In 2060, the United States Joint Chiefs realized that, after a nuclear war, the United States would be the most vulnerable, but so would the Chinese. The following year, project Vanguard (A military offshoot of Project Safehouse) was commissioned. The mandate of Project Vanguard was to allow for the United States military to initiate an immediate strike back against the Chinese following a nuclear war. Three Vaults were created- Echo, Lima, and Yankee. These Vaults were never included in the official Vault count of 122.
- October, 2061- Vault Tech began construction of Vault Echo underneath Eielson AFB in Fairbanks, Alaska and Vault Yankee underneath Anchorage, Alaska.
- May 18, 2067- Vault Yankee finishes construction.
- July 9, 2067- Vault Echo finishes Construction.
- Winter, 2067- Vault Yankee falls into the Hands of the Chinese Army along with the rest of Anchorage.
- August, 2067- Vault Tech reluctantly accepts contract to build Vault Lima underneath Grandforks Air Force Base in the Northern Commonwealth.
- February, 2068- Vault Tech drops Vault Lima contract. Local contractors are called in to finish the job.
- September 23, 2077- Vault Lima is completed.
- October 12, 2077- Chinese spies uncover the location of Vault Echo. The Coordinates are forwarded to Chinese High Command.
- October 23, 2077- Two Chinese nukes make a direct hit on Vault Echo, damaging the door and destroying the base above. Vault Lima's doors close early, trapping half of the soldiers outside.
- October 24, 2077- Vault Lima techs begin to investigate why the main door closed early, only to find the door mechanism to be faulty. They also discover that the door is inoperable, and cannot be opened.
- October 30, 2077- Radiation begins to leak into Vault Echo. Over the next 5 years, the occupants slowly become ghouls.