Hey guys, do you notice the gun stock to the left of his head? What gun is he using? It looks a like the Sniper Rifle! TheRedShepard 03:27, February 10, 2010 (UTC)
- Zoomed in, it looks an awful lot like the stock of the Military assault rifle. Sorry. Nitty Tok. 03:33, February 10, 2010 (UTC)
- think you might be a bit wrong there Nitty, stock like something else completely looks more like the XL70E3 but not quite around that sort of shape Mr Habberdasher 18:21, March 17, 2010 (UTC)
- Doubtful. But possible. Although Raul from Navarro spoke in third person. ("Raul's going to kick your ass, chico! Get away from Raul's 'bird!") Nitty Tok. 15:17, February
13, 2010 (UTC)
Im guesssing that Raul from FO2 got turned into a ghoul. TheRedShepard 18:23, March 2, 2010 (UTC)
The ghouls look way better compared to fallout 3 and its probably a sniper on his back.Mary roc 20:45, March 21, 2010 (UTC)
The name on his suit says "Miguel" How do we know that his name is Raul? -Stewie1897 He tells you his name is Raul --Pyrosine 16:48, October 25, 2010 (UTC)
Not the same guy Edit
It's confirmed, he's not the same guy from Fallout 2; no mention of the Enclave is made in his background bio. --Kris 19:49, September 15, 2010 (UTC)
- Not to mention that Raul Tejada has been a ghoul since the bombs fell and the Enclave mechanic wasn't a ghoul.--Anticitizen101 17:05, October 29, 2010 (UTC)
"By completing a side quest for Raul, he will upgrade his armor to the Vaquero outfit." Edit
What is this side quest? I have Raul following me around currently and I would really like to get him this outfit but I can find no information on any quest and no information anywhere about it besides this one line..
Anyone figured this out yet?
This has already happened a few times and it's really annoying. I give Raul a unique weapon like Dinner Bell and some others because i can't carry them all, and suddenly he drops the weapons without telling me, when i don't notice until it's too late i have to go back to ALL locations to try to find the weapons it took so much effort to acquire. He only drops the weapons, not the armor nor the ammo. Is there any solution to this? Anyone else having this problem'? I noticed he's not the only one having dropped my weapons. (22.214.171.124 10:07, July 14, 2011 (UTC))
I had this problem. I gave Raul the Mysterious Magnum, and he dropped it at some point. His inventory is completly empty, but he has 23 WG, so I don't know. Raul seems to be an unreliable pack mule. SilencedSouls 23:24, November 19, 2011 (UTC)
Messed up quest?Edit
I was doing Raul's unmarked quest "Old School Ghoul", where I have to talk to Ranger Andy, Corporal Sterling, and Loyal. I talked to Andy, then Sterling, then Loyal. Raul spoke to me after Sterling and Loyal, but not after Andy. I think I may have done this out of order, needing to speak to Andy last. My question is: Did I screw up the quest? Am I doing something wrong? Can I still get Raul to wear his Vaquero outfit? Or is it lost? Can someone help me?--With care and happiness, Supermutantslayer450' YOU. LOSE. 04:52, October 25, 2010 (UTC)
I have this problem also --Pyrosine 16:47, October 25, 2010 (UTC)
i also suffer from this problemDantheman67 01:22, October 27, 2010 (UTC)
same here on pc
I'm also having this problem, except I talked to Andy before I talked to the other two, but after I had already gotten the Ranger Takedown perk. I wonder if I should have taken Raul to Andy before I got the perk. --Anonymous Courier
I also did this before, though cant be sure on the effect --Pyrosine 10:56, October 27, 2010 (UTC)
Also here on xbox although I have not talked to Loyal 126.96.36.199 12:32, October 27, 2010 (UTC)
- I also have this problem. I did Ranger Andy's sidequest, to check Ranger Station Charlie for him, long before I recruited him as a companion. This may have something to do with it. Though I did not get him to react to Loyal or Sterling until I dismissed him as a companion and got him back. I suggest doing this, because it seems to reset something within his AI.
