Frenzied fire ants
|Side Quest: Those!|
|Meet Bryan Wilks near Grayditch|
|Find his father's corpse in their house.|
|Inform Bryan of his father's fate.|
|Investigate Marigold station and meet Doctor Lesko.|
|Ask for incentive.||Kill Dr. Lesko.|
|Reward: Lesko's lab coat||Reward: Evil Karma|
|Kill the five nest guardians.|
|Leave the ant queen alone||Kill the ant queen.|
|Activate Inhibitor Pulse.||Convince Lesko it was for the best.||Fail to, or don't, convince him.|
|Reward: Ant Might or Ant Sight perk|
|Agree to find Bryan Wilks a new home.|
|Have him live with Vera Weatherly at Rivet City.||Have him live at Little Lamplight.||Sell him to the slavers at Paradise Falls.|
|Reward: Good Karma||Reward: Evil Karma|
|Reward: 300 XP|
During the first two stages of the mission, Bryan will be hiding in the Pulowski Preservation shelter near the diner.
Find Bryan Wilks's fatherEdit
Bryan Wilks will approach you in the area outside Grayditch, where he tells you that he, his father, and the other dwellers were attacked by fire ants. He then asks the player to look for his father in the town. The father's body can be later found in his house by the shack, killed by the fire ants. You can loot a Chinese assault rifle and some ammunition off the shelf in the house and the shack's key from Bryan's father's body. In the shack, you can find Doctor Lesko's equipment and terminal. Read the notes on the terminal to receive the Marigold station location and the option to proceed there to locate the source of the fire ants. Also, with a mildly challenging Speech check or the Child at Heart perk, you can convince Bryan to give you the key to a dumpster behind the diner with some pretty valuable loot if you are at a lower level (a number of Frag Grenades, 1 pistol with ammo, some medical supplies).
Find the source of fire antsEdit
While searching the Marigold Metro Station for the cause of the fire ant infestation, you instead find Doctor Lesko working in a makeshift laboratory. He explains the origin of the fire ants, particularly their ability to spit fire. You can choose to help him reverse the effect or deal with the giant ant queen yourself.
- Path 1: Kill only the fire ant nest guardians guarding the fire ant queen and return to Dr. Lesko for a choice of either the Ant Might or the Ant Sight perk.
- Path 2: With a Speech check or a high enough Science skill, you can kill the fire ant queen and convince Lesko that it's the best for humanity, and get one of the perks. You are awarded positive Karma if you take this path.
- Hack the terminal in the hatchery to send an inhibitor pulse which will kill all fire ants found in the Grayditch area (excluding those in Marigold station).
- Hack his terminal in the hatchery to destroy the mutagen sample (which is the FEV). You are awarded positive Karma. Having done this, you must pass a speech check or have Science 70 to convince Lesko that it was best for humanity.
- Kill Doctor Lesko and receive negative Karma. The same happens if you lie about the protectors being dead: he runs into the hatchery and you receive negative Karma. The instant you enter the hatchery, he spontaneously drops dead and you receive the hacking objective.
Find a place for Bryan Wilks to stayEdit
First, talk to Bryan and tell him about his father's fate and the fire ants. He is located in the Pulowski Preservation shelter to the right of the diner in Grayditch. You are then given the option of helping him find a place to live. Bryan will tell you that a cousin of his lives in Rivet City. He is talking about Vera Weatherly, owner of the Weatherly Hotel. You only need to find her and mention that Bryan needs a place to live and she'll happily agree to take him in. You will be awarded considerable positive Karma for choosing this option. With the arrangement made, simply return to Grayditch and tell Bryan that he can move in with his aunt; he will agree to move out there, and the quest will end. When you return to Rivet City, Bryan will be there.
It's also possible to convince the Mayor of Little Lamplight to let him stay there, either with a speech check or via the Child at Heart perk. Be forewarned that discussing this option with the Mayor will prevent the dialogue option for Bryan's relocation from appearing with Vera Weatherly, closing off that path even if Bryan has not been told of his potential new home. Since this is not as good an arrangement for Bryan, no Karma will be awarded either way.
Alternatively, you can go to Paradise Falls. Talk to Eulogy Jones, and tell him you have a child for sale. He will offer 100 caps initially, but you can receive 300 caps if you pass a speech check. You will receive a considerable amount of negative Karma for this despicable act, and Eulogy will give you the agreed-upon number of caps and a collar to put on the hapless youngster. You will then trick Bryan into putting on the collar, and explain that it will guide him home. Again, the quest will be completed and experience points will be given. Bryan will not be seen again, even though Three Dog will mention that he is at Paradise Falls.
You can also tell Bryan that you're unwilling to find him a place to live (or never offer to in the first place), which will end the quest immediately. Bryan will move back into his old house and live in Grayditch by himself. No Karma will be gained or lost. However, this option is irreversible, even if you have a change of heart later. For example, even if you encounter Vera Weatherly later in the game, the dialog option for getting her to take Bryan in will not even appear.
As long as you do not sell him to the slavers, you get the 300+ experience points (you still get the XP for doing this on the 360 and the PS3).
Bryan usually finds you, most often on your first trip to Super-Duper Mart. If he does not, or if he approaches you while you are in combat and gets scared off, here are the other places you may find him:
- Standing on a sidewalk in Grayditch: to the west of the diner, up a hill, and across the bridge in front of the Talon Company camp.
- The southern entrance to the scrapyard.
- Granny's Shack at Wilhelm's Wharf near the river near Grayditch.
- Talking to Doctor Lesko will also give you Bryan's location on your Pip-Boy.
