Cleanup (Issue: The Notable loot section could use some subsections to sort the items by area (Mechanist's command center, Research wing, etc).)
To meet Nukapedia's quality standards, this article or section may require cleanup. Please help by the article.
The Mechanist's lair was hidden underneath a RobCo sales and service center which primarily sold and maintained terminals. Employees of the service center were told specifically not to interact with any abnormal crates, or else they would be "taken to see our friends below." In a storage room for the center, a large door which requires an M-SAT to enter leads into a large underground pre-War facility that was used for the development & construction of robobrains (jointly run with General Atomics and the United States Army Robotics Division). Part of it functioned as a pseudo-prison which housed prisoners, who were later operated upon to remove their brains. After wiping their brain of memories and passing assorted tests, the brains would then be housed in a robobrain head and mounted to any of a number of devices, including the bodies of a normal robobrain, controlling stretchers or even controlling operations inside the control center.
Sometime before the events of Automatron, Isabel Cruz discovered the facility while scavenging and took it upon herself to use it to create an army of robots to save the Commonwealth from anything which may hazard humans.
The lair is located on the map slightly north of the East Boston Preparatory School. It is behind an unmarked building, and near a warehouse by a bridge and a small wharf. A freight elevator inside the building (enter the door named "garage") will take the Sole Survivor directly to the underground location. Upon completion of the add-on, the location becomes a new settlement.
- Despite being another interior settlement, this has significantly more customization options than Home Plate, but will have a settlement building limit unlike Home Plate.
- The Mechanists Lair functions like an exterior settlement, in that settlers can be moved here, and supply lines can be established.
- The following settlement crafting options are unavailable:
- There are some patches of 'earth' on the top level in the northernmost corner, just outside the entrance to the facilities wing, where water pumps can be placed.
- The crafting stations spread across the complex outside the construction area are linked to your workshop as if they are part of the settlement.
- The upper levels of the settlement area are at the correct height to structure objects, making for easy development.
- Eyebot model on top of some filing cabinets in the locked room with a skeleton hanging out the window, across from the generator.
- Facilities director's holotape - next to a locked (Novice) ammo box by the facilities management terminal.
- Forfeiture terminal password - located behind a desk as you enter the research wing, below the watch station terminal, gives access to the property storage lockup terminal.
- RobCo sales and service center key - Opens a door and a safe in the lair.
- A fusion core can be found in a generator after entering the Mechanist's lair. Left hand side before the laser grid.
- Perfectly preserved pie inside an Eat-o-tronic in the room with the button-operated platform and garage door.
- A Vault-Tec lunchbox is located by a skeleton at the end of the robot storage area (underneath a yellow eye protection poster). Another is located behind the generators at power substation B on a red stepladder.
- A Mr. Handy model and the lead engineer's holotape are located on a desk next to the chief engineer's terminal in the quality control area.
- Day Tripper one floor above the desk which contains the Mr. Handy model. It's on the left desk which has a dead researcher in front of it.
- Four Nuka-Cola Quantums.
- One can be found in a crate after the fourth gate.
- Two can be found in a crate on the raised left side when the ramp goes down, by Jangles the Moon Monkey and a cymbal monkey playing video games.
- Another can be found in the room with the assembly lines.
- Several robot parts models are scattered around throughout the interior.
- In a locker just after the power substation A where the floor becomes flooded.
- A second model is located on a shelf behind a Master-locked terminal in the research wing.
- A third model is in the brain extraction area of the research labs near a terminal.
- Mr. Gutsy model behind the watch station terminal desk just after entering the research wing.
- Protectron model is found in a surgical tray by a terminal in the cell observation area located above the cells.
- A Stealth Boy located at the end of the cell observation area on a box to the right of a hole in the floor.
Brain Extraction AreaEdit
- Chief scientist's holotape - in the brain extraction area of the research labs near the cerebral reconditioning terminal, on a shelf under the table next to a robot parts model.
- Medical terminal password- can be found on a Quantum robobrain guarding the facilities management room.
- RB-2851 master control password - given by the Mechanist during Restoring Order or taken from her body. Shuts down the security.
- Mechanist's armor and matching helmet can be collected at the end of Restoring Order.
- Mechanist's log found in the Mechanist's bedroom.
- Drawing of the Mechanist found in the Mechanist's bedroom, on the table next to the bed.
- Sentry bot model found in the Mechanist's bedroom, near the bed.
- Overdue book on a small shelf near the Mechanist's bedroom.
- Mini nuke on the shelf in the room at the end of the hall across from the elevator.
- Eyebot pod schematics are on a table in the Mechanist's bedroom.
- Spotlight schematics on the blue terminals in the room at the end of the hall across from the elevator.
- Outside of the Mechanist's bedroom is a small button on a coffee machine which opens up a hidden door at the end of the hallway. The room contains a terminal, missile launcher, missiles, locked safe and a few packets of Mentats in a drawer. It is possible to lock yourself in this room.
- In the security room overlooking the first decontamination corridor is an elevator that goes straight to the control room. It can be activated by shutting down the lockdown, which is done by entering the three supervisor holotapes, found in the lair, into the neighboring computer and manually overriding the lockdown.
- This is one of the few interior locations which can be fast traveled to and from.
- The exterior door cannot be opened until the quest Restoring Order is active.
- After entering the facilities wings, continue until reaching the descending grated ramp. On the left, jump onto the ledge and over the pipe, one will find a Jangles the Moon Monkey and a cymbals monkey appearing to play pong while drinking two Nuka-Cola Quantums.
- By loading the Lead engineer's, Facilities director's and Chief scientist's holotapes into the terminal next to the elevator near the lair's entrance, the player character can lift the lockdown and use the elevator, thus avoiding the boss fight altogether.
Behind the scenesEdit
|The following is based on unverified behind the scenes information and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
|End of information based on unverified behind the scenes information.|
- pc xboxone ps4 After completing the final quest, leaving the building may cause the game to crash. [verified]
- Fast traveling directly to another location, rather than leaving through one of the doors, may solve the issue.
- ps4 Using the cargo elevator immediately behind the original spawn point may cause robot companions to disappear, sometimes permanently. [verification overdue]
- pc There is a chance for a saved game that the Mechanist's Lair cell may become graphically glitched when facing certain directions. Textures may pop in and disappear as you angle the camera and FPS drops dramatically when looking in that direction. There is unfortunately no known fix for this issue so far. The only way to circumvent this is by starting a New Game and hope for the best. Note that this issue does not make it impossible to finish the quest but makes it really tedious. (Tested on version: 1.5.157, Automatron and Far Harbor installed) [verified]
- Location and power armor locations can appear in the incorrect location on the map when inside the Mechanists lair. This is corrected upon leaving the building. [verification needed]
- ↑ Sign at the entrance and below the Mechanist's logo in the settlement area
- ↑ RobCo sales & service center terminal entries