Mom and dad were quite surprised when they learned that I'd had a good friend that they'd never knew of. They were even more blown away that I'd known him for four or five years. They would have tried to "regulate" the relationship, so I never told them about it. In fact, there's alot of things that I don't tell them, like these polls. They don't know. They just barely found out that I post my fictions (they knew I was writing them, however) online, and have been doing so (at that time, at least) for a year.
This Week's Trivia
It takes a century (100 years) for an inch of topsoil to be created from leaves, sticks, and detritus. You can imagine, then, all the potential tousands of years get scraped away when they grade the earth until its orange clay.
Last Week's Polls
Do you believe in old "folk remedies"?
- Third was you've never heard of folk remedies before. There are whole books out there. Some are good for a laugh, while others are actually usefull.
- Second was heck no! Yes, I'll admit that some are good for nothing other than a laugh, but, hey, isn't that a remedy right there? There are plenty of sources that say laughter is great for you.
- And first was you do...for the most part. I'll say that the Old Wives' Tale of telling you not to eat cheese at night or it'll result in nightmares is quite right. Eating heavy at night can leave you with heartburn, I'll tell you that, so that Tale has a kernel of truth.
How do you think some of the wacky-er folk remedies and "Old wives tales" came to be?
- Third was comment. Did you comment on this? I think some people select this then never comment.
- Second was experimentation. I wonder how many people ended up in the hospital or *gulp* dead because someone tested "cures" for something.
- And first was it was a normal idea, but got changed over time. Some things get changed for the better, and some things were better off unchanged. It many not exactly be home remedies, but this generally applies to everything.
Have you ever invented a folk cure yourself?
- Third was you did, and it works great! I have quite a few I've invented, and I'll give you one of them: If you brush yourself with a hairbrush when you're tired, it wakes you right up. It may or may not work for you, but hey, its a freebie from me.
- Second was you're not much for inventing much of anything. Not really much of a thinker, are you?
- And first was you never intend to. Then it was not you who invented these two utterly wacky "cures": you can "cure" your arthritis by catching a hedgehog and squeezing it to death with your bare hands, and sniffing deeply from a dirty sock with clear your stopped up sinus. Me thinks that the sock stank so much that it got your eyes and nose running from the stench. Blegh!
This Week's Polls
That's all, folks!
That's all this week! If you have any ideas for me, leave them on my talk page!