Bug Verification Project
The House Always Wins I
Give Mr. House the chip... or not.
The House Always Wins I
Such a small thing, isn't it? Yet, so capatious... So very dear.”— Mr. House about the platinum chip
This is the first in a series of quests which leads to one of the many Fallout: New Vegas endings. Mr. House tasks you to retrieve the platinum chip from Benny, and use it at the Fort to upgrade the Securitrons, then bring it back to the Lucky 38 so that Mr. House can upgrade them, although it is possible to do it the other way round. You will then have to eliminate, take control of, or gain the trust of different factions so that Mr. House's plan will work. You may kill Benny along with Mr. House, to allow you and Yes Man to take over the plan.
|Main Quest: The House Always Wins I|
|Speak to Swank at the reception desk when first entering The Tops Casino.|
|Present a combination of 3 Speech checks/pieces of evidence and Swank will distract Benny to let you search his room for evidence.||Confront Benny on the Casino floor.|
|Search his room for evidence.||Kill Benny.||Use the Black Widow/Confirmed Bachelor perk to spend the night alone with him.||Go to the presidential suite with or without Benny.|
|Talk to Yes-Man and learn about the platinum chip.||Kill Benny in his sleep or leave him alone.||Survive the ambush.|
|Take the platinum chip after killing Benny. If he escaped, find him at the Fort.|
|Return to Mr. House and watch his demonstration of the Securitron Mk II OS.|
|Reward: 1000 caps (1250 with a Barter skill of 50), Lucky 38 presidential suite, 600 XP, Achievement / Trophy|
|Leads to: The House Always Wins, II|
You must retrieve the platinum chip from Benny and bring it back to Mr. House so he can upgrade his robotic army. This quest will complete upon delivery of the chip, but Part Two may need to be completed first depending on your actions. Note that the following options can be done without actually speaking to Mr. House, since it ties in with Ring-a-Ding-Ding!
Option: Speak to SwankEdit
One way to deal with Benny is by telling his right-hand man, Swank (located at the front desk), about Benny's planned rebellion. Swank is initially suspicious of your accusations, but you can convince him using one of two ways:
- Passing 3 Speech checks (15, 30, and 45 respectively)
- Presenting Swank with discarded cigarette butts (Benny's preferred brand) left by your grave in Goodsprings, the note left with Manny Vargas in Novac by Benny's bodyguards (completing the quest he offers, pickpocketing the note, or reading his terminal will allow you to obtain it), and Benny's lighter (obtained from the remaining Great Khans at Boulder City).
Once Swank is concerned you may be right, he will return your weapons to you and tell you to go up to Benny's suite to search for additional evidence. Once obtained and shown to Swank, he will help you eliminate Benny. After talking to Swank and receiving your weapons back, killing Benny will reap a positive Karma bonus and no retaliation from the remaining gamblers and bodyguards in Vegas. Doing so also completes the quest Ring-a-Ding-Ding!
Option: Speak to BennyEdit
An alternative option instead of speaking with Swank is to talk straight to Benny, who is waiting near the Presidential Suite with his personal guard. He will offer you a key to the room after taking the peaceful speech route. Benny will prefer to meet you with his bodyguards, but you can convince him through a 60 Speech check to leave them outside. Once you and Benny are in the Presidential Suite, you can:
- Kill him and take the chip. As long as you keep the fighting inside of the suite, no one outside will notice or care.
- Agree to partner up and help him take over New Vegas.
- Say you'll consider his partnership offer.
If you agree to talk in private and head to the Presidential Suite by yourself, Benny will let you know over the intercom that you have been duped. He sends up 4 guards to attack you, but with a speech check of 35 and 50 you can convince him that you will stop chasing him. In either case Benny will run off to the Fort and get captured by Caesar's Legion.
Option: Seduce BennyEdit
With the Black Widow perk, you can seduce Benny and get into his suite without any trouble. You can choose to attack him as soon as you get into his suite, or you can have sex with him and then kill him in his sleep. Either way, the quest proceeds as above. You can also have sex with him and then just fall asleep, in which case Benny will be gone in the morning and will have left you a note. Benny will then be captured by Caesar's Legion, forcing you to go to the Fort to retrieve the platinum chip.
Once you've killed or rescued Benny and obtained the chip, you can return to Mr. House and watch his Securitron demonstration in the basement. You will never come back to this location, so take what little loot is in the room while you can.
If you failed to kill Benny, then you must complete Part Two, which will complete this quest at the same time.
|1||Talk to Mr. House at the Lucky 38.|
|2||Bring the Platinum Chip to Mr. House.|
|3||Go to the basement of the Lucky 38.|
|4||Observe as Mr. House upgrades Securitrons.|
|5||Quest finished||Return to Mr. House.|
- There is an unused part called "The House Always Wins: Lockdown".
- If you refuse to hand over the platinum chip, the securitrons in the Penthouse will become hostile. This will result in the failure of the quest.
- xbox360 Sometimes when you retrieve the Platinum Chip from Benny, and are approached by the Legion emissary, you will be unable to tell your companions to return to the Lucky 38, nor will you be able to get Arcade Gannon to follow you after recruiting him for the first time. [verified]
- pc ps3 xbox360 Message indicating quest failed, despite not having started, while deep within Vault 11. May have been related to activating Lucky 38 override in H&H Hardware or at Camp Golf earlier in game while exploring. Possibly related to Still in the Dark Questline or be entirely related to Vault 11.Confirmed on PC, Xbox and PS3. Update: The 8 turrets down in the bottom level of Vault 11 are of the Lucky 38 Faction. Killing them may be why you are failing this quest. Simply let your companions take out the turrets and you should be fine. [verified]
- If you want to reset failed (grayed out) quest do the following: Open console and type setally 001267ab 0001b2a4 resetquest 00147885* setstage 00147885 5* setobjectivedisplayed 00147885 5 1* prid 001264c5 setdestroyed 0.
- Note: Depending on at which part the long quest "The House Always Wins" failed, you have to enter different resetquest, setstage and setobjectivedisplay QuestIDs and StageIndexs. For example, to reset "The House always Wins, II", where Mr. House orders you to enter the Secret Bunker at Fortification Hill, you would have to enter resetquest 00147886 setstage 00147886 30 setobjectivedisplayed 00147886 30 1. See Fallout:New Vegas Quest IDs for a complete list of Quest IDs & StageIndexs and SetStage Info at TES: Construction Set Wiki for further details on the setstage command.
- pc If you kill Benny, take the chip, and/or speak with Yes-Man before meeting with House (and thus prior to starting The House Always Wins, I), once you bring the chip to House, two bugs may occur: [verified]
- First, you may be able to use Barter to increase the payment to 1,250, but House will still only give you 1,000.
- Second, House will teleport you to the basement to observe the upgrade, but once there, the quest freezes. You can walk to the waypoint marker on the observation platform but the quest will not update and since you can't interact with the elevator, you'll be trapped. This may also happen for another unknown reason.
- xbox360 If you recover the chip from the fort, particularly if the Legion is hostile, then return it to Mr. House without unlocking the bunker and upgrading the Securitrons first, the chip may disappear from your inventory, making this story branch and Wild Card unwinnable. [verification needed]