Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
It seems that some subscribers have received copies of this month's PC Gamer early, and some of them are now posting details from the 6-page Fallout: New Vegas preview in Bethesda Softworks forum and Penny Arcade forum.
Here is a list of things we have learned from the magazine:
- There is an optional hardcore mode, the character needs to drink water, ammo has weight, healing isn't instant etc. Normal mode is more similar to Fallout 3 gameplay.
- Vegas didn't get many nukes. More intact buildings, as well as desert vegetation. Vegas itself is mostly intact.
- The game takes place in 2280.
- The storyline is focused on the New California Republic vs. Caesar's Legion vs. New Vegas residents.
- You are a courier, left for dead and saved by a friendly robot, Victor, who takes you to a doctor called Mitchell, who originally came from Vault 21 and gives you his Pip-Boy.
- Mitchell is from a town called Goodsprings, where you will need to decide what to do with a merchant wanted by the Powder Gangers
- There is a screenshot of a vault suit as well.
- There is an assault rifle looking like the M4, as well as a new machine gun that shoots grenades.
- There are special moves for melee weapons in VATS - specifically a move for a golf club called "Fore!" which seems to be a groin shot.
- The Hoover Dam is in the game and is supplying electricity to the city.
- There is a quest to rescue a ghoul from some super mutants. The ghoul can then become your companion
- The Geckos are back.
- There are both dumb and intelligent super mutants, including the elite Nightkin.
- Some super mutants look similar to the ones in Fallout 3, while others are new. There is e.g. Tabitha - a female super mutant with a blonde 1950s style wig and heart-shaped glasses who apparently is one of their leaders.
- Screenshots include a guy with a beard and straw hat, a ghoul an NCR Ranger
- The only picture of New Vegas itself is concept art and not a screenshot
- Some location screenshots include a huge model dinosaur advertising a hotel, some satellite dishes, an array of solar panels
- A character generation shot showing a "vigour machine" instead of the skill book
- NCR base is the McCarran Airport, Caesar's Legion is based in the Vegas Strip, while super mutants are based in a place called Black Mountain. There is also a town called Fremont and another called Primm. A topless reuve is mentioned as being in the latter.
- NCR Ranger armor is similar to a brown combat armor with sleeves, there are concept arts of a Ranger
- Skills have a bigger effect on conversation choices. E.g. someone with a high Explosives skill may be able to have a coversation about explosives where appropriate.
- Bartering is not just lower prices but negotiating for better rewards.
- All dialogue options are shown to all players, regardless of whether you have the stats to succeed or not, though there's no punishment for failure.
- There is a Reputation system for each settlement like in Fallout 2 in adition to Karma.
- Followers can be managed through a context-sensitive menu, with orders like "follow", "stay" or "attack".
The list is being updated as new details are being mentioned in the forum.