, and that didn't happen all that long ago.
Another statement which is simply not true. At the beginning of them game, most of the Rangers are still stationed back in NCR or out in Baja, as confirmed through random filler dialogue and through Chief Hanlon. Because of this, most of the Rangers have been forced to take control of normal NCR troops when undergoing certain objectives, which is a normal military dictation in the real-world, as well. Later, when the war escalates and the Baja Rangers are re-called into the Mojave region, they are seen working in larger groups consisting of either only themselves, or protecting strategic areas of importance.
- Which of course, is part of the build-up to the big battle at Hoover Dam. That being said, we are getting a bit lost here. Might I ask why many Rangers are stationed in the relatively peaceful NCR, instead of being closer to the front lines, then?
Chief Hanlon has direct contact with everyone within the Rangers in the Mojave Wasteland. He dictates their every action, with most of these commands coming from General Oliver or President Kimball.
- And how exactly is he getting those orders? why was James Hsu giving a Ranger orders to scout a vault? I get the impression that the Rangers are actually individually detached to different units and do have considerable freedom to act, which again goes back to the whole "they aren't anything like the rest of the NCRA", and which comes back to my argument that they aren't really a true special forces unit in the traditional sense, nor an entirely militarized organization.
2 Rangers of unidentifiable status is not a large contingent.
- I was talking about the five or so NCR Army regulars, not the Rangers.
Simply not true. All they are ever seen doing is either performing covert operations of a military nature, or performing surveillance over militarized/strategic locations of war importance.
- Again, I've indicated this to not really be much the case. Ranger Jackson ain't doing much, while Ghost is not doing anything that qualifies as "surveillance". They are not all doing work of a "militarized" nature. If you want more, there's the Ranger in the BoS bunker (who's out on recon, but it is never stipulated what kind of work he's doing).
The pure human variable, again.
Hey Leon, I was wondering if you wanted to be my partner in getting pure humans onto the relevant articles. It's bothersome to me that the confirmed lore surrounding the pure/near-human question and the reasoning for their genetic variance being drastically changed considerably enough to constitute a clear difference is blatantly dismissed as some kind of pseudo-lore by the same typical clique. The opposition are making the fallacy of using real-world science and not considering Fallout science, a classic case of real-world effecting the Fallout world by breaking the fourth wall.
They also have no references that this is 'Enclave propaganda, racism, etc' and whatever association fallacy they conjure doesn't change that. I have looked through obsessively and confirmed there is in fact quite a few inconsistencies on Nukapedia articles that do not stick to the facts and wreak of the Vault members who used to be here quite frankly. Worse is when you go to try add the non-speculative things back, you get unedited with the quickness to maintain some status quo I'm honestly failing to see or something.
But to cut my incoherent rambling short (apologies), I'd like for you to help me get a forum up and running again about adding 'Pure Human' to relevant characters, such as those born into sealed Vaults, Enclave members, Marie, etc. I understand if you can't/don't want too due to lack of success before... but we need to make our point(s) across abundantly clear this time. I didn't get to have one at the time of the last forum vote/discussion anyway.
- I'm right along with you, believe you me. My concern is if the editing rules clearly state that facts and/or what has been stated/definitively known are to be the norm, speculation and moral high horse-truths (practically all the no's in this for example: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Category_Proposal:_Pure_Human_-_Vote ) should not even be -allowed- to apply lest the quality of our articles become utterly subjective due to bias, or lacking in all they can be. Neither looks good on us as the official encyclopedia of Fallout. The Vault's job is to clog up the articles with opinionated BS.
I don't understand why it's so hard for some to differentiate the obvious difference between science/radiation in the real world, and science/radiation in Fallout. It's perfectly fine for RP/a good debate/etc, but the inability or the plain refusal to differentiate the two when it comes to keeping that out and keeping articles objective needs to be enforced at this point imho.
Anything lore-wise in 1, 2, 3, NV that is stated in dialogue should be cross-referenced for a contradiction to be found, and if one is not found then it shouldn't be second-guessed or not acknowledged. That's just what I'd do though. :3
I agree on the page and all also, but pure humans have a few references. There being what these guys are claiming is downright unconfirmed/unreferenced at best, wishful thinking/confirmation bias at worst. We have lore on our side, they don't and I think that ground should be stood to get it into the infoboxes or a category... 00:45, April 20, 2013 (UTC)
- [DISCLAIMER: The following is a joke and not to be taken seriously!]: Really? 17 minutes? What terrible reaction time, and you call yourself an admin... By the way, have you ever considered archiving this page? Paladin117>>iff bored; 02:31, April 20, 2013 (UTC)
Did you end up coming to a decision on the anon's edits? ōrdō āb chao 01:33, April 23, 2013 (UTC) I agree. And I tried to tell him (multiple times) that he had an incorrect interpretation of paramilitary, but he wouldn't listen to that for some reason. Paramilitary operates outside of a nation or state's armed forces (I would know, I worked in paramilitary for a while); Rangers do not. As I stated in my original revert, any policing/border guarding they do is covered by the fact they are 'special forces'. Thanks for your judgement though, feel free to get Gunny to verify but I think he'll agree as well. Thanks again. ōrdō āb chao 02:06, April 23, 2013 (UTC)
- beats chest* Get on my level, bro. Nah, seriously, good entry on your end, both C1 and C2. Can't wait to see the ratings. Good luck. *salute* "Semper Invictus" 22:24, April 23, 2013 (UTC)
I am not familiar with "G.E.C.K", but according to the console it says that the Feral Ghouls health is at 30. Not saying your wrong, I just think this is a glitch
I apologize for the one dlc edit. I meant to say revisit.
