It seems that some subscribers have received copies of this month's PC Gamer early, and some of them are now posting details from the 6-page Fallout: New Vegas preview in Bethesda Softworks forum and Penny Arcade forum.
Here is a list of things we have learned from the magazine:
- There is an optional hardcore mode, the character needs to drink water, ammo has weight, healing isn't instant etc. Normal mode is more similar to Fallout 3 gameplay.
- Vegas didn't get many nukes. More intact buildings, as well as desert vegetation. Vegas itself is mostly intact.
- The game takes place in 2280.
- The storyline is focused on the New California Republic vs. Caesar's Legion vs. New Vegas residents.
- You are a courier, left for dead and saved by a friendly robot, Victor, who takes you to a doctor called Mitchell, who originally came from Vault 21 and gives you his Pip-Boy.
- Mitchell is from a town called Goodsprings, where you will need to decide what to do with a merchant wanted by the Powder Gangers
- There is a screenshot of a vault suit as well.
- There is an assault rifle looking like the M4, as well as a new machine gun that shoots grenades.
- There are special moves for melee weapons in VATS - specifically a move for a golf club called "Fore!" which seems to be a groin shot.
- The Hoover Dam is in the game and is supplying electricity to the city.
- There is a quest to rescue a ghoul from some super mutants. The ghoul can then become your companion
- The Geckos are back.
- There are both dumb and intelligent super mutants, including the elite Nightkin.
- Some super mutants look similar to the ones in Fallout 3, while others are new. There is e.g. Tabitha - a female super mutant with a blonde 1950s style wig and heart-shaped glasses who apparently is one of their leaders.
- Screenshots include a guy with a beard and straw hat, a ghoul an NCR Ranger
- The only picture of New Vegas itself is concept art and not a screenshot
- Some location screenshots include a huge model dinosaur advertising a hotel, some satellite dishes, an array of solar panels
- A character generation shot showing a "vigour machine" instead of the skill book
- NCR base is the McCarran Airport, Caesar's Legion is based in the Vegas Strip, while super mutants are based in a place called Black Mountain. There is also a town called Fremont and another called Primm. A topless reuve is mentioned as being in the latter.
- NCR Ranger armor is similar to a brown combat armor with sleeves, there are concept arts of a Ranger
- Skills have a bigger effect on conversation choices. E.g. someone with a high Explosives skill may be able to have a coversation about explosives where appropriate.
- Bartering is not just lower prices but negotiating for better rewards.
- All dialogue options are shown to all players, regardless of whether you have the stats to succeed or not, though there's no punishment for failure.
- There is a Reputation system for each settlement like in Fallout 2 in adition to Karma.
- Followers can be managed through a context-sensitive menu, with orders like "follow", "stay" or "attack".
The list is being updated as new details are being mentioned in the forum.