According to some old botany texts we found, this appears to be genetic-hybrid combination of a now extinct Solanum tuberosum plant called a "potato" and another extinct Solanum lycopersicum plant called a "tomato". The outside looks like a tomato, but the inside is brown. Tastes absolutely disgusting as it looks, but the starch will keep you from starving.”— Senior Scribe Neriah, Botany terminal - The Prydwen
The player character can plant and harvest tatos at settlements to provide a food source for settlers.
- Several tato plants can be found at Tenpines Bluff.
- Tato plants can also be found at Abernathy farm which is closest to Sanctuary Hills so you have an easy time growing food from the start. Abernathy Farm is just south south-west of Red Rocket truck stop.
- Tato plants are in abundance, ready to be harvested in the back of Diamond City, where the crops are and the harvesters work.
- They can also be found in multiple rows, along with a plethora of other crops, at the Graygarden settlement.
- 23 tato plants can be found at Warwick homestead.
- Tatos are excellent for making caps because of their planting size and value. A tato is worth 5 caps for a character with 10 charisma and wearing charisma boosting clothes and using chems increases its value. A tato farm with 150+ tatos close together in neat rows will allow for quick harvesting and the crop regrows quickly. Fast traveling from one end of the map to the other twice or so will allow the crops to regrow and can be harvested repeatedly and quickly.
- pc xboxone Sometimes if a tato plant is destroyed it is unable to be repaired. It will consume a tato though it won't be repaired regardless of how many tatos you use to repair it. Console commands like "disable" and "markfordelete" would only make the plant invisible. The info about the invisible plant will still appear in workshop mode.[verified]
- pcUse console to fix broken plant, by selecting the plant. Then use command: "setdestroyed 0" to fix it.