Turbo appears as an inhaler of Jet hastily duct-taped to a can of "HairStylez"-brand hair spray. The effect of turbo is a brief slowdown of the surroundings (time goes at about 35% of its original speed), including everything from your enemies' movements, to projectile speeds (your own projectile speed included), and even the duration of the drug itself. However, you are not slowed down yourself - your own movement speed, and fire rate will remain standard.
Its unique perk Fast Times (reward from using turbo 20 times), the challenge perk Day Tripper, the Chemist perk, and the Logan's Loophole trait can greatly increase its duration. With all of these, the total duration is about 68 seconds per single use, or about 34 seconds without the trait.
Turbo causes a brief 'bullet time' effect that dramatically slows the passing of in-game time, which in turn has many effects on the environment around the player. Turbo will not slow player collision physics, movement, or actions. Non-player characters will experience an opposite effect and suffer heavy speed penalties to the aforementioned stats for the duration of turbo, as well as object physics. However, projectile speed from guns or thrown items will be slowed for both the player and non-player characters since bullets, grenades, or thrown melee skill weapons are under the effect of game physics once shot or thrown. This same physics effect applies to manipulable objects as well such as loot-able items or objects that can be moved with collision effects.
Periodic status effects have longer delays between each tick or application of the effect and a longer over-all duration while in turbo. A poison that would normally inflict 6 damage every 3 seconds would have a longer delay between periodic applications of damage and would have a correspondingly longer duration. The duration extension of status effects also applies to non-periodic status effects such as the duration of a Stealth Boy if one were to compare its duration while in a constant period of turbo to the duration it would have outside of turbo, the Stealth Boy worn in turbo would last longer. This does not mean that activating turbo would extend status effects after its duration. The game only matches the duration of the effects and periodic timers to the slowed 'turbo clock'.
Additionally other actions such as viewing the Pip-Boy, switching on or off the Pip-Boy light, holstering or drawing a weapon will be dramatically delayed. It also affects instances where the duration of time is crucial, like when swimming underwater, defusing mines, or some quests. There should be noted that turbo has a high addiction chance and the effects are quite devastating; the user will lose 2 points on his or her Agility.
Fast Times: Use turbo 20 times.
- Reward: Fast Times perk which increases the duration of the turbo effect.
Broc flower (1)
- Red Rock Canyon - Three can be found in the tents.
- Nipton Hall - Behind a locked door (Lockpick 75) a short way along the corridor to the right of the entrance. The key to the door is to right just after entering, behind a counter near an armed frag mine.
- Hell's Motel - Found on Doctor Rotson.
- Boulder City - In the building where you first meet Jessup, a turbo can be found on the shelf, or on the floor to the left of the door, as it may have fallen down. However the only way to obtain it is to steal it, which may make the Great Khans in the area hostile.
- Gomorrah - Can be purchased from the bartenders.
- Black Mountain - One can be found by the two suitcases, near the radioactive area on the left of the mountain path.
- NCR Correctional Facility - Can be found on numerous Powder Gangers.
- Red Rock Drug Lab - Sold by Jack.
- Novac - Sold by Doctor Ada Straus.
- With Chem Resistant, Old World Gourmet Dead Money and Big Brained Old World Blues (add-on) the chance of addiction is only 3%.
- Turbo addiction will only be removed for the period of time turbo is working. In other words, the addiction will come back after the slow time effect has worn off.
- Turbo does not work with V.A.T.S, so it won't reduce the overall damage taken during V.A.T.S by slowing everything down.
- Turbo also triples the time needed to hold the attack button in order to execute power attacks with melee and unarmed weapons, and power attacks with automatic melee and unarmed weapons do their damage slowly, in normal time instead of turbo time. Because the special unarmed perk related moves use power attacks, they will take longer to complete.
- A viable substitute for Turbo is Implant GRX, which activates the same effect for a shorter duration per use, but renews its uses every 24 in game hours.
- Using the Companion wheel while under the effects of turbo affects your companion's voice.
- Turbo won't slow down a launched mini-nuke's velocity, but it will hinder the distance that it travels. [verification overdue]
- xbox360 Turbo seems to have some adverse effects on the incinerator and the heavy incinerator, causing the projectiles to have up to double their normal velocity. [verified]
- pc It may also critically slow down your reload speed (as if it never worn off). The only known way of reversing this is to reload a previous save (not tested). Treating this glitch as an addiction and seeking medical aid from a doctor is another known way of undoing this glitch.[verified]