Fallout 3 locations project
| ||This page is about the location. For the quest, see Tenpenny Tower (quest).|
Tenpenny Tower is a private hotel rearranged from an intact pre-War luxury hotel located southwest of Megaton. It's now the refuge of the reclusive Allistair Tenpenny who allows people in for the "right price." However, he is prejudiced against ghouls and will not let them enter, even if they can afford it.
Before the Great War, the tower was a luxury hotel. After the war, the building was still intact. Upon the discovery of the abandoned building, Allistair Tenpenny set to work restoring it to its near pre-War glory. This suggests that he had substantial amounts of money even before his arrival from England, but it is unclear how he made his fortunes (although his character suggests possible shady business in the past). The Tenpenny Tower building even has radiation-free water in the luxury apartments, making it one of the few pre-War structures in the Capital Wasteland to have pure water.
The structure itself is surrounded by tall concrete walls, which creates a compound of sorts. Around the rear of the building is the entrance to the generator room, which is used in the quest Tenpenny Tower. There is also a covered area to the right of the main gate which serves as the guard's quarters. The building did not completely escape damage from the bombs and was repaired with scrap metal in the areas of the hotel that took the most damage.
Of important note is that the wall can be jumped over to get inside. This is particularly useful if the player does not want to pay the entrance bribe and has not attached the fusion pulse charge to the bomb in Megaton. To get inside, go to the west side of the wall and look for a relatively large crop of rocks. There will be a portion of the wall missing there, and it will be lying on the ground against the rest of the barrier. Jump on top of the broken piece and then through the gap.
Should the player choose to enter through the wall without ever coming through the actual gate, the gate can be opened from the inside by interacting with the speaker near the guard posted there.
Entering the building, you find yourself in the lobby, which contains stairs to the third-floor apartments, an elevator to the penthouse, and is home to a variety of businesses, including:
- Boutique Le Chic
- Café Beau Monde
- Federalist Lounge
- Gustavo's Armory
- New Urban Apparel
- Clinic and wellness center
The player's suite shares a balcony with Allistair Tenpenny's and Mr. Tenpenny can sometimes be found there, hunting with his sniper rifle.
While it is possible to steal from the safes and cash boxes of the store owners, doing so causes the store owners to complain about security and leave, meaning you can no longer shop from them. However, you can follow them outside Tenpenny Tower and kill them for their inventory keys without making the other residents hostile.
- Allistair Tenpenny
- Anthony Ling
- Edgar Wellington II
- Herbert 'Daring' Dashwood
- Irving Cheng
- Julius Banfield
- Lydia Montenegro
- Margaret Primrose
- Michael Hawthorne
- Millicent Wellington
- Susan Lancaster
- Tenpenny residents
- Tiffany Cheng
- Security guards (un-named)
- Tenpenny residents (generic un-named NPCs)
- Tales of a Junktown Jerky Vendor on a desk in Susan Lancaster's room (northeast corner of the third floor).
- Lying, Congressional Style on top of a desk in Allistair Tenpenny's bedroom.
- In Herbert Dashwood's safe, there is a mini nuke and schematics - bottlecap mine.
- Schematics - dart gun - you can get 2 sets of these schematics here. The dart gun schematics can be purchased from both Lydia Montenegro and Michael Masters in the Boutique Le Chic. You can purchase them before you complete the Tenpenny Tower quest from Lydia, and then again from Michael if you convince the residents to let the ghouls into Tenpenny Tower, or help them break in. You must buy them from Lydia before this.
- Duck and Cover! can be found to the west of the tower, towards Warrington Trainyard, in a completely destroyed house. Inside the remains of the structure there is a waist-high bookshelf, the book is on the second shelf among some other items.
- A suite becomes available to the Lone Wanderer if he/she assists Mister Burke in detonating the atomic bomb at the center of Megaton during the side quest The Power of the Atom.
- The toilets and sinks on the top floor have no radiation effects on the player.
- There is an area along the west side of Tenpenny Tower where you can jump over the wall. You can talk to Gustavo as though he had let you inside, and take the Tenpenny Tower quest.
- If you are on You Gotta Shoot 'Em in the Head and you successfully negotiate allowing ghouls to live in Tenpenny Tower alongside humans, immediately after confirming the deal with Alistair Tenpenny, You Gotta Shoot 'Em in the Head will update with the quest step to inform Crowley that Tenpenny is dead.
