Infobox incomplete (exterior cell ID)
The infobox template in this article is missing some required data. You can help Nukapedia by filling it in.
The lair is located on the map slightly north of the East Boston Preparatory School. It is behind a building that is unmarked, and near a warehouse that is by a bridge, and a small wharf. A freight elevator inside the building (enter the door named "garage") will take the player directly to the underground location. Upon completion of the add-on, it is a new player character's home.
The Mechanist's lair was in part originally a RobCo sales and service center which primarily sold and maintained terminals. Employees of the service center were told specifically not to interact with any abnormal crates, or else they would be "taken to see our friends below." In a storage room for the center, a large door which requires an M-SAT to enter leads into a large underground facility that pre-war was used for the development & construction of robobrains (jointly run with General Atomics and the United States Army Robotics Division). Part of it functioned as a pseudo-prison which housed prisoners, who were later operated upon to remove their brains. After wiping their brain of memories and passing assorted tests, the brains would then be housed in a robobrain head and mounted to any of a number of devices, including the bodies of a normal robobrain, controlling stretchers, or even controlling operations inside the control center.
Sometime before the events of Automatron, Isabel Cruz discovered the facility while scavenging and took it upon herself to use it to create an army of robots to save The Commonwealth from anything which may hazard humans.
- A fusion core can be found in a generator after entering the Mechanist's lair. Left hand side before the laser grid.
- Eyebot model on top of some filing cabinets in the locked room with a skeleton hanging out the window, across from the generator.
- Perfectly preserved pie inside an Eat-o-tronic in the room with the button-operated platform & garage door.
- A Vault-Tec lunchbox is located by a skeleton at the end of the robot storage area (underneath a yellow eye protection poster). Another is located behind the generators at power substation B on a red stepladder.
- A Mr. Handy model and the lead engineer's holotape are located on a desk next to the chief engineer's terminal in the quality control area.
- Day Tripper one floor above the desk which contains the Mr. Handy model. It's on the left desk which has a dead researcher in front of it.
- Three Nuka Cola Quantums.
- One can be found in a crate after the fourth gate.
- Another can be found on the raised left side when the ramp goes down, by Jangles the Moon Monkey and a cymbal monkey playing video games.
- Another can be found in the room with the assembly lines.
- Several robot parts models are scattered around throughout the interior.
- In a locker just after the power substation A where the floor becomes flooded.
- A second model is located on a shelf behind a master locked terminal in the research wing.
- A third model is in the brain extraction area of the research labs near a terminal.
- Facilities director's holotape next to a locked (novice) ammo box by the facilities management terminal.
- Mr. Gutsy model behind the watch station terminal desk just after entering the research wing.
- Forfeiture terminal password - located behind same desk as above, gives access to the property storage lockup terminal.
- Protectron model is found in a surgical tray by a terminal in the cell observation area located above the cells.
- A Stealth Boy located at the end of the cell observation area on a box to the right of a hole in the floor.
- Chief scientist's holotape is located in the brain extraction area of the research labs near the cerebral reconditioning terminal, on a shelf under the table next to a robot parts model.
- Mechanist's armor and matching helmet can be collected at the end of Restoring Order.
- Eyebot pod schematics are on a table in the Mechanist's bedroom.
- Mechanist's log found in the Mechanist's bedroom.
- Drawing of the Mechanist found in the Mechanist's bedroom, on the table next to the bed.
- Sentry bot model found in the Mechanist's bedroom, near the bed.
- Overdue book on a small shelf near the Mechanist's bedroom.
- Mini nuke on the shelf in the room at the end of the hall across from the elevator.
- Spotlight schematics on the blue terminals in the room at the end of the hall across from the elevator.
- Medical terminal password - can be found on a quantum robobrain guarding the facilities management room.
- RB-2851 master control password - given by the Mechanist during Restoring Order or taken from her body. Shuts down the security.
- RobCo sales and service center key - Opens a door and a safe in the lair.
- Medical terminal password - On a robomed, gives access to the robobrain production terminal.
- Across from the Mechanist's bedroom is a small button on a drinks machine which opens up a hidden door at the end of the hallway. The room contains a terminal, missile launcher, missiles, locked safe and a few packets of Mentats in a drawer.
- In the security room overlooking the first decontamination corridor is an elevator that goes straight to the control room. It can be activated by shutting down the lockdown, which is done by entering the three supervisor holotapes, found in the lair, into the neighboring computer and manually overriding the lockdown.
- Despite being another interior settlement, this has significantly more customization options than Home Plate.
- In most ways it behaves more like an exterior settlement, in that settlers can be moved here, and supply lines can be established. The most notable exterior settlement options missing are food resources and stores.
- There are some patches of 'earth' on the top level in the northernmost corner, just outside the entrance to the facilities wing, where water pumps can be placed.
- This is one of the few interior locations which can be fast traveled to and from.
- The exterior door cannot be opened until the quest Restoring Order is active.
- After entering the facilities wings continue until reaching the descending grated ramp. On the left jump onto the ledge and over the pipe, one will find a Jangles the Moon Monkey and an unnamed cymbal's monkey appearing to play pong while drinking two Nuka Cola Quantum.
- By loading the Lead engineer's, Facilities director's and Chief scientist's holotapes into the terminal next to the elevator near the Lair's entrance, the player can lift the lockdown and use the elevator, thus avoiding the boss fight altogether.
Behind the scenesEdit
|The following is based on unverified behind the scenes information and has not been confirmed by canon sources.|
|End of information based on unverified behind the scenes information.|
- pc xboxone ps4 After completing the final quest, leaving the building may cause the game to crash. [verified]
- Fast traveling directly to another location, rather than leaving through one of the doors, may solve the issue.
- ps4 Using the cargo elevator immediately behind the original spawn point may cause robot companions to disappear, sometimes permanently. [verification overdue]
- pc There is a chance for a saved game that the Mechanist's Lair cell may become graphically glitched when facing certain directions. Textures may pop in and disappear as you angle the camera and FPS drops dramatically when looking in that direction. There is unfortunately no known fix for this issue so far. The only way to circumvent this is by starting a New Game and hope for the best. Note that this issue does not make it impossible to finish the quest but makes it really tedious. (Tested on version: 1.5.157, Automatron and Far Harbor installed) [verified]