The White Wash
White had a lot of promise. Wanted to be a ranger as bad as anyone I've seen. But he also had some extracurricular activities going. Now he's gone.”— Lt. Boyd
|Side Quest: The White Wash|
|Talk to Lt. Boyd about missing people. She tells you about Cpl. White, and directs you to a Gomorrah prostitute to find him.|
|Dazzle mentions a man named Trent Bascom who works at the NCR Sharecropper Farms.|
|Trent tells you White talked to Lieutenant Romanowski but got nowhere.|
|Romanowski directs you to Tom Anderson, a Follower of the Apocalypse in Westside. Make sure to pickpocket the note Reprimand Recommendation before you leave from Romanowski.|
|Travel to Westside and head to Casa Madrid Apartments. Anderson's apartment is on the north side on the ground floor. Talk to him and pass an Intelligence check to discover the truth behind White's disappearance. If you fail the Intelligence check and cannot convince him, Anderson will tell you to ask around Westside.|
|Find Hector, a young boy working on the farms, if you are able to pass a Speech check (80) you can get the boy to tell you Anderson confronted Corporal White. Otherwise follow him on his way to the water well and catch him stealing from the NCR. Then confront him to get some answers.|
|Keep Westside's secret by taking part of the co-op (10% of earnings (or 20% with a 50 Barter skill). You will have to visit Etienne in the store to receive your first payment. There will be 250-400 caps every day||Turn Anderson in (this will turn him hostile towards you), kill him, and take the note Anderson's confession. Return to Boyd and tell her the truth. She will send troops to stop water from being stolen.||Keep Anderson's secret and tell NCR that White was killed by the Scorpions gang. This increases your reputation with the Followers of the Apocalypse. Return to Boyd and you can either do as you promised Anderson, or tell Boyd the truth.||Convince Anderson to turn himself in via lie in exchange for keeping Westside's secret and receive good karma.|
|Reward: Access to the NCR MP confiscated goods trunk and about 650 XP.|
Get I Put a Spell on You from Colonel James Hsu, then talk to Captain Ronald Curtis. Once this is done, you can talk to Lieutenant Boyd about missing people. After talking about Bryce Anders, you have the option of asking who else is missing. She will tell you that Cpl. White has gone missing and will direct you to Dazzle, a prostitute at Gomorrah. Make sure to check Corporal White's things and get Corporal White's journal entry. When you're done with that, go to the Strip and meet Dazzle. She's in the Gomorrah courtyard. She will tell you how White used to always talk about the water treatment plant and mention a man named Trent Bascom (the same info can be found on her body, if she's dead). Bascom is located on the east side of the NCR Sharecropper Farms.
After talking to Trent, you'll discover that White talked to Lieutenant Romanowski but got nowhere. Make sure to pickpocket Note from Corporal White from Trent. Talk to Romanowski and you can pass an Intelligence check, but it really doesn't yield anything. White went to talk to Tom Anderson, a Follower of the Apocalypse in Westside. Make sure to pickpocket the note Reprimand Recommendation before you leave from Romanowski.
Travel to Westside and head to Casa Madrid Apartments. Anderson's apartment is on the north side on the ground floor. Talk to him and pass an Intelligence check to discover the truth behind White's disappearance. Alternatively, if you're on good terms with the Followers of the Apocalypse, you can convince him to tell you the truth.
If you fail the Intelligence check or cannot convince him otherwise, then Anderson will tell you to ask around Westside to find out what happened to Corporal White. You will find Hector, a young boy working on the farms, if you are able to pass a Speech check (80) you can get the boy to tell you Anderson confronted Corporal White and he thinks something bad happened or you can question him about White normally. A new objective appears, to follow Hector during the day to find out where he is getting water from (if you did not pass the speech check). After following him for a while Hector is found walking into the North Cistern and caught stealing water from the NCR. Dialog occurs where Hector blames it on Anderson, and a new objective to interrogate Anderson appears. Find Anderson and confront him to finish the quest by doing one of the following:
- Keep Westside's secret by taking part of the co-op (10% of earnings (or 20% with a 50 Barter skill). You will have to visit Etienne in the store to receive your first payment. There will be 250-400 caps every day (you can "wait" for 24 hours, but do not complete the quest if you want to continuously collect caps from Etienne). Trent still complains about the water shortage and talks about leaving.
