|Main quest: Unlikely Valentine|
|Travel to Park Street station.|
|Enter Vault 114 and find your way to Nick Valentine.|
|Release Nick and follow him to the entrance of the vault.|
|Confront Skinny Malone.|
|Leave the station and talk with Nick.|
|Reward: 200 XP|
Faded trench coat
|Leads to: Getting a Clue|
After speaking to Ellie Perkins, it is revealed that Nick Valentine is being held captive in Park Street station. The station is filled with feral ghouls, but inside the station is the entrance to Vault 114. The vault is guarded by Triggermen armed with sub machine guns. The player needs to fight their way through the vault until they come to a large open Atrium. Upstairs is Dino guarding the Overseer's office where Nick is being held. Sneaking close allows the player to listen to a conversation between Valentine and Dino where Valentine convinces Dino that a crime boss is upset at him about his gambling habit. Dino then runs out of the room to square things off with said crime boss leaving the coast clear to free Valentine. Alternatively, Dino may be killed without waiting for him to leave. The control panel next to the office door can then be used to free Valentine.
Speaking with Nick reveals why he is there and that they should leave as soon as possible. On the desk behind him is the Speech bobblehead. After talking with Nick, he will take the lead out of the vault where Skinny Malone and Darla will be waiting to stop the escape. With a few speech checks it is possible to turn them against each other or leave the vault without fighting at all. If a certain stage of the quest The Sight with Mama Murphy has been completed before coming to the vault, there will be an additional speech option that allows escape without any violence. Otherwise, the Sole Survivor and Valentine will need to kill Skinny Malone and his companions in order to leave.
After exiting the vault there is a short conversation with Valentine where he directs the Sole Survivor to meet him back at his office in Diamond City. Upon arrival, speaking with Ellie will end the quest.
- Even if you hide from or otherwise avoided Dino so he leaves the room alive, Nick will still say it won't be long till the others realize "muscle for brains" (Dino) isn't returning. Furthermore, he will simply wait in a side room off the hallway, where he will likely detect you and turn hostile.
- Even if you are not detected at all and kill none of the triggerman in the dining area where Nick asks how you want to "play this" he will still comment on your "loud and hard" methods upon leaving the area.
- In the same room as Nick, the player can find the Speech Bobblehead sitting on the Overseer's table.
- While escorting Nick, Astoundingly Awesome Tales #7 (+5 Action Points) can be found on a pile of boxes blockading a hallway, before going through a bedroom.
- If the player ends the conflict with Skinny Malone peacefully, attacking him, Darla, or the remaining Triggermen while they are not hostile does not count as murder in the Pip-Boy's crime statistics.
- Frequently, after convincing Skinny Malone of letting you go peacefully, your companion will just walk instead of run to the exit. They are still near the thugs when the countdown ends, and get involved in a firefight. Unless you are playing on Survival mode, if you don't want to spoil your previous diplomatic success it is best to simply leave, as the companion will teleport to your side.
- If the player frees Nick without meeting Ellie Perkins first, the Sole Survivor will gain a unique speech option.
- If the player frees Nick without having visited Diamond City first, the quest Jewel of the Commonwealth will be auto-completed.
- This is the farthest point in the main quest that a player can skip ahead to after leaving from Vault 111 without the help of console codes or mods.
Behind the scenesEdit
The premise for Nick being in the vault is similar to the story from the film The Big Lebowski, in which a private detective is hired to track down a family daughter-turned-crime boss' trophy wife.
xboxone pc When confronted by Skinny Malone and Darla, the accompanying triggermen will become hostile if a targeting helmet is worn. Removing it will suffice. The highlight ability from berry mentats seems to make them hostile as well. [verification overdue]