The Scribe is a former member of the Capital Wasteland Brotherhood of Steel, now wandering the Commonwealth repairing and selling armor. If the Sole Survivor asks what his story is, he says he was a Brotherhood of Steel scribe back in the Capital Wasteland under Elder Lyons.
He claims to have left the Brotherhood when Elder Maxson took over that chapter of the Brotherhood, because under Maxson the Brotherhood stopped using its resources to help the people and also mentions knowing Maxson back when he was still "Squire Maxson."
Interactions with the player characterEdit
- The Scribe can be recruited as a settler once the settlement population cap reaches 10.
- On a road east of Dark Hollow Pond (same road as the one in front of General Atomics Galleria).
- East of Cambridge Police Station.
- On the road near a train bridge east of Boston Police rationing site. To locate this area, fast travel to the site, then go south for a short distance until reaching the train tracks. Follow the tracks east until reaching a road going underneath them. Walking under the bridge triggers the encounter (save before going underneath it). Jump down on the south side of the bridge and walk underneath toward the Red Rocket station. The Scribe can potentially spawn around the corner of the station. Other NPCs and random encounters can be also found here.
- In a small square between Greenetech Genetics and Cambridge crater
- On the street right outside of Med-Tek Research. Fast travel to the location, turn left, and walk down the street. An NPC should be visible while approaching a three-way intersection, and enemy forces up to and including a deathclaw, can materialize behind the player character. NOTE: Players wishing to farm this site for merchants, need to avoid ALL encounters, NPC or enemy forces, who appear here if they are not who or what the player is seeking; reload the nearest autosave or quick save and try again. Clearing the various encounters here by taking any relevant action (dialogue, fighting, etc.) will cause this area to "dry up," meaning no further encounters of any sort will happen again.
- Near Revere Satellite Array.
- Near the front of Hesters Consumer Robotics.
- Behind the Cambridge Polymer Labs building. To trigger random encounter, fast travel to the location and go south, then turn west and go down the road along the river until reaching the broken Red Rocket billboard. Then turn around and go back. Alternatively, travel to Cambridge Police Station and go down the same road to Cambridge Polymer Labs.
- South of Concord, near where Trashcan Carla is first encountered.
- South of Oberland station. Simply follow the train tracks until reaching a derailed train and a red water stop (save and load here to reset the encounter). Further south, the tracks are blocked by fallen trees, stop by the third and a npc will have spawned in front of the player character and is walking towards them (potentially The Scribe) or behind them at the train water stop (super mutants most likely). After hiring the scribe a bug can occur in which where random encounters will stop spawning with this method.
- During Reunion quest on the railroad slightly before Yaoi Goai (Killed Yaoi Goai, run back to near the stairs and back again he spawn just before Yaoi Goai location)
- If assigned to an armor emporium in a settlement, he becomes a level 4 vendor with special items like legendary synth armor pieces.
- If Automatron is installed, it will become extremely difficult to encounter the Scribe as most, if not all, fluid encounter spots will now be replaced by Rust Devil patrols.
- Despite being a former member of the BoS, he won't turn hostile against the Sole Survivor if they become enemies with the Brotherhood.
The Scribe appears only in Fallout 4.
Patch 1.4 partly fixes the Scribe, he shows up in the settlement and does not disappear anymore. But even if assigned to level 3 armor store, he still says that his selection is "limited right now", while it's not limited and you can buy legendary pieces from him.