- Turn Anderson in (this will turn him hostile towards you), kill him, and take the note Anderson's confession (this might give you a negative reputation towards the Followers; if you get negative rep load up a previous save and try again). If Arcade Gannon is in your group he will comment on how it was unnecessary to kill him; an Intelligence of 7 can justify how it was for the better. Return to Boyd and tell her the truth. She will send troops to stop water from being stolen. You can then go to the Sharecropper Farms and talk to Trent, who will comment on a sudden increase in water and reward you with 10 maize, 10 banana yucca fruit and 10 coyote tobacco chew.
- Keep Anderson's secret by telling NCR that White was killed by the Scorpions gang. This increases your reputation with the Followers of the Apocalypse. If Arcade Gannon is in your group he will also comment on the issue. Return to Boyd and you can either do as you promised Anderson, or tell Boyd the truth (if you told Boyd the truth, she will react the same as if you killed Anderson. When you go to Sharecroppers Farms and talk to Trent he will still comment on the rationing of water by the NCR and he and the other farmers are heading back west).
- Convince Anderson to turn himself in, by lying to Boyd about a fall out with White over Dazzle (there is no option to tell the truth about the missing water) in exchange for keeping Westside's secret and receive good karma. Trent still complains about the water shortage and talks about leaving.
No matter which option you choose, Boyd will reward you with the key to the MP confiscated goods trunk. It's found on the same floor of the airfield as Boyd's office but on the opposite side, just against the entrance to the Legion centurion's cell area. In the trunk you'll find some magazines, a super stimpak, and possibly doctor bags and Mentats.
|1||Talk to Dazzle about the missing Corporal White.|
|2||(Optional) Look through Corporal White's personal effects in his locker in the McCarran Concourse Area.|
|3||Find out what Trent Bascom knows about Corporal White.|
|4||Speak with Lieutenant Romanowski about Corporal White.|
|5||Ask Tom Anderson about Corporal White's whereabouts.|
|6||Speak with Etienne to complete your "Business" arrangement with Anderson.|
|7||Quest finished||Tell Lieutenant Boyd what happened to Corporal White.|
- You may need to talk to Colonel James Hsu about the missing Ranger Bryce Anders, if not the conversation option with Boyd about the missing people will not appear and you cannot start the quest. Col Hsu also asks you to talk to Boyd during the quest I Put a Spell on You, which will then open up the conversation option about the missing people.
- There is a dialog path with Lt. Boyd about Anderson asking to increase water flow to Freeside and taking it to Colonel Hsu, that may get someone else to stumble into the water numbers discrepancy, no noticeable effects in the game though.
- This quest is tied to Arcade Gannon's personal quest For Auld Lang Syne. It is possible to get 3 of the 5 "points" needed for Arcade to tell you about the Remnants. See the quest page for more info.
Behind the scenesEdit
This quest contains a few references from the 1974 film Chinatown. Like the movie, the mystery involves water, which is also referenced in the quest's title. A character present in the quest named Romanowski is a portmanteau of the name Roman Polanski, the director of Chinatown.
- pc ps3 xbox360 Boyd won't let you talk about the missing people if you complete the unmarked quest Silus Treatment. For PC users, the quest can be started with the console command setstage f0629 10. [verified]
- pc ps3 It may still be possible to receive and complete this quest after completing Silus Treatment if you have not also completed I Put a Spell on You as speaking with Boyd about this quest will open up multiple dialogue options with her in spite of the initial, "Haven't you done enough," greeting. [verified]
- xbox360 For some reason, if you choose to turn Anderson in (or let him turn himself in) he can be seen walking around Camp McCarran some days later, and can be talked to, but is also found in the cells relentlessly pacing. [verified]
- xbox360 If you acquire Corporal White's Journal entry before speaking to Boyd, the optional task "search Corporal White's personal locker" cannot be completed. This might lead to a savegame issue where the loading screen dialog tells you that the memory device is no longer present due to inaccessible DLC objects. The game will then restart upon loading dialog confirmation. This repeats with the next loading attempt, rendering the savegame useless. [verified]
- ps3 xbox360 Tom Anderson can disappear into the wall though he still shows up on your radar. Without talking to him, you cannot complete the quest. This MAY however be resolved by normal reloading procedures or even exiting and re-entering the building. [verified]
- pc Upon triggering a hostile conversation option, such as telling him you'll not keep Westside's secret, or by telling him you'll "take him out", Anderson will say you've "left him not choice", and will turn him hostile, however if he is seated during this encounter, he will simply stand up, turn hostile, and then sit back down before turning non-hostile again. You'll still be able to talk to him as though he were a normal non-player character, and he will not attack the player. [verified]
- xbox360 Upon leaving the Casa Madrid Apartments your save file might be corrupted. [verified]