The Power of the Atom
The Power of the Atom
He can stay here until that damn bomb explodes in the center of town for all I care.”— Moriarity's terminal entry about Mr. Burke
|Side Quest: The Power of the Atom|
|Speak to Lucas Simms about disarming the bomb in Megaton.||Speak to Mister Burke in Moriarty's Saloon about rigging the atomic bomb to explode.|
|Disarm the bomb (Explosives 25).||Rig the bomb with a fusion pulse charge.|
|Report to Simms that the bomb is disarmed.||Report to Burke at tenpenny Tower and activate the detonator.|
|Reward: 300 XP, 100 or 500 caps, My Megaton house key and Property deed: Megaton house.||Reward: 300 XP, Evil Karma, 500 or 1000 caps, My Tenpenny Tower suite key and Property deed: Tenpenny Tower suite.|
This quest is given to you by:
- The Sheriff Lucas Simms, wants you to disarm the nuclear bomb in the middle of Megaton. Lucas will at first offer you 100 caps, but you can use Speech to raise the bounty to a total of 500 caps.
- Mister Burke who wants you to help him detonate it, as his employer, Allistair Tenpenny, considers Megaton a blight on the landscape of the Capital Wasteland; Burke can be found in Moriarty's Saloon in Megaton, casually sitting in the corner. You can use Speech for a chance to increase the bounty for detonating the bomb by 500 (total of 1,000) or the Black Widow perk (character must be female) to guarantee a raise of 500 caps.
- If you activate the bomb (considering you have 25 Explosives Skill), and disarm it, the quest is started. This is extremely useful if Lucas Simms was killed before you started the quest, since you can get the reward from his son.
Rig Megaton's atomic bomb to explodeEdit
In the Japanese version of Fallout 3, Mister Burke does not appear and the player cannot get the Fusion Pulse Charge. The only options are to disarm the nuke or ignore it.
Report to Mister Burke in Tenpenny TowerEditAfter rigging the bomb, meet Burke at Tenpenny Tower, which is southwest of Megaton near RobCo. There you can observe the explosion from a safe distance together with Burke and Tenpenny.
Mister Burke will give player the privilege to push the button to detonate the bomb. Doing so instantly lowers the player's Karma by 1000 points. If your Karma before was 0 or negative, a change of -1000 Karma will instantly lead to the lowest possible Karma in the game.
If you help Roy Phillips take over Tenpenny Tower in the Tenpenny Tower quest prior to completing Power of the Atom, you may still complete Power of the Atom. When you return to the top floor penthouse, you will stumble onto Roy Phillips and Mister Burke having a conversation. Roy is intimidated by Mister Burke and the fact that he made his way to the top floor. Roy agrees with Burke on the matter of blowing up Megaton and also states that he could use a man like Burke, thus Burke begins a new partnership with Roy Phillips.
Disarm Megaton's atomic bombEdit
Lucas Simms wants you to disarm Megaton's bomb. Your Explosives skill must be at least 25 to attempt this. Taking some Mentats can temporarily increase it to the necessary level, unless it was very low to begin with. If you are successful, you get a cash reward and the keys to your own Megaton house. The cash reward is usually 100 caps, but with a successful use of your Speech skill on Lucas (before you actually disarm the bomb) you can talk him into a reward of 500 caps (like you can talk Burke into 1000 instead of 500 caps). If you declined payment, you will typically gain 200 Karma instead, though if you disarm the bomb right away, without letting Simms welcome you to Megaton, he will give you the 100 caps.
Mister Burke will leave Megaton after you defuse the bomb. As a result of disarming the bomb, Talon Company mercenaries hired by Mister Burke will randomly appear in an attempt to kill you.
Optional: Deal with Mister BurkeEdit
This section of the quest is optional. You can kill Burke after speaking to him, without talking to Simms first, killing him will result in good Karma and you can avoid risking Simms getting killed. You can also accept the quest to blow up Megaton, and then kill Mister Burke, without penalty.
Optional: Leo Stahl's Drug StashEdit
If your Explosives skill is insufficient (below 25), you will be unable to rig or disarm the Megaton bomb. If your Perception is at least 5 and/or your Explosives skill is at least 20, you can raise it sufficiently by consuming Mentats. One nearby source of Mentats is Leo Stahl's drug cache, which is hidden inside a desk within the water processing plant. One can gain access via the Leo's Drug Habit quest, by picking the lock on the desk (very hard) or by speaking to Doc Church.
