| ||This page is about the quest. For the location, see Tenpenny Tower.|
Come on Al, cut the ghoulies a break. If they've got the caps and you've got the space, it's a win-win, right? So what do you say?”— Three Dog
Before doing this questEdit
This quest complicates the quest Manhandled Manservant, so refer to the page "Manhandled Manservant" if you are interested in obtaining the loot found in Herbert 'Daring' Dashwood's safe, including the schematics for the bottle cap mine. You may also want to first collect a few skill books and the schematics for the dart gun (see below), as they are duplicated if you help the ghouls take Tenpenny Tower by force.
|Side Quest: Tenpenny Tower|
|Witness argument between Roy Phillips and Gustavo at Tenpenny Tower.|
|Agree to help Chief Gustavo get rid of Roy.|
|Reward: Assault rifle||Reward: Chinese assault rifle|
|Seek out Roy Phillips in Warrington station.|
|Kill Roy and the other ghouls.||Agree to help Roy into Tenpenny Tower.|
|Report to Gustavo.||Kill everyone in the Tower.||Find the key to the Tower's generator room.||Speak to Allistair Tenpenny about letting them in.|
|Reward: 500-700 bottle caps and 300 XP||Return to Roy.||Let the ghouls into the Tower to kill everyone.||Convince the tenants to let the ghouls in, or kill them.|
|Reward: Ghoul mask and 300 XP|
The ghouls want to live in the luxurious Tenpenny Tower, but neither Allistair Tenpenny nor the other residents are willing to let them in. You can choose to kill the band of ghouls, let them into the tower, or find an uneasy diplomatic solution. Note that the decisions you make in this quest can have permanent and major effects on the fate of a major city and obtaining some of the most useful items in the game.
Starting the questEdit
The quest is started either by speaking with Chief Gustavo at Tenpenny Tower or by Roy Phillips in the Warrington Tunnels.
If you start with Chief Gustavo, you'll get an assault rifle and a promise of 500 caps for the death of Roy Phillips and his "gang". A successful speech check will raise your reward to 700 Caps, as well as upgrade your starting gun to a Chinese assault rifle with some 5.56mm rounds. Attempting and failing the speech test means you will get a 10mm SMG instead.
Gustavo will direct you to the feral ghoul infested Warrington Tunnels southwest of Tenpenny Tower. Follow the tunnels and you'll find a door leading to Roy Phillips' hideout. Once you find Roy and his gang, you can choose to kill the ghouls, or say to Roy that you will help him and his ghouls enter Tenpenny Tower through the secret underground entrance to massacre the residents of Tenpenny Tower, or find a peaceful way for the ghouls and humans to live together in Tenpenny Tower. One way the ghouls will take over and occupy Tenpenny Tower, and the other way the ghouls will be dead and the humans will continue living in Tenpenny Tower.
This quest will also be automatically added if you kill every resident of Tenpenny Tower. The quest will jump straight to the stage where you "Tell Roy Phillips the ghouls can move in."
Kill Roy PhillipsEdit
After you kill Roy and his gang, return to Chief Gustavo and he will reward you with 500 or 700 caps, depending on whether you passed the speech check. You will not gain the ghoul mask if you chose this method.
Killing Roy Phillips has the upside of sparing the lives of all the residents in Tenpenny Tower, as all the other solutions eventually result in the death of every human in Tenpenny Tower (killed either by you or by Roy Phillips and his pack of feral ghouls). Killing Roy will result in having multiple traders in the tower compared to just two if you allow him in.
Ways to kill Roy Phillips and his gangEdit
Simply kill Roy Phillips and any other non-feral ghouls within his hideout (for negative Karma).
You may choose to kill Roy Phillips during the conversation he has with the intercom when you first approach Tenpenny Tower. Simply allow the conversation to finish and then attack him when he leaves, or reverse pickpocket a mine or grenade into his inventory while he isn't looking. You will still have to talk to Gustavo to initiate the quest and kill Roy and his gang.
Without losing KarmaEdit
If you want to kill the ghouls without losing Karma, you can allow the feral ghouls to follow you into the room containing Roy Phillips and Bessie Lynn. Roy, Bessie and Michael Masters will attack you even if you haven't harmed the ferals. If you then kill them your Karma will not suffer, but Three Dog will still verbally berate you afterward.