- --Brent Andrew DeBoard 14:08, October 27, 2010 (UTC)
I did the quest, talking to Andy last, and Raul still didn't say anything, so it must be something else, possibly related to ranger station charlie. --DragonJTSLeave me a message 15:43, October 27, 2010 (UTC)
After an investigation, I have concluded that it is most likely to do with the fact that there is a unique line of dialogue that triggers Raul that is only available when completing the Station Charlie quest. All I can do is wait/hope for another patch 188.8.131.52 16:50, October 27, 2010 (UTC)
I'm having this problem but I haven't checked Ranger Station Charlie yet. I'll go do that now and update you guys whether this works or not. --Anonymous Courier
UPDATE: Nope, checked on Charlie and Raul still isn't talking to me after talking to Andy. --AC
I have an even better problem! Not only does talking to Andy not trigger anything, but I can't even open dialogue with Sterling, as he's hanging around with the 1st Recon at Forlorn Hope and all the Quests are done. So Loyal is the only one I can use to trigger Raul. Boooo. 184.108.40.206 15:44, October 29, 2010 (UTC)
Yeah - I have the same problem with Sterling. Anybody know any commands that might be able to make the player able to talk with Sterling again?
I wonder if it's possible, using console commands, to "reset" Sterling and Andy's AI as if you had never spoken to them ever? Perhaps kill and then resurrect them via the console? --Desert Ranger 02:49, October 30, 2010 (UTC)
Seems you can type in "set "E61A5".MetRangerAndy to 1" in the console as a workaround. EDIT: Or maybe not. Gonna poke around for some more commands to try and combine with this one. 220.127.116.11 23:35, October 31, 2010 (UTC)
I looked into it for a few hours using the Geck and it appears that the Speech check from Ranger Andy has been tied to Raul's quest line and its been marked only to come up once and it will not register with Raul if it was completed prior to have Raul as a companion. I created small mod that made the Speech check come up again so I could complete his free quest and it worked perfectly.
Where can I find this mod?18.104.22.168 15:22, November 2, 2010 (UTC)
WARNING: As of patch 1.01, the Full Maintenance perk does not work (but the Regular Maintenance Perk works as intended). There is a mod you can download to make it work, though, available at the New Vegas Nexus. --Desert Ranger 09:35, November 3, 2010 (UTC)
How did they manage to make Danny Trejo sound monotonous and boring? It's like he was tired as he read out his lines. I've noticed a lot of bad voice acting in new vegas, and for me, Raul tops the list. He has his good moments though...-EllEzDee 13:47, October 28, 2010 (UTC)
- Seriously? You're complaining about that? I think he fits the character very very well. He does sound tired, which fits really nicely with a ghoul that is hundreds of years old that keeps telling you he is tired!
- If you listen, you can hear some sadness when you tell him to go back to his shack, like he might cry. Malus X 03:28, November 1, 2010 (UTC)
- Raul is my favorite character because of the voice acting and storyline. The way I read the character is that is he is pretty much done. I was actually really pleased to read that in the end after Hoover Dam he takes up and roams the west doing good. Now, every other character could use a little work, but I'm fairly happy with the work here.
