In the forum and elsewhere I've had discussions of possible goals that completionists could set for themselves in Fallout: New Vegas, so I thought it would be worth collecting my thoughts here to share with those interested, as this wiki clearly attracts completionist Fallout fans.
This entry covers the main game only. Subsequent blog entries will cover the add-ons.
- Complete main quests up to Ring-a-Ding-Ding!
- Complete all side quests, with possible exceptions below:
- Choose Ghost Town Gunfight or Run Goodsprings Run
- Choose Heartache by the Number or Birds of a Feather
- Choose Beyond the Beef (certain endings) or Pheeble Will and Beyond the Beef (other endings)
- Choose Restoring Hope or We Are Legion
- Choose Eyesight to the Blind or Tend to Your Business
- Fame/Infamy triggered side quests including Beware the Wrath of Caesar!, Caesar's Favor, Caesar's Foe, Caesar's Hire, Don't Tread on the Bear! and Emergency Radio.
- Complete all unmarked quests with some exceptions:
- The rewards of some unmarked quests are able to be acquired without following the particular quest steps (e.g. Access Powers) - I consider these complete when the reward is acquired, regardless of method.
- Some faction-related quests: An Ear to the Ground, Arizona Scavenger, Defacing the Humble Stone, Tags of Our Fallen
- Bugged unmarked quests: Poor Meat Never Makes Good Soup, Wind-Brahmin Wrangler
Quests that are sensitive to the order of other quests include:
- Aba Daba Honeymoon needs to be completed before killing Motor-Runner for Colonel Hsu
- Powder Ganger quests for Eddie at NCRCF should be completed before Ghost Town Gunfight (if chosen above)
- Don't talk to Boxcars in Nipton until you're completing Wheel of Fortune
- It's a good idea to complete Bitter Springs Infirmary Blues, Climb Ev'ry Mountain and No, Not Much all before I Forgot to Remember to Forget
- Complete all 10 non-recurring Kill challenges
- Demise of the Machines requires Old World Blues or careful hunting of respawn areas such as New Vegas Steel
- Super Mutant Massacre requires careful hunting of respawn areas to fully complete
- Complete all 17 non-recurring Damage challenges
- Complete all 37 non-recurring Other challenges with possible exceptions:
- Collect all 36 unique weapons
- Collect all 31 moddable weapons and the 48 mods
Armor and Clothing
There are a range of unique and faction armour and clothing items to collect. However, many are worn by friendly NPCs and require reverse pickpocketing or killing NPCs to collect. So this list includes the maximum number of unique items with the reservation that I never end up collecting them all as I often prefer them worn by the original wearer.
- 18 unique clothing items
- 5 unique light armor items
- 2 unique medium armor items
- No unique heavy armor item (except one worn by Legate Lanius in the ending quests)
- 6 power armor types:
- Lucky shades
- 11 unique hats (plus Suave gambler hat if Wild Wasteland trait is selected)
- 5 unique helmets
- Pimp-Boy 3 Billion
- Unique food and drink items:
- Special Unarmed techniques - Khan Trick, Legion Assault, Ranger Takedown, Scribe Counter
- Buy as many implants as possible (depending on Endurance)
- Learn Power Armor Training
- All available ranks of all challenge perks
- Skillbooks - Read all 52 skillbooks
- Snow globes - 7 in the main game.
- Find and slay all 4 legendary creatures
- Unique crafting recipes - .44 Magnum SWC rounds, Brahmin Wellington, Cass's moonshine, Cook-Cook's Fiend stew, Powder charge, Rose's wasteland omelet
- Sleeping partners
- Find and record all holodisks and notes
- Unique/rare but useless items:
I will add to this list as things occur to me. Feel free to suggest more additions or discuss completionist tips and tricks in the comments below.