Report Mister Burke to Lucas SimmsEdit
After speaking to Burke, a new dialogue option will become available when speaking with Lucas Simms, which can result in him confronting Burke about the plot to destroy Megaton, as long as your Karma is low enough (if you got the fusion pulse charge, mention it and Simms will take it away and proceed). Take care not to "cry wolf," so to speak, because he will not believe you if you rescind your initial warning. Lucas Simms will tell you to follow, after informing you that you're about to see "Wasteland justice" first hand. Simms will attempt to arrest him. Burke will deny the allegations, but will eventually agree to be detained and suggest that Lucas "Lead the way." As Simms turns to lead Burke to jail, Burke pulls a silenced 10mm pistol on him and kills him. (It seems that, if Simms manages to exit the room before Burke takes the shot, the latter will just shoot at nothing in particular. Lucas Simms can then be found dead, outside the saloon.)
Most of the time, saving Simms would involve killing Burke before he draws his weapon, or even before Simms confronts him (which will still yield the same amount of positive Karma). However, if you wish to listen to the dialogue between Burke and Simms, you can still prevent Simms from dying by killing Burke as soon as he pulls out his gun. To do this, have a high powered gun (scoped .44 magnum, sniper rifle, combat shotgun or possibly even a decent melee weapon like a baseball bat) drawn and ready while the two are having their conversation, and as soon as Mister Burke draws his gun, blast him (preferably a headshot to ensure an instant kill) manually or with V.A.T.S. If it takes more than 1 shot (either in or out of V.A.T.S.) to kill him, Mister Burke may still kill Simms. You can try to shoot the silenced 10mm out of Burke's hand instead of killing him. This will give the sheriff time to respond and give you more wiggle room in dealing with Burke, since he will now be unarmed. If you kill Burke before he kills Lucas, the sheriff will thank you afterward. The same response is given whether or not you waited until Burke drew his weapon. It is also possible to immediately press the action button to talk to Burke just before he attempts to kill Lucas after Lucas tells Burke to follow him and turns his back. He will be irritated but will pause to speak to you. During this time you can take out your own weapon and kill Burke.
If you don't act fast, Simms is killed. Afterward, Mister Burke gives you a threat and disappears. If you kill Burke before he disappears, he says his friends will avenge him. If you let Burke kill Lucas Simms and then kill Burke, you can loot both bodies. This will get you a silenced 10mm pistol and a Chinese assault rifle, plus some caps and ammunition. If Lucas Simms dies, you can still complete this quest by talking with his son, Harden Simms, after disarming the bomb.
Neither option will result in a negative reactions from the townspeople, though they may comment "better him (or her) than me" if they see it take place. If in any way the player accidentally hits Simms, the town may become hostile and retaliate.
Seducing Mr. BurkeEdit
If you play as a female character and have the Black Widow perk, you can seduce Burke and get him to spare Megaton. He will then leave the city, with the promise of sending for you later; he will even send you love letters, which can be picked up at Moriarty's Saloon. Another possibility is persuading him to give you 1000 caps upon detonation of the bomb, as opposed to the 500 you would normally get.
Using the Black Widow perk to seduce Burke still results in him putting a hit out on you if you choose to disarm the bomb later.
Side with SimmsEdit
|1||[Optional] Ask Leo Stahl at the Brass Lantern about buying Mentats.|
|2||[Optional] Meet Leo Stahl at the water treatment plant for Mentats.|
|3||[Optional] Loot Leo Stahl's stash at the water treatment plant for Mentats.|
|10||Disarm Megaton's atomic bomb.|
|20||Disarm Megaton's atomic bomb... or rig it to explode.|
|30||Quest finished||Report to Lucas Simms in Megaton.|
Side with BurkeEdit
|15||Rig Megaton's atomic bomb to explode.|
|20||Disarm Megaton's atomic bomb... or rig it to explode.|
|40||Report to Mister Burke in Tenpenny Tower.|
|50||Activate the detonator at Tenpenny Tower.|
|60||Receive reward from Mister Burke in Tenpenny Tower.|
If you disarmed the bombEdit
- Bottle caps
- 500 - If Speech was successful at start of quest
- 100 - If accepted offer, Speech failed, or wasn't employed at start of quest
- My Megaton house Key
- Deed: My Megaton house
- 300 XP
- Karma [+200]: If you disarmed the bomb for free
- A Contract for extermination will be set out on you by Mister Burke or Allistair Tenpenny; Talon Company will start hunting you.
