| ||For an overview of Nuclear Option faction quests, see The Nuclear Option.|
|Brotherhood of Steel main quest: The Nuclear Option|
|Speak with Elder Maxson.|
|Go to Father's quarters.|
|(Optional) Speak to Father.|
|(Optional) Issue evacuation order.|
|(Optional) Activate synth deactivation code.|
|Use terminal to override Institute lockdown.|
|Reach the reactor.|
|Plant fusion pulse charge inside reactor.|
|Talk to Elder Maxson.|
|Get to the Relay.|
|Talk to Proctor Ingram.|
|Take Shaun with you.||Leave Shaun behind.|
|Step into the Relay.|
|Activate the detonator.|
|Talk to Elder Maxson.|
|Reward: 1500 XP|
|Leads to: A New Dawn|
The Sole Survivor must talk to Ingram, and She will say to start up Liberty Prime, Once it is started up, The Sole Survivor must follow it through Boston, to C.I.T. ruins. The Sole Survivor will encounter multiple enemies, and many obstacles. When at the Ruins, Arthur Maxson will give an order to destroy the synths attempting to interrupt Liberty Prime. Once Liberty Prime is finished, The Sole Survivor will have to jump into the ruins with Ingram, Maxson, And Several soldiers, including Paladin Brandis if he was convinced to rejoin the Brotherhood. The Sole Survivor must go through a ruined section of the Institute, through Bioscience, (If The Sole Survivor has not gotten Virgil's Cure, they can do so now.) Once in the main section of the Institute, they must clear it of enemies. Once done, they must go to speak to Father. Once finished, they can do as they wish with Father, And issue the evacuation order if they wish to. Afterwards, they must enter Advanced Systems, then clear the section of enemies, and get to the reactor. After doing so, they must activate the terminal, and activate the radiation sweep, then disable the reactor's shielding. After doing so, they must plant the explosive. They will then be teleported out of the reactor section. Ingram will explain that Shaun showed up. The Sole Survivor must decide what to do with Shaun, and then must step into the Molecular Relay. Afterwards, Maxson will tell them that the honor should be theirs to activate the explosive. After doing so, Maxson will tell them to return to The Prydwen and the quest will be completed.
- If Paladin Brandis was convinced to rejoin the Brotherhood ranks after the Lost Patrol, he will accompany your party into the Institute. Be warned, he can die during this mission.
- With 10 Intelligence and Idiot Savant rank 2 triggering, this quest can yield a staggering 9750 XP upon completion.
- After this quest has been completed several Synth soldiers (along with a suit of power armor) will occasionally appear floating above the now cratered remains of the C.I.T. ruins. They are not hostile unless shot and even then don't pose much of a threat since they are swimming. The power armor is unfortunately stuck floating forever.
- The armor can be retrieved, without the use of console commands, by exploiting the physics glitch related to engine blocks. Though difficult, one can position themselves over the armor, let go of the block, and get in, thus depositing the player and power armor in the water below. Due to the rarity of engine block models in the world, and the considerable distance they must be carried to the Institute crater, this method is a considerable undertaking.
- Shortly after the explosion, the ending cutscene will start.
- Possibly a glitch/outdated- see note below . The ending with all three factions, the Minutemen, Railroad, and BOS alive can be achieved through the BOS Nuclear option. Instead of completing Defend The Castle, one can leave it open without traveling to the Castle. Complete Institute quests up to Mass Fusion and then inform the Brotherhood, which will skip Tactical Thinking and resume the BOS quest line. Completing Ad Victoriam will automatically complete Defend the Castle if left open in the quest log. This however, will lock out The Nuclear Option for the Minutemen. This can be an alternative for the best possible ending using the Brotherhood instead of the Minutemen. This will unlock the user with the Sentinel's paint job, Sentinel's plasma caster, and Vengeance instead of the automatic laser musket. However, Maxson's battlecoat and Final Judgement will be unobtainable. (No longer possible as Ingram directs you to Kells before you can speak and Tactical Thinking begins; saving all three factions now requires getting the Minutemen ending.)
- After blowing up the Institute you may find yourself unable to talk to Elder Maxson to continue the quest, or he may be absent. For the PC, open the console and use commands prid 1cc18, recycleactor and then moveto player to teleport Elder Maxson to your location.[verification overdue][platforms tag needed]
- May not need to use recycleactor, just prid & moveto
- ps4 Entering and exiting the FEV lab may cause several Synth Striders to become allied to the Brotherhood and attack other Synths. [verification overdue]
- The player can sometimes be unable to fast travel after killing themselves and reloading on the Mass Fusion before detonating the bomb.[platforms tag needed][verification overdue]
- After completing ad victoriam and entering the institute, Elder Maxson and the rest of the team may not show up. You will not receive the nuclear option quest from Elder Maxson but you can enter the institute but they will attack you once you step out of the elevator. [platforms tag needed] [verification overdue]
- Quest may become stuck on "Speak with Shaun" with no way to move forward without console. SetStage MQ302BOS 720 will fix this issue.
- If you killed Father before confronting him during the quest, his body will spawn sideways in mid air.
This article is too short to provide more than rudimentary information about the subject. You can help Nukapedia by expanding it.