I just did some research and according to this one article is says that the dlc Broken Steel can raise enemy statistics to "above normal". I do not know yet if this applies to the Feral Ghoul.Fergusonbailey (talk) 22:59, April 23, 2013 (UTC)April 23rd 6:59 pm 2013
- Oh Wait, FO3, the computer I have with me does not have FO3 installed on it, only NV. Since my other one crashed, none of my computers currently have FO3 installed, and I won't be able to install it for another 2 weeks. My bad. ---bleep196- (talk) 23:06, April 23, 2013 (UTC)
I was on the phone with a person more familiar on the topic but he to is unsure of the problem regarding the Feral Ghoul's statistics. He just said it affects most animals and some companions and increases the players level cap.Fergusonbailey (talk) 23:16, April 23, 2013 (UTC) April 23rd 7:16pm 2013 fergusonbailey
Re: Previous discussion
Hey Leon. I was thinking of another topic that could warrant a 'style guide' like we were previously discussing. Lately, I've seen a number of users (both new and veteran) who improperly use commas on a consistent basis. People seem to think that commas are needed in almost every sentence even when it goes against proper grammatical conventions. It might be something we should consider including. ōrdō āb chao 04:06, April 24, 2013 (UTC) P.S. Might be time for an archive there Leon ;) ōrdō āb chao 04:07, April 24, 2013 (UTC)
Re:Technical help at Nukapedia
I'm playing Fallout 3 for the first time right now. That's how I came across your wiki. I'll probably be back a few times during my playthrough. Feel free to milk that! A little :) -- pecoes 20:40, April 29, 2013 (UTC)
- Okay. Seriously now: Do tell me what needs doing, please! What is broken? How much of it?
- pecoes 02:34, April 30, 2013 (UTC)
3rd Person Guidelines
Hey Leon, I had a thought about the new third person guideline for articles, more specifically the variation of third person. The common idea is to use "the player" or "Courier", "Chosen One", "Lone Wanderer", etc. instead of the "you", but there is nothing clear to suggest how much an editor could make use of the third person, since beforehand we didn't need such guidelines as it was a simple case of a single word; "you".
With this I propose limiting the usage of the name (Courier, Lone Wanderer, Chosen One, etc.) to once per paragraph, so that a reader would understand that it is discussing that specific player character. After that editors simply use "the player", or similar, as it has been established who "the player" is referring to.
As an example of this, here's a quick idea of how it would be applied to an article (in this case Nellis Air Force Base):
"On the way there (before the bombardment) a man named George will make a wager on the Courier getting back alive. His wager is 300 caps. If the player passes a Barter check at 40, the player only needs to give him 200 caps. However, passing the Barter check actually nets the player less caps on the wager (600 vs 400)."
- Well, wouldn't it be better to use "the player character" instead of "the player"? Energy X 23:28, April 29, 2013 (UTC)
2nd Person/3rd Person
Hey Leon. I've been having discussions with Hawk and Skire about the usage of the term 'the player' in articles. In my opinion, it's second person and shouldn't be used. However, FW:EDIT says that 'the player' is allowed and is third person (which is incorrect, it is most definitely second). For third person, 'the player character' is more applicable. Just want your thoughts on this. Thanks. ōrdō āb chao 01:49, April 30, 2013 (UTC)
Fair enough. Let me know how it all pans out. ōrdō āb chao 01:53, April 30, 2013 (UTC)
Yes, I suspected that was the source of the confusion. I think changing the example of 'the player' to 'the player character' on FW:EDIT would remove confusion for other editors. I doubt we will see a situation where 'the player' is grammatically correct as a 3rd person perspective very often on the wiki anyways. ōrdō āb chao
I reverted the edit on Pek as in the past there was an edit war between a user and Mara regarding the wording of that and the way it was is what was determined to go with. I just edited in a way fitting the previous results of an edit war between the user and Mara. Richie9999 (talk) 06:20, April 30, 2013 (UTC)
I was told in chat by admin that I can vote however I want. Now I'm told I can't? I've talked to Richie, I don't think we need more chat moderators and I don't think he's the best candidate (he's good person however no offense to him). Get my vote back on there please because it looks ridiculous to be honest. Thank you. --Wasson...Kuasson! (talk) 10:30, April 30, 2013 (UTC)