If you destroyed MegatonEdit
- Bottle caps
- 1000 - If Speech was successful at start of quest, or if the Black Widow perk was taken and unique dialog is chosen
- 500 - If accepted offer, or Speech failed
- My Tenpenny Tower suite key
- Deed: Tenpenny Tower suite
- 300 XP
- Karma [-1,000]: If Megaton is destroyed
- Blowing up Megaton is considered one of the most evil acts in the game. It causes an extra video to show in the game's ending if the player has low Karma. The video shows clips of the destruction of Megaton.
- The player can go to Burke and decline his request (leaving the option open still), turn him in to Simms, proceed to accept Burke's request (gaining the Fusion Pulse charge without giving it to Simms), and arm the bomb. After entering the bar Simms will either confront Burke as usual if Burke had entered by the time the player arrives, or he will leave immediately to confront Burke outside only to suddenly die, prompting the threat from Burke. After this is done, the player can still gain access to Tenpenny Tower under the invitation of Burke, but will have to steal a nearby key to access Tenpenny's suite and balcony. The detonator will be available for use with no sign of Burke, and Megaton can be destroyed for only the -1000 Karma and no other compensation, a rather pointless endeavor.
- The player character's father, James, will comment on this quest during The Waters of Life. If you disarm the bomb he will state that he is proud of you. If you detonate it then he will express horror at the murder of the town.
- Mister Burke will kill Simms very quickly once he draws his weapon. However, you are free to kill Mister Burke at any time once Lucas Simms approaches him inside Moriarty's. Lucas Simms will thank you and give his "I must be getting old" dialogue even if he hasn't said a word to Burke.
- It is possible to get both the good Karma and 100 caps reward for disarming Megaton's bomb, however it must be done the first time you enter Megaton and before Lucas Simms approaches you. Immediately upon entering the town, run up to the undetonated atomic bomb and ignore Simms's dialogue, use some Mentats (if necessary) and disarm the bomb. When it is disarmed, let Lucas Simms approach you and talk to you automatically like he normally would. Being that you disarmed the bomb without ever talking to him, the game treats it as if you didn't want a reward (since you did it of your own accord) and you will be rewarded with good Karma. When he finally approaches you, he will comment not on your arrival, but of the disarming of the bomb, and will inform you that there was a reward for disarming it. He will then give you the 100 caps and the deed to the Megaton house. In proceeding to solve the quest in this fashion however, the player misses out on the chance to haggle for 500 caps via a speech check.
- The trade caravans still stop in front of the Megaton ruins, despite it no longer being a logical site of economic importance.
- Deputy Weld's head will be found in front of the Megaton ruins, speaking his lines in a distorted voice. Ironically, his head will occasionally say that "The bomb is perfectly safe."
- When blowing up Megaton, stuff on Tenpenny's table will be blown away.
- If you did not kill Moira before blowing up Megaton, she can be found wandering near Deputy Weld, ghoulified.
- If you killed Moira before blowing up Megaton, her body will appear outside the ruins.
- Do not forget to take the Strength Bobblehead from Lucas Simms house before detonating the bomb. It is located upstairs in his room on the desk.
- If you let Lucas Simms get killed by Mister Burke or any other way, and then disarm the bomb afterwards, Three Dog will still tell that Lucas Simms credited the Lone Wanderer for disarming the bomb, in spite of the fact he was already dead by the time the bomb was disarmed.
- If you stand in front of Burke as he shoots Simms, the shots will go through you. It is a scripted event like Amata shooting Officer Mack, so the only way to save Simms is to kill or disarm Burke before he begins shooting.
- This is the only achievement or trophy in Fallout 3 that does not have Vault-Boy featured.
- Despite not wearing protective dark glasses, Tenpenny and the Lone Wanderer aren't blinded by the light of the atomic explosion.
- If you talk to Lucas when he is talking to Burke he will simply say "Not now." like Burke.
- Strangely, after the nuke has been detonated, NPCs who live close to Megaton: such as Silver and the raiders of Springvale Elementary, will not have been harmed by the enormous explosion.
Behind the scenesEdit
- The coordinates displayed on the remote detonator at Tenpenny Tower (-01,-07) , are the actual coordinates of the game cell which contains the bomb.