- You may encounter a wastelander telling you to "run for your life!" and that "they burned Grayditch to the ground," and a Map Marker for Grayditch will be added. The encounter does not give the quest, even upon entering Grayditch and the player must find Bryan Wilks or Doctor Lesko on his/her own to obtain the quest.
- You can also acquire the quest by looking in the recently built shack (lock varies depending on your stats) in Grayditch, then hacking into Lesko's computer. (Xbox 360 version and PC version)
- Lesko's lab coat
- Ant Might OR Ant Sight perk
- 300 XP
- Good Karma if Bryan is sent to Rivet City
- Neutral Karma if Bryan is sent to Little Lamplight or left alone in Grayditch
- Evil Karma if Bryan is sent to Paradise Falls
|10||Find Bryan Wilks's father.|
|20||Deliver the bad news to Bryan Wilks.|
|30||Remove the source of the Fire Ants.|
|35||Investigate Marigold Metro Station and remove the source of the Fire Ants.|
|40||Eliminate all five Nest Guardians from the Ant Queen's Hatchery.|
|42||(Optional) Do not harm the Ant Queen.|
|43||Send the Inhibitor Pulse from Lesko's portable terminal or Kill the Ant Queen.|
|45||Return to Doctor Lesko.|
|50||Return to Bryan Wilks.|
|52||Find Bryan Wilks in Grayditch.|
|60||Quest finished||Find a home for Bryan Wilks.|
- In Doctor Lesko's shack, look at the desk on the left. There is a recording that contains that terminal's password. Another password recording which grants access to Lesko's terminals in Marigold station can be found on his corpse.
- Make sure you clear any nearby fire ants upon approaching Doctor Lesko's location, as the ants will trigger him to flee upon exiting dialogue with him. If this does happen, he will flee and most likely die, making the perks (Ant Might or Ant Sight) and lab coat impossible to receive through legitimate means.
- Once you ask a non-player character about a home for Bryan, you cannot ask anyone else which forces you to send Bryan to only them.
- Positive Karma will be given for what you do first; destroying the mutagen sample or killing the fire ant queen.
- After reporting to Doctor Lesko about killing the guardians you can return to the hatchery to kill the queen for the experience and karma without having to pass the speech check
- If your Science skill is high enough, Doctor Lesko will tell you that he is using the FEV to perform his experiments.
- When inside Doctor Lesko's lab, you can hack his terminal to unlock a "Hatchery Access Door." This seems useless if you don't shoot Doctor Lesko on sight.
- William Brandice's body can be found north of Doctor Lesko's Marigold Lab, in the connecting tunnel between the two main tunnels. He is wearing a wasteland surgeon outfit (Medicine +5) and carrying his Enclave issue sidearm mentioned in his computer. You also get the key to his footlocker in his Grayditch home.
- After the completion of this quest, Doctor Lesko (if he is still alive), can be found back in his shack in Grayditch. He will offer caps for any fire ant nectar you provide him.
- Having the Entomologist perk when talking to Bryan can trigger a special dialogue about the ant queen.
- It is also important to note that the ant queen is hostile, causing followers to engage her, which will result in the failure of the bonus objective.
- If you complete this quest (destroy the ants and find Bryan Wilks a new home) you will be mentioned positively by Three Dog on Galaxy News Radio. However, if you complete the quest but fail to find a new home for the boy, Three Dog will mention that you left the boy to fend for himself, and his comments will be far less positive. Likewise, he will know if the player sold Bryan as a slave, and his commentary will be strongly negative.
- Once you find a home for Bryan Wilks and Doctor Lesko moves back into the Grayditch shack, you cannot get the Ant Sight / Ant Might perks from him even if you haven't already done so.
- You can skip informing Bryan about his father's death until the end of the quest. If you do so, he mentions burying his father even before you have the option to inform him. When you tell him, he says he had already went and looked for himself.
Behind the scenesEdit
- This quest was inspired by the 1954 Sci-Fi horror film Them!, a story about early New Mexico atomic tests that cause common ants to mutate into giant, man-killing ones.
- Bryan will occasionally make comments from inside the fallout shelter. One of these comments: "Now I know what a TV dinner feels like," is a reference to "Die Hard," in which Bruce Willis says the same line while crawling through a ventilation shaft.
- William Brandice is often referred to as, "W. Brandice". This is likely a reference to the character, "Werner Brandes", from the 1992 computer movie, Sneakers.
- xbox360 After completing the quest by sending Bryan to Vera, the screen text may say completed quest "Thos!" instead of 'Those!'. [verified]
- xbox360 Sometimes, Bryan will not be in Grayditch and will be standing underwater near Willhem's Wharf. You will not be able to interact with him, rendering the quest impossible to complete. [verified]
- xbox360 Your companions will automatically start attacking the ant queen, which will not result you in failing the optional requirement of not harming her, but Doctor Lesko will still know that you harmed the ant queen. [verified]
- xbox360 Sometimes Vera will be missing, causing the quest to be impossible to complete and get good karma. [verified]
- pc ps3 xbox360 Occasionally while attempting to leave the ant queen's hatchery, the ant queen will appear directly on top of the player while in the cave tunnel. From that point on she is usually stuck but can still turn and attack the player. This can result in the tunnel being blocked so the player is unable to return to Dr. Lesko without killing the queen or with neither Lesko or the player being able to return to the Hatchery without killing the queen. [verified]
- pc xbox360 It is possible to trigger the initial conversation with Doctor Lesko without opening the door to his lab if you get close enough.
- ps3 xbox360 Sometimes, after completing the quest, GNR will not make an update regarding the quest. [verified]