Sumanuga, sessha mizukara korekara okorukotoni sonaeneba naranu (I am sorry, but I must now prepare myself for what is to come).”
One of the four entities that you thaw out during the abduction exploration on board Mothership Zeta is a silent and stoid man named Toshiro Kago. His lack of English, and your inability to converse in Japanese, mean conversation is never more than stilted guestures. Paulson refers to him as "the Chinaman," until Sally corrects him. It appears Kaga is a Samurai warrior, and well-skilled in sword combat. His armor appears to date from around the Azuchi-Momoyama period (1568-1603) suggesting that aliens have visited the Earth throughout history. He is more than capable of slaying aliens if a particular ceremonial blade is presented to him. Or he can be slain without your other allies protesting.
Toshiro Kago is from Japan, born sometime before 1562 and participated in many battles for the Oda Clan. After the decimation of the Oda clan, he fought for one or more other unknown clans during the Azuchi-Momoyama period (1568–1603). Also, during the Tokugawa shogunate (1600–1868), Toshiro chose the "wood sorrel" mon for his name and placed it on his okegawa dô.
Interactions with the player character
- Among the Stars: Toshiro can be spoken to about his missing sword and you can return it to him after retrieving it from the maintenance level.
- This Galaxy Ain't Big Enough...: During the final battle on the bridge, after the first wave of aliens are defeated Toshiro will run in from a side door and assist Paulson and Somah in battling the next wave of attackers.
Effects of player actions
- After the events of Mothership Zeta, he stays aboard Zeta and cannot be interacted with. He will disappear if you revisit the Steamworks, but will remain on the bridge if you travel to or from the Capital Wasteland. He can be found later on in the living quarters.
- Despite being unable to understand English, Toshiro still responds with different dialogue depending on whether the player speaks to him with the polite, neutral, or smarmy dialogue options, presumably picking up on the player's tone and body language.
*Toshiro will use the sword if you either recover it from the waste disposal area and give it to him, or if you never enter the Disposal area. Should you decide to keep the sword, he will be unarmed.
- He is originally surnamed "Chinaman" by Paulson, but after Sally tells him that Toshiro is from Japan, Paulson then calls him "Oriental".
- Toshiro has no tagged skills. Most notably, his melee weapons skill is very low which limits his effectiveness in combat with his sword. However, this low skill level is partially offset by the +10 melee damage bonus granted by his armor, and his high health and powerful armor make him an effective damage sponge.
- Theoretically speaking, Toshiro Kago is the oldest living character in the Fallout universe. Since he was born sometime before 1562, this technically makes him more than 715 years old in 2277.
- "Onushi wa nanimono? Koko wa dokoda?"
- "What/who are you? Where is this place?"
- "Sessha no ken! Sessha no ken wa dokoda?"
- "My sword! Where is my sword?"
- "Sappari wakaranai. Koko ga doko nanoka moose. Sessha no ken wa dooshita?"
- "I don't understand [you] at all. Tell me where this place is! What has become of my sword?"
- "Sessha no ken wa dokoda? Ima sugu kaesanu ka?"
- "Where is my sword? Return it now!"
- "Nani o itteorunoda. Sappari wakaran. Nantoka shitekure!"
- "What are you saying? I can't understand. Please do something!"
- xbox360 After completing the main quest of Mothership Zeta, with Toshiro still alive, it is possible to pickpocket him. In his inventory his Samurai Sword will appear but trying to steal it may result in the game crashing, but you can shoot the samurai's sword out of his hand, and take it.
- ↑ Fallout 3 Official Game Guide
- ↑ The formation of a samurai from his childhood ended at the age of 19-20 years. As Toshiro wears an with the color of the Oda clan (lemon yellow kote and other pieces in black), so he had participated in at least one of the battles with the Oda Clan, and as the last Oda clan battle was the Battle of Temmokuzan in 1582 and the Oda Clan ended on June 21, 1582, he must be at least 20 years old during this period.
- ↑ Toshiro has the typical armor of the Oda samurai and wears the colors of the Oda clan - lemon yellow kote and other pieces in black.
- ↑ Fallout 3 Official Game Guide
- ↑ At the beginning of the Tokugawa shogunate on March 24, 1603, the use of mon spread to all classes, from peasant to samurai, and were not anymore reserved for aristocratic families and clans. The mon chosen by Toshiro was a mon popular among the samurai class, since the swards are the symbol of the samurai spirit and the three leaves represent compassion, wisdom and virtue.