Tend to Your Business
Kill the Van Graffs
|Side Quest: Tend To Your Business|
|Travel to Freeside.|
|Enter the Silver Rush.|
|Eliminate the Van Graffs.|
|Talk to Head Paladin Hardin.|
|Reward: Membership in the Brotherhood of Steel|
T-45d power armor
After Elder McNamara is ousted and Head Paladin Hardin becomes the new Elder, you are given the opportunity to join the Brotherhood of Steel through a heroic act. Hardin already has a task in mind; to wipe out the Van Graffs as a show of loyalty to the Brotherhood.
Methods of MadnessEdit
Due to well-equipped guards, and a mandatory pat-down upon entering the Silver Rush (the Van Graff base of operations) killing all of the Van Graffs can be a difficult task. However there are multiple ways to kill them easily.
- Eliminate Simon the door guard, and the player can enter the Silver Rush without surrendering their weapons. The close quarters of the building, however, let the Van Graff thugs turn the player into goo with their plasma rifle quite easily.
- The player can enter the Silver Rush, steal or buy a weapon, and attack the Van Graffs. The same downsides as above apply.
- The player can attack Simon; the door guard, or the Silver Rush crier and wait. Van Graff thugs, 5 in total, and Jean-Baptiste Cutting will exit the Silver Rush and attack the player. Despite being in the open, the Van Graff thugs can still cut the player down quite easily with accurate plasma fire, and the fight is difficult.
- The easiest method by far, is to begin Birds of a Feather by speaking to Gloria Van Graff, and asking for work. The player is assigned to door guard duty, and must control who is let in and who is not. After handling the first 3 customers however they please, the player is approached by a "gambler" in a roving trader outfit, claiming to want to replace their revolver. The "gambler" is actually a man planning to detonate the C-4 in his jacket inside of the Silver Rush in a bid for revenge against the Van Graffs. If the gambler is let in without any fuss, he will detonate the C-4, killing everyone inside of the Silver Rush, and destroying nearly all of the merchandise (the main downside). The player can then simply kill Simon and be done with the Van Graff corpses inside.
After eliminating the inhabitants of the Silver Rush, return to the Hidden Valley Bunker. Once there, inform Hardin that you have completed his task, and he will reward you with full membership into the Brotherhood of Steel, rewarding the player with a suit of T-45d power armor and a T-45d power helmet (a formal ceremony would apparently be inappropriate). In addition, the player receives the Power Armor Training perk, if they do not have it yet.
- This quest is the alternative to Eyesight to the Blind, which is McNamara's loyalty quest. You can only do the quest specific to the Elder you chose to support, which is decided once Still in the Dark is completed.
- If you have completed Eyesight to the Blind, this quest isn't marked as failed unless you later destroy the Brotherhood of Steel.
- This quest can also parallel with Cass' Heartache by the Number quest, which could involve the elimination of the Van Graffs, if you've taken violent path.