| ||For the Toxic Caves that appear in Van Buren, see Toxic Caves.|
These caves look like a pre-War storage area. I think there must be more down below us but there's some kind of fancy teck-no-logical lock on the door.”— Smiley
The toxic caves are north of Klamath. Before the War, it was a military warehouse of some sort. Now, it's a radioactive cave inhabited by geckos (little and gold, though mostly gold). Smiley, the trapper from Klamath, is waiting at the end of the second level for someone to save him.
Every step in the green sludge inflicts damage, unless rubber boots are in your inventory. Party members will also require boots in their inventory. Boots can be found on the first level in the caves, and in Trapper Town The boots will eventually melt after crossing a few hundred hexes through the sludge. At higher levels (significantly above the levels which the quest was designed for), boots may be completely unnecessary, as you and your party will have enough resistance to shrug off the damage, or take none at all. Wearing power armor will also negate the sludge's effects. If the Chosen One takes enough unprotected steps in the sludge, they may grow two extra toes a month later.
Some excellent equipment can be found here provided that one has a set of electronic lock picks and high repair skills, though the electronic lock pick Mk II sometimes doesn't work on some locks. On the third level, there is a security robot in the caves that will attack immediately after you take the elevator to the 3rd level. Loot includes a Bozar, a Glock 86 plasma pistol, and a combat armor Mk II.
- Guns and Bullets - In a desk inside the storage bunker.
- In the earlier version of the game, there is only a laser pistol, a little bit of ammo, and some chems found here. There is no armor, Bozar, or plasma pistol.
- If the Chosen One doesn't wear the rubber boots and spent too much time walking in the toxic goo, they will feel a tingling sensation that will eventually grown into a bunion, that will become an extra, mutated toe.
- The sentry bot guarding the lower level will attack only with its rocket launcher, rendering it helpless should its rocket arm be crippled.
- You need at least 50 Lockpick and 60 Repair to get into the bunker.
The toxic caves appear only in Fallout 2