It's been almost 2 years since we introduced projects to The Vault, and I think it's time to take a look at what worked, what didn't and what could be improved.
Looking at the list of projects, only 6 (out of 23) have reached completion. A lot of them are dormant or carried by a single editor - of the 6 completed ones, only 3 really were group efforts. So clearly there's some room for improvement.
My goal is to gather other people's thoughts, see whether they perceive the same problems I do and what suggestions they might have, so you're more than welcome to comment ;)
Simply put, projects need to be engaging, fun and rewarding. As such, I think the areas we need to work on are:
- Giving projects clear goals (so people have something to work to…
Read more >
A little update on what's going on at The Vault and Wikia lately.
- Deadlykris and TrailerParkApe have requested adminship. Please leave your vote and/or opinion.
- It has been suggested to implement a formal policy for news blogs in order to cut down on the amount of minor news items posted. Feel free to participate in the discussion.
- Our image policy has been changed according to a recently finished discussion. Each user now may no longer upload more than 5 images for his/her user page, and uploading images solely for use on talk or forum pages is no longer allowed. Unfortunately, we've had to take this step as without limitations the required maintenance takes up too much precious editing time.
- Wikia is currently developing a new skin for all …
Read more >
Our very own Ausir has posted the first part of his Fallout: New Vegas preview here at The Vault:
An excerpt of Dealspwn's preview:
Joystiq adds its own preview about FNV. Here is a little taste:
Crispy Gamer brings another QuakeCon preview:
Yet another preview from allaboutgames.co.uk:Read more >
As you may have noticed or read, I've been cleaning up our template repository in the past weeks, making long due improvements and optimizations. By now, I have completed most of this overhaul except for some of our oldest and most-used templates: ) to bring it in line with the naming conventions for the infoboxes.
See "Make infoboxes easier to read" above. The navboxes will be redesigned to match the new infobox design.
Feel free to post your feedback below; whether you like/dislike certain ideas, other improvement suggestions, alternative solutions, it's all welcome.Read more >
All leaked design documents for Van Buren, Black Isle Studios' canceled Fallout 3, are now available for reading right here on the wiki. The design documents describe most of the locations, characters and quests which were planned to appear in the game prior to its cancelation. Parts of their content have been made canon by Fallout 3, and since some of the responsible designers now work at Obsidian Entertainment on Fallout: New Vegas there is a good chance that more elements of Van Buren's planned story will be referenced in that game as well
For a full list of all the available docs, please see either the respective news post at the Van Buren portal, the design documents page or Category:Van Buren design documents.
Enjoy reading! We hope it will ins…
Read more >