You can provoke Roy Phillips, Bessie Lynn or Michael Masters into attacking you via dialogue choices, and then kill them without losing Karma.
Roy Phillips and his gang can be killed without losing Karma if you have the Mister Sandman perk. To do this, first wait for the three ghouls to go to sleep. Murder Bessie Lynn first, she will scream but this will not wake Roy Phillips or Michael Masters. Either Roy or Michael can be killed next (preferably Roy because he is closer to Bessie Lynn). After you do that, the third ghoul will wake up and turn hostile, so you will then be able to pick him off without incurring loss of Karma.
Helping the ghouls move into Tenpenny TowerEdit
Talk to Roy Phillips about the possibility of a peaceful negotiation, then bring the proposal to Allistair Tenpenny. He will tell you that if you can convince tenants Edgar Wellington II, Millicent Wellington, Anthony Ling, Lydia Montenegro and Susan Lancaster to have the ghouls as neighbors, he'll let them move in. You can also get rid of them by murder to accomplish this task.
There are several methods of getting the five residents to cooperate. The first is passing a speech check (for positive Karma), which forces them to accept the change or leave. Stealthy assassinations (for negative Karma, Mister Sandman perk can be useful here) also work. Alternatively, you can take the Love Letter from Susan Lancaster's desk and show it to Millicent Wellington, she will then proceed to murder both her husband Edgar and his lover Susan. Millicent will then leave the tower, leaving only Anthony and Lydia. These two can be convinced to leave by stealing from their store safes and speaking to them after doing so.
Once all required tenants are convinced or otherwise removed from the picture, visit Alistair Tenpenny for a 500 cap reward. Once you bring Roy Phillips the news, he will reward you with a ghoul mask, which makes you friendly with feral ghouls. You will also gain a 300 XP reward.
Upon returning to Tenpenny Tower, you will find human and ghoul residents living together. Inquiring among residents will indicate that both sides are getting along well. A few days later, however, all the human residents will be gone. Further investigation reveals that the human and ghoul tenants had a "disagreement", and that Roy Phillips decided to "take out the trash". The human residents have all been slaughtered, and their looted and stripped bodies dumped in the basement. Former residents of Tenpenny Tower such as Mr. Ling and Ms. Montenegro will also die and disappear at this point, even if they have moved to the entrance of Megaton. You may choose to kill Phillips and the other ghouls in Tenpenny Tower after learning this, but doing so will yet earn negative Karma.
It is also possible to help the ghouls enter the tower by obtaining the key to the generator room from either Herbert "Daring" Dashwood or Chief Gustavo. To obtain the key, you can either pickpocket or kill Chief Gustavo, and may either pickpocket, kill, or choose certain dialogue options with Dashwood, including, 'I don't have time for games'. The door to the generator room is on the exterior of Tenpenny Tower around the back.
If you kill all the humans in Tenpenny Tower then you can tell Roy that he and his ghouls can move in. If you do this, remember that Lydia Montenegro has the key to Le Chic Boutique. Chief Gustavo has the key to the Tenpenny Tower armament, Anthony Ling has the key to New Urban Apparel, Shakes has the key to the liquor cabinet, Dr. Banfield has the key to the medicine cabinet, and Herbert Dashwood has the key to his safe. In sum, you'll obtain Schematics - bottlecap mine (from Dashwood's safe), Schematics - dart gun (from Le Chic Boutique inventory), and a bunch of other stuff like caps, medicine, Tenpenny's sniper rifle, some weapons and ammunition from the armament, a bunch of armor and assault rifles from the guards, etc.
To receive two copies of the dart gun schematics, first buy it from Lydia Montenegro or kill her and use her key to raid the Le Chic Boutique inventory. Then after letting the ghouls take over the tower, buy it from or kill and loot Michael Masters.
|10||Kill Roy Phillips and his followers.|
|11||Kill Roy Phillips and his followers, or Help the Ghouls get into Tenpenny Tower.|
|20||Report back to Chief Gustavo.|
|100||Help the Ghouls get into Tenpenny Tower.|
|101||Help the Ghouls get into Tenpenny Tower, or Kill Roy Phillips and his followers.|
|120||Quest finished||Tell Roy Phillips the Ghouls can move in.|
- If you decide to enslave Susan Lancaster and kill all of the tower residents by yourself (after Roy initiates the quest by asking you to find the key to the back door), you must receive your reward for Susan BEFORE speaking to Roy (after the killings). If you speak to Roy while Susan is "in-transit," he will thank you for helping them get in to the tower but you will not receive his mask or any quest related XP/Karma, and the quest cannot ever be finished.
