Three dog without his characteristic headwrap and glasses
Hey nifty America, it's me, your President John Hen-- Hahaa, gotcha! Three Dog here, how's everyone doin'?”
Three Dog is the radio host, DJ, and news anchor of the Galaxy News Radio station in the Capital Wasteland in 2277, playing music that would have been heard on the radio in the years leading up to WWII, as well as the immediate post-war era.
Born to parents who made their way in the world as members of a traveling theater group, Three Dog grew up listening to rock music, hating the government that he never knew (but surely caused the nuclear holocaust), and fully believing in the rights of free speech and communal law. He is fully committed to "spreading the signal" of his radio station to anyone who will listen; it is his duty to counter the propaganda spouted by the Enclave on their station.
At some point before he established GNR, he was taking Jet and stumbled across Oasis. He established GNR in 2272, together with Margaret. Since he began, he's been broadcasting to the Wasteland with public service announcements and music. At times he makes jests at Enclave Radio, going as far as mocking President John Henry Eden's voice.
Three-Dog believes in what he calls 'fighting the Good Fight', which boils down to noble pursuits in the fight against raiders, super mutants, slavers, Talon Company, and the Enclave. This explains why he cooperates with the Brotherhood of Steel. However, he does not do any physical fighting, nor does he help to coordinate or organize it.
He stays in the GNR Radio Building throughout the entire game.
Interactions with the player characterEdit
- Following in His Footsteps: Passing a speech check will give immediate information about the Lone Wanderer's father.
- Galaxy News Radio: Failing, or not taking the aforementioned speech check starts this side quest. If the player character passes that Speech check, they can immediately reinstate conversation to have both quests running at the same time. The Lone Wanderer can also come back later, or see him for the very first time after having made progress otherwise in the main quest to find his father, and if player character can bring support to Three Dog's "good fight", Three Dog will also give the Lone Wanderer this quest.
- Killing Three Dog before he tells the player character to go to Rivet City at the end of the quest "Galaxy News Radio" starts the quest The Search Continues.
Effects of player character's actionsEdit
- Three Dog will comment on various actions of the Lone Wanderer through his radio broadcasts.
- On Galaxy News Radio, Three Dog will constantly refer to the Lone Wanderer by his/her current Karma title or 101.
|Apparel||Weapon||Other items||On death|
|Three Dog's head wrap
Three Dog's glasses
Merc cruiser outfit
|-||Weapons cache key||-|
- Evidently, his broadcasts are pre-recorded. He can be viewed at the GNR HQ, not doing anything of note, but still his public service announcements or other news can still be heard on the radio. This is further supported by the fact that he can be heard on the radio at any time during the day. Additionally, he often says in his introduction "coming to you taped from my fortified bunker in the middle of a DC hellhole" though he also will say "coming to you live".
- If Three Dog is killed, Margaret will become GNR's broadcaster. However, she will be extremely unmotivated to do this job, and mention that Three Dog was murdered, over and over again. The achievements of the Lone Wanderer will not be mentioned by her.
- If the player helps Roy Phillips get into Tenpenny Tower, Three Dog later refers to the "wholesome slaughter" of the former residents, instead of the common expression "wholesale slaughter."
- If the player goes to Dr. Li in Rivet city before starting the quest Galaxy News Radio, he will instead reward the player with a key to Hamilton's Hideaway.
- Three Dog's broadcast expression can change depending on the actions of the Lone Wanderer. Should the Lone Wanderer pursue a noble, good-Karma path, Three Dog will say "Nice goin' kid!" at the end of an event-determined broadcast. But should the PC choose an evil, bad-Karma path, Three Dog is quoted as saying "Not cool kid. Not cool at all." Or, "what's with that, kid?"
- If the player has completed a task that Three Dog comments on during a broadcast, but the player's overall Karma is opposite of what completion of that task would provide, Three Dog's report will seem to refute itself. Example: If the player has Evil Karma but has completed Those! by helping Bryan Wilks, Three Dog will open his monologue condemning you, then switch to praising you for your efforts in Grayditch.
- Oddly, if the player has the title "Urban Avenger", he will refer to them as an "urban defender" instead. Whether this is a bug, a typo or simply an overlooked recording mistake is unknown.
- "Because one dog ain't enough, and two is too low, it's me, Three Dog!"
- "Hey everybody, this is Three Dog, your friendly neighborhood disc jockey. What's a disc? Hell if I know, but I'm gonna keep talking anyway."
- "People of the Capital Wasteland, it is I, Three Dog, your ruler! Hear me, and obey! Oh sorry, that's that other radio station."
- "Hey nifty America, it's me, your President John Hen-- Hahaa, gotcha! Three Dog here, how's everyone doin'?"
- "That's right, from Megaton to Girdershade, Paradise Falls to the Republic of Dave, we're coming to you loud and proud in a special live report."
- "The Enclave, and that includes their homecoming king, "President" John Henry Eden and his gorilla, Colonel Augustus Autumn, are NOT here to help you."
- "Now what if I, the all powerful Three Dog, bow-wow-wow, were to tell you that somewhere right here in the Capital Wasteland, is a place with lots of trees?"
Behind the scenesEdit
- The name of the character Three Dog is shared by a character played by his voice actor (Erik Dellums) "Dog 3" in the film She's Gotta Have It.
- Erik Dellums helped develop the character, including his signature howls.
- In Borderlands 2, there is a shotgun called the "Dog", and its description is "One barrel isn't enough and two is too few", similar to one of Three Dog's sayings in Fallout 3.
- pc ps3 xbox360 Occasionally, Three Dog will mention events that occur after the ending of the game. He will only do so if the player had downloaded the Broken Steel downloadable content and has not played through the part in the game before it. [verified]
- pc ps3 xbox360 Sometimes after starting a new game, Three Dog can be heard stating things that haven't come to pass yet. This has been known to last until you catch up with the event that he's referring to. [verified]
- ps3 xbox360 Sometimes Three Dog will start saying a comment and then quickly switch comments about the player over and over again. This can prevent you from listening to music for the rest of the game. [verified]
- pc ps3 xbox360 Occasionally Three Dog will repeat the "News" section of the broadcast 2-3 times over until he later continues playing songs again. [verified]
- ↑ Fallout 3 Official Game Guide
- ↑ http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/01/10/fallout-4-teased-by-threedog-actor-eric-todd-dellums/