- If you listen, you can hear some sadness when you tell him to go back to his shack, like he might cry. Malus X 03:28, November 1, 2010 (UTC)
The voice acting in new vegas isn't perfect, but it is MUCH better than most games. --22.214.171.124 16:54, October 28, 2010 (UTC)
- Better than most games? That's a pretty big statement to make. I understand he's supposed to play a broken old man...or ghoul rather. But the way he fumbles on words and slips into a different voice like he hadn't properly understood the script. -EllEzDee 16:12, October 28, 2010 (UTC)
- There's a very simple explanation for this if you understand the character and have completed the game. That explanation is that Raul has assumed different 'facades' before. By that, I mean that he's assumed entirely new personalities and names. He goes to a new place and recreates himself, once you've lived for a certain amount of years, and you're that tired of life, you get used to doing that. You just know not to make ties and when it's time to move on, and simply disappear, even from who you were. I know of a few people who've been like that. What's happening is that as Raul is beginning to trust you, he's letting his current facade slip, and you're beginning to see the REAL person behind that, which makes him nervous. Considering this, the voice-acting perfectly suits the character. I actually think that a lot of the complaints about New Vegas is that it's just too high-brow for what gamers have been taught to expect. The voice-acting, writing, and everything in general is of a higher standard than I've seen in a long time. (126.96.36.199 19:22, November 7, 2010 (UTC))
- it's just too high-brow That is GOLD BABY!! I haven't had such a good laugh in ages. Voice acting is mediocre, the guy slurring sounds unprofessional. The worst part about all of the companions is they have, what I assume is meant to be a witty one-liner whenever you open their inventory, but it gets really annoying after you hear it for the second/tenth/hundredth time. I didn't care about any of the companions, I wanted to shoot them after a few minutes. I found myself dealing with ED-E more because it didn't speak! The back stories for the companions are so feeble one wonders why they bothered.
That is not a big statement to make. Most games have absolutely HORRID voice acting. New vegas does have a few quirks, but at least they got a few big names to do it, and they made an attempt at actually creating compelling characters. I'm not saying it is the best voice acting in any game. Some games are much better. My point is that it is well above average. --188.8.131.52 16:54, October 28, 2010 (UTC)
I think Raul is the best companion you could have their all boring if you havent noticed, besides lily and veronica but there just annoying, besides fighting alongside a zombie hombre is pretty awesome
--184.108.40.206 06:56, October 29, 2010 (UTC)
can you pimp Raul during the Wang Dang quest? Edit
He is technically a ghul vaguerro...
- No you can't. Besides, he doesn't fit the other requirements much. The only one that works in the ghoul in the Old Mormon Fort. 220.127.116.11 21:22, February 2, 2011 (UTC)Zephyrr
Tactical Choice Edit
After you hear Raul's whole story you can either tell him to start gunsling again (Vaquero Outfit) or with a speech of 88 I think you can tell him to continue repairing stuff (Armored Petro Chico, I think i chose vaquero so i can confirm) btw the quest isnt bugged on the 360 you just have to wait about an hour in novac hope this helps --18.104.22.168 22:25, October 29, 2010 (UTC)
Would his weapon decay be a good counter for Built to Destroy? Nosferus 05:20, November 26, 2010 (UTC) ^ Yes it would.
Hidden order of completion? Edit
On PC, I talked to Ranger Andy, then Loyal, then Corporal Sterling. I got the stories up to the one about Tucson but no mention of a speech check or anything like that, sending him to the shack and picking him back up didn't solve anything. I want my hombre to get his armored jumpsuit--22.214.171.124 18:36, October 30, 2010 (UTC)McHadies
If this helps, I did it in the order of Ranger Andy, Corporal Sterling, and Loyal *During Volare!*. He said the 3 dialog and then after a few minutes talked to me again. 126.96.36.199 21:25, February 2, 2011 (UTC)Zephyrr
How do you start the free quest "Old School Ghoul" Edit
My problem is that I have not even discovered the quest. I went out of my way to avoid meeting Ranger Andy in Novac when I arrived there. (I was working on "ED-E My Love" at the time.) From Novac I proceeded to Black Mountain and liberated Raul. I went through all the available conversation options with him there. Yet there was no suggestion or note in my Pip=Boy regarding the free quest.