- If forced out through dialogue, the Tenpenny Residents may be found wandering the wastes or loitering around city entrances with no conversation possible.
- If Allistair Tenpenny is dead, it is still possible to convince the others. However, since Gustavo has taken his place and cannot be convinced, you must kill Gustavo for this to work. Doing so will award positive Karma and a finger to those who've taken the Lawbringer perk. Note that any security guards in sight will turn hostile if you attack him, but not those in other areas.
- If you wish to kill Allistair Tenpenny for any reason (such as obtaining his unique suit, the Karma granted for killing him, or for the You Gotta Shoot 'Em in the Head quest), but don't want to deal with Gustavo replacing him, the period between when Tenpenny gives you permission to have the ghouls move in and when you tell Roy that he did so is your only window to kill him, so be careful not to miss the opportunity.
- Talking to the residents about ghoul neighbors before Tenpenny may break the quest.
- If you turn Ms. Lancaster into the slavers and then rescue her back, she will not have all her dialog options, forcing you to kill her to convince Tenpenny.
- If you first ask Roy Phillips and Michael Masters about the missing human tenants, then see the bodies in the storage room, and then ask them about the killing, it is possible to kill Roy without incurring any negative Karma. After killing Roy, Michael Masters will turn hostile, it is also possible to kill him without incurring negative Karma. This works some of the time and is more likely if they are killed quickly with few shots (tested on PC GOTY).
- Sometimes after letting the ghouls move in and then killing all ghoul residents inside, you may face a later encounter where you find the dead bodies of two ghouls in business wear and two wastelanders marked "Tenpenny Survivors" who apparently have killed them. One of these survivors claims that they might move into a new residence in a nearby building or the RobCo facility, although it is unknown whether this happens.
- If you let the ghouls break in by force or the diplomatic way after all humans are dead and you agree to blow up Megaton, Mister Burke, and Roy Phillips will have a conversation.
- You can only enter your suite from the balcony entrance during the feral ghoul invasion. Upon exiting the suite the feral ghoul invasion will end.
- If you don't mind or instead want the negative Karma then feel free to kill all the humans in Tenpenny Tower for a good bit of loot and easy XP, before letting the ghouls in (who would then kill the humans therein anyways).
- If you killed Tenpenny previously in "Gotta Shoot 'Em in the Head," it doesn't affect your ability to talk the residents into letting the ghouls move in. They'll all still agree to pass the message on to Tenpenny, and Chief Gustavo continues to talk about Tenpenny as if he were still alive.
- If Tenpenny is alive and the "Gotta Shoot 'Em in the Head" quest is still ongoing, you will receive a notification that you need to tell Mister Crowley that Allistair Tenpenny is dead when you exit Warrington station (the ghouls will appear with you if you accompanied them, then disappear at which point this notification is given). If you enter the tower and go to Tenpenny's suite, there are suspicious dark stains on a wall as well as streaks on the floor leading to the bathtub. The tub will be similarly stained. Asking Roy Phillips about Tenpenny's fate causes him to explain that the two of them had a disagreement, and Tenpenny had an "accident" soon after.
- pc ps3 xbox360 After you've let the ghouls move in using the "diplomatic method" and Roy killed the human residents, if the bug happens where there is no human body present and there is just a lot of blood stains, sometimes a feral ghoul would appear and attack you on sight unless wearing the ghoul mask when entering. [verified]This is probably caused by openning the containment door *after* peaceful resolution has been sought of.