- If you return to Tenpenny Tower some time after completing the quest "Tenpenny Tower" in favor of the ghouls, you will notice that all the occupants are now ghouls. When you question Roy and his people about this, you will find out that they killed all of the human tenants because of a "misunderstanding". Roy additionally claims that they all had it coming and that no one is innocent in the wasteland. Michael Masters also tells the player to ignore the smell coming from the basement. In the basement the player will find a feral ghoul amongst the dead bodies of the former residents, robbed of their clothing and possessions.
- If you side with Roy Phillips in the Tenpenny Tower quest the tower becomes the second ghoul-only settlement in the Capital Wasteland, the other being Underworld.
- Following Roy into Tenpenny Tower after equipping the ghoul mask will allow the player to see the wrecked version of the tower as well as feral ghouls attacking the humans. While this is happening you can take items such as food, alcohol, clothing etc. from the stores with no karma loss. Only the safes and cash registers will be red. The skill books mentioned above respawn, meaning you can take them again.
- After completing Broken Steel, raiders outside Tenpenny Tower will try to ambush BoS soldiers transporting water (one has a Gatling laser). They will respawn every 3 days giving a good supply of BoS equipment.
- Mr Burke will live at Tenpenny Tower even after the ghouls move in.
- If you ask for the gate to the building to be opened through the intercom and then fast travel, it might stay open, eliminating the need to open the gate every time you go there.Also, even if you do let the ghouls move in and speak to the intercom for the gate to open, a Tenpenny guard will still answer the intercom, even though there is nobody there to answer it.
- It is possible to fast travel from the Balcony area.
- Although he is a self-proclaimed friend to ghouls, and seeming non-hostile, and good-natured, Herbert Dashwood will still be killed upon letting the ghouls live at Tenpenny Tower.
- There is a protectron named Shakes who can sell you liquor and by killing him he will have shakes liquor cabinet key were you can have access to many drinks.
- It is possible to kill Tenpenny while on the ground by just finding the balcony and scoping in on him with a sniper rifle.
Behind the scenes
- According to an interview in 1UP magazine Emil Pagliarulo confirmed that Tenpenny Tower was slightly inspired by Fiddler's Green, the skyscraper in George Romero's Land of the Dead.
- xbox360 On rare occasions if you go onto the back of the balcony and aim at the door, you will see a gray, green and white flashing, mainly caused by a glitch in the game's coding.
- xbox360 It is possible to get the front gate of Tenpenny Tower to remain open indefinitely by fast-traveling away while it's in the process of opening. This helps save a few seconds on subsequent visits to the location. However you must be quick about it.
- xbox360 If you mezz and collar the main gate guard, he will no longer open the door and the game will freeze. This will also occur if the guard is killed on his way to Paradise Falls.
- ps3 xbox360 There is a rare glitch that is nearly identical to the one found in Shalebridge that makes the game freeze/crash when an attempt is made to enter Tenpenny Tower Lobby, resulting in being permanently cut-off from your suite and anything else in the tower.
- xbox360 When exiting your Tenpenny Tower suite onto the balcony, the player may drop dead after a short (2-3 Minutes) wait.(unconfirmed)
- ps3 If Fawkes is following you when entering the Generator Room from the lobby, he will not appear beside you as you spawn on the other side but instead will spawn in the room beyond the locked door at the bottom of the stairs where the feral ghouls wait after you unlock the exterior basement door outside Tenpenny Tower. When you descend the stairs he will slowly slide through the door to join you. If you have already entered the basement using the key but did not yet unlock the door for the feral ghouls, you can use this glitch to have Fawkes spawn in the room where he will attack the feral ghouls. This has no effect on the outcome of the Tenpenny Tower quest as the tower will still be overrun by feral ghouls after unlocking the door.
- xbox360 Residents in Tenpenny Tower will not spawn and may not reappear after days or may never reappear.
- ps3 If the player has the Tennpeny Tower Quest, and kills all the residents of Tennpeny tower, and then goes through the outside entrance to the Metro access and Generator in Tennpeny Tower, the player can talk to Roy Phillips through the wall. However, it is not possible to enter through that area. If the player tells Roy Phillips that all the residents are killed, and leaves the Metro access and Generator, you find him standing at the doors to Tenpenny Tower. The player can talk to him, however Roy Phillips will not give the player the ghoul mask, as promised in the deal. If the player tries to go inside Tenpenny Tower again, he will be attacked by a feral ghoul near the entrance. This makes all the ghouls attack you, including Roy Phillips. Also, Roy Philips will not have the mask on his body if killed.
- ps3 Although rare, Roy Phillips may become hostile to the The Lone Wanderer at any time during the Tenpenny Tower quest for no apparent reason.