What did I miss? Should I just carry on with the unmarked quest with Andy and hope that that activity triggers the free quest? Or should I avoid Andy until this is sorted? Having a melee/unarmed PC, it would be nice to learn the Ranger Takedown move. I will carry on with the "Come Fly with Me" quest in the meantime. I suppose that is a safe way to go until someone can illuminate me. Growl-tiger 21:05, October 30, 2010 (UTC)
Okay, I sussed it. I have not read this elsewhere here on the wiki, but after much searching I learned that with Raul in tow you talk to Ranger Andy (where, with high enough Speech skill, you can acquire the Ranger Takedown move and, in addition get the Ranger Station Charlie side quest and, if stealthy enough, knick the Medicine skill book on Andy's bed) and then upon leaving Andy's bungalow Raul will engage you in a discussion that launches the free quest. I found it to be a most poignant conversation. I did not see a note in my Pip-Boy, though, so I suppose this is a stealthy free quest. Growl-tiger 23:38, October 30, 2010 (UTC)
Yeah, its actually mentioned briefly in the Prima Guide as being a free quest. Unfortunately, with no details. Thanks. I guess I'm too far gone with this character to succeed, but I'll keep the order in mind next time. God, this game is a spider's web for quests. :) ComaDivine 09:15, November 2, 2010 (UTC)
Vic from Fo2 Edit
I don't think his banter and use of the word boss is a reference to Argyle from FO3. I think he's a reference to Vic from FO2. Vic called the player boss and constantly had floating text banter around his head. - Some dude.
Also, Vic was a mechanic. - some dude
That's what I said to myself.. Sometimes a lot of references people think of can be a bit ridiculous. And interestingly enough, Vic also noted himself for usage of pistols, much like Raul. 188.8.131.52 08:22, November 22, 2010 (UTC)
Can't fire Edit
I have Raul following me, and i'm trying to switch to Veronica, but I can't fire Raul!
I'm on PC, by the way.--CaptainKBX 03:20, November 13, 2010 (UTC)
I realize I'm several years late but have you tried the companion dismissal station at the Gun Runner's kiosk? -HelenaHanbazkt
Elite Badass Edit
Raul is the best follower in the game mainly because he is an Elite Badass (Always have him become a vaquero insteid of a mechanic). He is Ghoul Vaquero (voiced by real-life badass Danny Trejo) who has had a rough life (really f%#king rough life) who, although he ain't exactly a saint, stands up for what is right in the end and doesn't bulls*#t around.
Raul: I am Raul Alfonso Tejada... <Can't remember rest of his line>
Courier: Then why does Your Suit say "Miguel" then?
Raul: Probally because it use to be Miguel's.
That is my favorite line. - Texas Ranger 19:33, November 13, 2010 (UTC)
why does wiki page say he's "half blind"? his perception set to 10!
- Because the other half is just awesome.
- It's because if you listen to his random quotes during battle, and during some of his speeches, he says his eyes are going due to glaucoma and cataracts. "Don't worry boss, with my glaucoma*?*, you only sort of look like the enemy"- During battle 184.108.40.206 21:30, February 2, 2011 (UTC) Zephyrr
What is the most suitable weapon that i can give to raul?
- He doesn't need a weapon, his default pistols are just fine, he can make short work of most enemies, other than cazadors and deathclaws. 220.127.116.11 21:30, February 2, 2011 (UTC)Zephyrr
Prerelease speculation Edit
As a test of the Archive tool under the Monobook skin, I archived all the pre-release speculation on Raul that was on this page. It can be seen by clicking on the Archive 1 link at the top of this page; though as with all archived talk pages, please don't edit it. --Kris 14:01, November 21, 2010 (UTC)
Loyal is silent Edit
I have no speak options for Loyal, so I tried console fix; set "000e61a5".MetLoyal to 1, but it says that it is unknown variable?
