Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Just doing what I'm paid to do - harass the muties until they leave or attack us. If they leave, we let 'em go. If they attack, we wipe them out.”— Norton
|Side Quest: Unfriendly Persuasion|
|Talk to Marcus.|
|Kill the Mercenaries||Ask them to leave with a Speech check or NCR fame check.||Ask Marcus to pay the mercenaries to leave.|
|Reward: NCR infamy|
|Reward: 350 XP without asking for money||Reward: 250 XP and 2500-3000 caps (gives Bad Karma for 3000 caps)|
The second time the player returns after finding Jacobstown, Marcus will approach you with news of New California Republic mercenaries harassing the town. He'll then ask you to peacefully deal with them. When asked why the mutants don't kill them, Marcus says it's to avoid giving the NCR an excuse to terminate Jacobstown.
Finding the mercenaries is relatively easy, since they're directly in front of the town. To resolve the quest you can pay them 2500 caps or tell them to leave with a Speech check of 65. If you have a very high NCR standing you may also be able to tell them that you're an NCR hero. Norton will recognize you and they'll leave.
Alternatively, you can also kill them, but this leads to less XP reward and lowered reputation with the NCR.
- Use a suppressed weapon to take them out with Sneak Attack Criticals.
- Take them out head on.
- Note that there will always be 5 mercs (including Norton), all wearing metal armor/reinforced metal armor, combat armor and high-quality weaponry, so a head-on fight might prove difficult for some.
After completing the quest you will gain 350 XP, or 250 XP if you asked for caps from Marcus, regardless of whether you used a Speech check or gave the caps to Norton.
- If resolved peacefully, Norton and the other mercenaries will make their way to the camp fire at the north end of Highway 95.
- The mercenaries can be stealth killed while on their way to the camp fire without incurring NCR infamy.
Behind the scenesEdit
- The quest title is a play on words for the 1956 song "Friendly Persuasion".
pc ps3 xbox360 After convincing Norton to walk away via caps, the area just south of Silver Peak Mine shows a non-hostile non-player character on the compass. The spot the compass points to shows an option to talk to Norton and one or more mercenaries. Doing so does not activate a dialog. [verified]