The Star Showdown
What? This? He stole this from me at gunpoint. Lucky for me, he got distracted and I got a chance to draw on him. It's a, uh, necklace that I made out of these special caps. You ever see any caps with a blue star on them like these?”— Jacklyn
Located just outside the west exit of Nipton, following the road that heads west towards the NCR Mojave Outpost, you can see two non-hostile non-player characters shooting each other. The two non-player characters are named Tomas and Jacklyn and will continue to fight each other until one of them is dead. They cannot be interacted with until they have finished fighting, however, Jacklyn will shout out to the player for help. You can kill either character at this point without affecting Karma.
Once either Tomas or Jacklyn have been killed, the other non-player character will approach the Courier and initiate conversation.
- If Tomas is the survivor, he will inform you that Jacklyn was his traveling companion he met a few days earlier. He claims they were getting along, even flirting, when she turned her gun on him and demanded his caps. When he gave her his money, she stated she wanted his necklace made of Sunset Sarsaparilla star bottle caps.
- If Jacklyn is the survivor, she may first run over to Tomas's corpse and interact with it before running over to the Courier. She will claim that he was insane and wanted stars.
- You can pass a Speech challenge (Speech 50) to convince him that his 'Lucky Necklace' is dangerous and that he should give it to you.
- If you demand the necklace, he will become hostile and attack the player.
- Other dialogue options will end the conversation and Tomas will leave and remain friendly.
If the player first kills Tomas, then Jacklyn will approach the player after interacting with Tomas' body and initiate conversation. Through certain dialogue, she will give you her description of events and achieve one of the following outcomes:
- If you explain that Tomas was after Sunset Sarsaparilla star bottle caps and end the dialogue, she will remain friendly.
- If you confront her about what she stole from Tomas's body and pass an Intelligence check (7), you can trick her into revealing that she has stolen Tomas' 'Lucky Necklace' of 7 Sunset Sarsaparilla star bottle caps. She will tell the player she 'can't leave any witnesses' and will immediately become hostile.
- If you reveal that you have Sunset Sarsaparilla star bottle caps, after the dialogue closes, she will remain friendly for a short period before becoming hostile and attacking the player.
- All other dialogue options will end the conversation and Jacklyn will remain friendly.
- After dialogue, if you can find his body, Tomas will have his journal on him that is normally found on death. This reveals that Jacklyn is lying about being ambushed and you may confront her if you can catch up.
You can choose to pickpocket Jacklyn for the Sunset Sarsaparilla star bottle caps and 10mm round ammunition, incurring in a loss of Karma. You can however kill her at any time with no Karma loss, even after the gunfight or before you talk to her. After she loots Tomas' body, she will have 9 Sunset Sarsaparilla star bottle caps, otherwise she will have only 2, the other 7 will still be with Tomas.
- 2-7 Sunset Sarsaparilla star bottle caps depending of your choice. You can also get the 9 Sunset Sarsaparilla star bottle caps - see the walkthrough.
|Apparel||Weapon||Other items||On death|
|Leather armor||10mm pistol||7 Sunset Sarsaparilla star bottle caps||Tomas's journal|
|Apparel||Weapon||Other items||On death|
|Raider badlands armor||10mm pistol||2 Sunset Sarsaparilla star bottle caps|
- If you don't actually pass the area in which they have the gunfight, you may be randomly approached by either of them later in the game.
- If you don't want to suffer any Karma effect from killing Tomas, right after he initially speaks to you he will walk by an old car. If you shoot the car, and time it right he may have an "accident" in the resulting explosion. Alternatively, you can follow him and he may get killed by radscorpions.
- Failing the speech challenge and demanding the necklace will result in Tomas turning hostile, giving the player free rein to take him down with no negative Karma.
- If you miss the fight, he will normally walk to you and if you didn't take his bottle caps, you can find him at the place where the gunfight was.
- This fight may only occur if you have some Sunset Sarsaparilla star bottle caps collected.
- Tomas and Jacklyn have a special faction tag that causes random critters and raiders to ignore them, to prevent randomly spawned mobs from interrupting their gunfight.
- Tomas and Jacklyn have relatively high health (120 each) and abysmal Guns skill (5 each), so their shootout will last a significant period of time unless the player intervenes.
- After speaking with the player, the survivor of the gunfight will travel to the Mojave Outpost and disappear from the game world, unless killed by the player.
- If the Courier has gained the Terrifying Presence perk, it is possible to get as many as 16 Sunset Sarsaparilla star bottle caps from this encounter. To accomplish this, Jacklyn must win the fight, and the ensuing conversation must be ended without provoking her to attack or betray the Courier. Jacklyn's 9 star bottle caps can then be pickpocketed off of her as she walks away. Take Tomas's journal from his body to prove her a liar. Reinitiate conversation after doing so, accuse her of stealing, and then demand the necklace with the Terrifying Presence option. She will hand over seven additional bottlecaps before walking back to the Mojave Outpost and remaining there for the rest of the game.
- xbox360 pc Jacklyn's body may not be present if Tomas runs up to the Courier, it disappears from the gameworld. [verified]
- xbox360 Jacklyn's body can spawn in Nipton if Tomas runs up to the Courier. [verified]
- xbox360 ps3 Sometimes the gunfight doesn't happen. [verified]
- xbox360 When walking on the road from Nipton to the Pit Stop, Tomas will be walking away and Jacklyn's body is nowhere to be found. Oddly enough, killing Tomas rewards you with 0 caps as his necklace will have mysteriously disappeared. [verified]