Patch messed up Raul? Edit
I think patch 18.104.22.1685 messed up Raul for me. I play on xbox. I had a new game underway before this patch came out and before acquiring Raul as a companion. Then the patch came out and I accepted it. Then I went to do "Crazy, Crazy, Crazy" and after acquiring Raul, I noted that his repair skill was only 95% instead of 100%. I did his companion quest to see if that would sort it out, but uh... now it's even worse. His repair skill is now down to 90%. Anybody else experiencing this or know what the problem might be?22.214.171.124 14:23, December 19, 2010 (UTC)
I'm also getting this :( I hope this isn't permanent (I'm also on the Xbox). Dread Gunner 22:40, December 22, 2010 (UTC)
Mexico City - Las Vegas Edit
While I'm not familiar with everything involved in intercepting nuclear warheads, is it at all plausible when Raul mention he saw Mr.House's defenses go up against the incoming nukes from his Ranch near Mexico City? I mean, Mexico City is really far from the border, several degrees in latitude of the earth's curvature, mountains and several major city "in the way", like Tucson and Phoenix, that were probably getting blown up by nuclear explosions at the time.Dr. Lobotomy 03:45, December 22, 2010 (UTC)
It's possible that the nukes were very high in the atmosphere when Mr. House's system destroyed them. Making them visible for thousands of miles. Blazingsand 05:40, January 1, 2011 (UTC)
Giant fricken laser beams man. ^^ Wyrmalla 19:07, January 4, 2011 (UTC)
Cant even talk to andy Edit
There's been a lot of people having trouble talking with ranger andy and not being able to trigger rauls side quest, Im having a problem a bit more annoying. When i try to engage in coversation with ranger andy it just zooms in a bit then recedes almost instantly. The original glitch was supposedly fixed by the patch but im pretty sure this is a different glitch that happens to be dealing with the same people. btw i play on an xbox so PC commands wont work.
I was in Vault 34, in Security Station A, and after I accessed the terminal I could hear some Feral ghouls screaming. Then Raul started fleeing. I'm pretty sure companions aren't supposed to flee, is this a bug?
There is an unlisted companion stat called "nerve", which determines combat behavior for companions. If the nerve is too low, they may flee. Their nerve is directly related to the player's(your) charisma. -- Shoggoth1890 12:52, January 7, 2011 (UTC)
Also, are you sure he wasn't running to attack an enemy that you didn't notice? -- Shoggoth1890 12:54, January 7, 2011 (UTC)
Well, my Charisma is at 7 (It's normally at 8 but I'm wearing the Remnants power armor) and no, he wasn't running - he was squatting down cowering, and when I tried to initiate dialogue with him a message came up saying "Raul is fleeing"...
Probably a bug then. Bethesda RPGs are no stranger to bugs. If it was just a one time deal then its probably best to just write it off. -- Shoggoth1890 21:52, January 7, 2011 (UTC)
I did his "old school ghoul" in one of my saves, I didn't in another, and I noticed that he flees battle more often if he doesn't have the old vaquero perk. --Ghoullover666 (talk) 06:15, July 5, 2012 (UTC)
If his default weapon is a .44 mag revolver, how come I have to give him .44 ammo to get him to equip another .44 weapon? For example, the Trail Carbine. ReapTheChaos 15:57, January 8, 2011 (UTC)
- Because only his .44 revolver is configured to use infinite companion ammo. Tagaziel (call!) 16:43, January 8, 2011 (UTC)
Raul finally upgrading Edit
Everyone knows that after patch 1.02 there's a chance that Raul don't iniciate the final part in the third dialog, making impossible to upgrade him to use guns or repair skills. I finally got him upgraded in my third playthrough after the patch 1.02. In the first of these three playthroughs I iniciate conversation with Corporal Sterling about his injuries because of the quest "I Don't Hurt Anymore" and with Loyal about his dreams becoming true (after you raise the bomber from the lake) before recruting Raul. The result was Raul not iniciating the last part of his conversation, making impossible to upgrade him. Then in the second of this playthroughs I recruited him, but talked with Sterling and Loyal again without him, then return later with him and speaked again with them, plus Ranger Andy. The result was the same, Raul don't iniciate the last conversation of his personal quest.
In this third playtrough I didn't speaked with Ranger Andy, Corporal Sterling and didn't talked with Loyal about his dreams after completing the quest Volare until I had recruited Raul and have him as a companion . Only then I speaked first with Sterling, then with Loyal and then with Andy, wich finally triggered the last dialog and I upgraded Raul for using his repair skills.
