| ||For the Toxic Caves that appear in Van Buren, see Toxic Caves.|
The toxic caves are north of Klamath. Before the War, it was a military warehouse of some sort. Now, it's a radioactive cave inhabited by geckos (little and gold, though mostly gold). Smiley, the trapper from Klamath, is waiting at the end of the second level for someone to save him.
Every step in the green sludge inflicts damage, unless rubber boots are in the Chosen One's inventory. Party members will also require boots in their inventory. Boots can be found on the first level in the caves and in Trapper Town. The boots have a chance to melt as one crosses through the sludge. At higher levels (significantly above the levels which the quest was designed for), boots may be completely unnecessary, as the Chosen One and their party will have enough resistance to shrug off the damage or take none at all. Wearing power armor will also negate the sludge's effects. If the Chosen One takes enough unprotected steps in the sludge, they may grow two extra toes a month later.
The military storehouse on the third level is only accessible much later in the game, as it requires high Repair skill to fix the generator for the lift, then a set of electronic lock picks to get into it (in the unpatched game, the electronic lock pick Mk II doesn't work). In its entry hall, there is a sentry bot that will attack immediately (it only uses its rocker launcher). Loot includes a Bozar, a Glock 86 plasma pistol, a combat armor Mk II and multiple types of ammunition, 500 units of each.
- Guns and Bullets - In a desk inside the storage bunker.
- In the earlier version of the game, there is only a laser pistol, a little bit of ammo and some chems found here. There is no armor, Bozar or plasma pistol.
- If the Chosen One doesn't wear the rubber boots and spends too much time walking in the toxic goo, they will feel a tingling sensation that will eventually grow into a bunion, that will become an extra, mutated toe.
- The sentry bot guarding the lower level will only attack with its rocket launcher, rendering it helpless should its rocket arm be crippled.
- One needs at least 50 Lockpick and 60 Repair to get into the bunker.
- Advanced power armor does not prevent the mutated toe.