Fallout 3 locations project
Entrance to Underworld inside the Museum of History
Early concept art for the entrance
Underworld was an exhibit in The Museum of History before the bombs fell, now it is a home to many ostracized non-feral ghouls in Washington, D.C.. It is located inside the Museum of History, and exists as a small city, complete with a bar, inn, clinic, clothing store, and even a self-proclaimed "hair stylist".
Most humans are tolerated, as long as they don't cause trouble. The Brotherhood of Steel are not welcome because of their hostility towards ghouls and the Brotherhood's tendency to shoot them on sight. The super mutants leave the ghouls alone.
This section of the museum featured and showcased the views of various civilizations on the afterlife, and most of the remaining exhibits (including the name of that section of the Museum as well) are all themed as such. Doctor Barrows is the mayor of Underworld.
A ghoul named Willow patrols the exterior of the Museum of History. The entrance to Underworld is located within the Museum of History beneath a giant skull. A Brotherhood of Steel outpost is located nearby the museum, and there are super mutants across the road at The Mall.
As you enter Underworld you will find Tulip's clothing store Underworld Outfitters on your left, Winthrop's office to your right in the back corner, and the Doctor Barrows' laboratory/clinic, The Chop Shop, along the posterior wall. This is where you can meet Reilly the founder of Reilly's Rangers and start the quest "Reilly's Rangers".
Heading up either set of stairs will take you to the overlook. The Ninth Circle is a bar run by a shady ghoul named Ahzrukhal and is on the left side from the main entrance. Carol's Place, where you can rent a room or grab a bite to eat, is located on the right from the main entrance. If you destroyed Megaton without first having finished the Wasteland Survival Guide, Moira Brown will be selling miscellaneous items in the large room at the end of the overlook. You may also resume helping her with the Wasteland Survival Guide by talking to her. Snowflake, the resident barber, is desperate to work with "a full head of hair" and wants to give you a haircut.
- ¹ Unconscious as long as Reilly's Ranger quest isn't completed.
- ² If she survives Stealing Independence and is spoken to after completion.
- ³ If you destroy Megaton without killing her.
- † Can be found wandering around in front of the entrance to the Underworld in the room with the Woolly Mammoth. He must be freed from his prison cell during the Finding the Garden of Eden quest.
- A Replicated Man holotape can be found in Winthrop's maintenance room on his desk. This room is directly west of the Chop Shop entrance. There can also be another holotape in Tulip's shop.
- Tulip sells a schematic for the railway rifle.
- Right before entering the doors to the Underworld Concourse, you're facing north. However, once you're actually inside, you're facing south.
- If you decide to blow up Megaton, Moira Brown will survive and come to live in Underworld, unless you have completed the Wasteland Survival Guide quest, in which case she will remain at Megaton Ruins.
- If she dies on her way to Underworld, her locker (labeled Craterside Supplies) might become glitched into the wall outside the doors of the Ninth Circle. You will still need her key to open it.
- If you don't recruit Fawkes as a companion, he will appear just inside the Museum's entrance after you speak to him outside Raven Rock.
- Charon can be recruited here.
- Fawkes will also go here when dismissed.
Underworld only appears in Fallout 3.
Behind the scenes
- The large ruined painting on the second floor of the Concourse is "Dante and Virgil in Hell" by William-Adolphe Bouguereau.
- Also relating to Dante and Virgil, the bar "Ninth Circle" is phrased after the travels of Dante and Virgil through the nine circles of hell in Inferno. The Ninth Circle is the final circle, where traitors including Lucifer himself reside.
- Many of the inhabitants' names are related to the hell concept, including: Cerberus (Hades' 3-headed dog), Charon (the ferryman of the River Styx), and obviously nurse Graves resides coincidently in the Chop Shop.