- xbox360 ps3 After letting the ghouls invade, sometimes it will permanently lock you out of your room that you might have acquired after blowing up Megaton. This can occur if you have opened the emergency gate in the Metro Access without initiating the quest. One possible solution is to kill all of the Feral Ghouls in Tenpenny Tower (and all sublocations), and wait at least 24 hours.[verified]
- xbox360 After killing Roy and his companions, head through the door in the back of Roy's room that's labeled "Metro Access & Generator." Walk into the room, and shoot a missile at the wall where the door generator is on the other side. Doing so may cause your Xbox to lock up entirely, requiring restart. [verified]
- pc ps3 xbox360 The quest script that moves the ghouls into Tenpenny Tower will not check whether Roy is still alive before moving their bodies into the basement. So if Roy is killed before the human tenants are disposed of, he will still somehow manage to murder them. [verified]
- pc xbox360 Sometimes after letting the feral ghouls into Tenpenny Tower the assault on the Towers residents will never end. If Susan Lancaster was sent to the slave pens, attempt to kill her in her pen then return to the tower and personally scour each level to ensure all residents are dead. After confirming this, talk to Roy and if he thanks you for your part in the siege, leave the tower, wait 24 hours and return and the tower should be functional again. An alternative solution to this bug is to kill all the ghouls yourself. Roy will not attack the player if he attacks the ghouls. After Michael Masters and Bessie Lynn arrive at the tower wait 24 hours and the tower should be functional. [verified]
- xbox360 Killing Roy Phillips will complete the quest, but if you fail to kill all three, the remaining ghouls will move into Tenpenny and will still mention Roy Phillips, as if he were alive. [verified]
- xbox360 The game has been known to lock-up after killing all of the ghouls and residents from Tenpenny Tower; if the player attempts to load the Tenpenny Tower lobby via elevator and front door. [verified]
- xbox360 If you tell Roy that you'll let the ghouls in and then kill him and his friends, GNR may report that you've let them kill everyone in Tenpenny Tower, despite this never happening. [verified]
- xbox360 Sometimes, upon re-entering Tenpenny Tower (after convincing Tenpenny to allow the ghouls to live in the tower), all levels of the building will be completely devoid of all life. To solve this, reload a save. [verified]
- xbox360 After allowing the ghouls to move in, the standard 'Tenpenny resident' ghouls will sometimes refer to Chief Gustavo, even if you have killed him or the human residents moved out. [verified]
- pc If the "kill the ghouls" option is followed, the Tenpenny residents may occasionally give the player speech options indicating that the player had instead brokered the deal to let the ghouls move in. When starting conversations repeatedly, they may first greet you correctly (praising you for killing the ghouls), then incorrectly (as if you had let the ghouls in peacefully), then give you a generic greeting for all subsequent chats. [verified]
- pc Giving the love letter to Millicent Wellington while she is sitting and eating with Edgar will still cause her to stand up and acquire the 10mm pistol, but she will not shoot Edgar while he is eating. Even after he finishes eating and stands up, Millicent just stands there and will not talk to you again. [verified]
- ps3 xbox360 If you help the ghouls get into Tenpenny Tower by force, Lydia's and Antony's safes are hard difficulty to pick, however if you access it by using the terminals, and successfully disengage the locks, it will still say it is locked with hard difficulty but will allow you to open them. [verified]
- pc If you complete the quest by convincing Tenpenny to let the ghouls live in the Tower, and then proceed to blow Tenpenny's head off (as for the quest "Shoot 'em in the Head"), BEFORE telling Roy that he can move into the Tower, will result in Three Dog reporting that you allowed the ghouls to slaughter all the residents; despite this never happening. Ironically, Three Dog will tend to praise you and then insult you as if you were able to complete the quest both ways. [verified]
- pc If you convince Tenpenny to let the ghouls live in the tower and going to Roy with the good news and killing Roy and his friend but still allowing the ghouls to live in the tower, everyone will be slain in the tower, when asking the sole survivor what happened, she will say "Roy did it," regardless if Roy Phillips has been killed. [verified]
- pc If you take the short path (via Metro&Generator Access Door) AFTER killing Roy Philips and manage to pass somehow through "Containment Door" (lockpick skill 100 or blow the electric generator that keeps the door shut with a grenade), when entering Tenpenny Tower, a nice pack of feral ghouls will be there attacking the residents. [verified]
- xbox360 If you enslave any of the Tenpenny security guards, then choose to unleash the feral ghouls on Tenpenny Tower, the tower will be stuck in the attack mode forever. The game tries to check if the security guards are dead; however, as they have left the game world, they are never counted as dead. The only solution is to load a save from before enslaving them, or to finish the quest peacefully instead. [verified]
- xbox360 If you kill Chief Gustavo, and then kill Roy Philips, the quest will be stuck with the objective "Report back to Chief Gustavo". The Quest marker will still appear pointing towards the tenpenny tower. [verified]