Fallout 3 locations project
The player enters The Hole after starting the second half of the quest Unsafe Working Conditions. The fights are organized into three rounds where the Lone Wanderer must battle against up to three combatants. As soon as a fight begins, radioactive barrels are dropped into the arena. They act as obstacles, but more importantly, give off high amounts of radiation. The player must defeat his or her opponents and exit the arena before dying of radiation poisoning.
The rules are simple: the player is allowed to bring any weapons and items he or she has for the fight, and may not leave until defeating the opposing combatants or dying of radiation poisoning. Faydra tells the player that he or she may take whatever they want from a nearby locker. The items are very low-end: a low-caliber pistol and some common Melee Weapons.
At the end of each fight, Faydra will cleanse the Lone Wanderer of all of his or her radiation. Note that she will not heal the player; the player must find another way to restore HP. However, there is a convenient water fountain next to Faydra that can be used to restore HP. Although the fountain is irradiated, the radiation from the water is insignificant compared to the high radiation levels received from fighting in The Hole itself. Also, this fountain only gives 1 rad after fights. Once you're done fighting in the arena, the fountain will give 3 rads.
These are not honorable fights: the player may loot bodies as he or she pleases. After completing the fights, you are freed from your "slavery", and can grab your equipment from a footlocker outside The Hole.
The player faces two to three unnamed slaves armed with a variety of weapons. Generally, one slave will have a combat shotgun, which can be deadly to a character who has not got much in the way of armor. The other slave or slaves normally have Chinese assault rifles.
- Grudd wields a flamer and wears raider iconoclast armor.
- John wields a deathclaw gauntlet and frag grenades and wears Gamma shield armor.
The Bear Brothers' armor is in exceptionally good condition (more than 90%), giving them significantly better than normal protection.
The final round has the player fight against Gruber. He has Gamma shield armor and a metal helmet, as well as an Infiltrator. He has a large amount of HP; combined with his heavy armor, this allows him to take quite a lot of punishment before dying.
Like the Bear Brothers, Gruber's armor is in exceptionally good condition (more than 90%), giving him significantly better than normal protection. The armor-piercing deathclaw gauntlet recently acquired from the Bear Brothers can be extremely helpful against him for high Unarmed skilled players, especially if they have the Paralyzing Palm perk.
- Gruber had actually fought through The Hole before, but was so bloodthirsty he continued to fight.
- Raiders say if fights in The Hole are dull or the slaves refuse to fight they shoot into the cage to "liven things up".
- Taking Rad-X will make the fights significantly easier. The player can dispatch the enemies while taking little radiation. There are two bottles of Rad-X on the medical table in the room with Faydra. Faydra will also remove your radiation between rounds.
- The raiders will comment on your Karma and SPECIAL stats in float dialogue when you complete the Hole.
- It is advised for the player to retrieve all of their previous belongings from the footlocker after finishing all arena matches. The footlocker is located on the ground immediately behind Faydra upon exiting the Hole.
- The crowd cheers louder when you hit arena combatants, even after they are dead.
- You can not start fighting until the barrels drop and the gate opens. The gate remains locked until the barrels drop.
The Hole appears only in the Fallout 3 add-on The Pitt.