I started another playthrough, now the forth and the one I'm still playing, and repeated the same steps (don't talked to Loyal about his dreams after raising the bomber, with Sterling and Ranger Andy), but this time I switch the order for test purposes. Talked first with Loyal, then with Sterling and finally with Andy in Novac. Raul was my companion the whole time. This triggered the final dialog again, so I upgraded his guns. It's interesting to note that in the two playthroughs that worked and triggered Raul last conversation, the old bug with Ranger Andy happened again, but this time with Raul as companion: talk to him, he teach you the Ranger Takedown, but if tried to talk again, the camera zoom in and the zoom out fast, making impossible to engage in conversation. But it worked, Raul was upgraded!
Of course this means that the quest I Don't Hurt Anymore has to be postponed or be solved with the speech check. Also, because I wasn't able to talk again with Andy, Ranger Station Charlie were never destroyed.
So if someone wants to try this, don't talk with Corporal Sterling and Ranger Andy without Raul; after rainsing the bomber from the lake and return to Loyal, don't engage in the conversation about his dreams come true; talk with him with Raul as companion. Post your findings to know if this is a reliable workaround.
Sorry about any errors, english is not my primary language. Brfritos 00:02, January 13, 2011 (UTC)
- ps3 Patch 1.02.310: Still on my 1st playthrough, having since long learned the Ranger Takedown move and completed the (unmarked) quest Andy and Charlie, the side quests Volare!, I Don't Hurt Anymore (through speech) and Three-Card Bounty before having Raul as a companion. I was well aware that Old School Ghoul could glitch but since he was the only missing crew member I eventually recruited him and soon after we walked all the way straight to Nellis hangars, where once inside we met Loyal who, before even talking directly to him, thankfully commented about his dreams coming true. A few moments after terminating my conversation with Loyal (exhausting all lines of dialog), Raul triggered for the 1st time. From Nellis we headed toward Camp Forlorn Hope where I knew we would find Sterling and upon meeting him, I entered dialog with the old Ranger and after exhausting (again) all lines, I just had to wait a few moments before Raul triggered for the 2nd time. From there we walked forward to Novac, entered Ranger Andy's bungalow and talked to him about his past and his injured leg. Upon exiting the bungalow, Raul triggered for the 3rd time and revealed the final part of his past deeds. Either I was very lucky not hitting any of the glitches or indeed it's fixed for good :)--Om3ro 14:11, April 13, 2011 (UTC)
Recon Armour HelmetEdit
(Armour is not a typo) It says on the page for Raul, under bugs I believe, that equipping the recon armour helmet (if you can call it that) causes him to go invisible. I can confirm that on the Xbox 360 version (with the patches up to date) that it does not cause him to go invisible, but it does cause some clipping issues such as his scalp appearing through the top of it.
- We know that armour is not a typo, just like honour, or centre. 126.96.36.199 21:33, February 2, 2011 (UTC)Zephyrr
Were the quotes taken off the page? If yes why? I really feel like there's something missing.
Standing in Place Bug on 360 too Edit
On the 360, he also stands in place at the Lucky 38. When I dismiss him in the suite, he'll just stand wherever I let him go, even if I exit and re-enter. 188.8.131.52 17:59, February 20, 2011 (UTC) Kaz
Sweet Tooth Comments Edit
He seems to be pretty happy when you put a Sunset Sarsaparilla in his inventory. When you walk by him while he's not a current companion he'll alternate between saying nothing and 2 different comments:
"You're going to rot my teeth, boss. What's left of them anyways."
"Ahh, sarsaparilla. That's just what this dry old throat needs."
A few times, I've heard him say something like "How did you know I have a sweet tooth?" but I'm having trouble figuring out how that trigger differs from the others. I wonder if any other characters have similar reactions to items placed in their inventory. 184.108.40.206 18:00, February 20, 2011 (UTC) Kaz
Companion For Siding With Caesar? Edit
I'm on my second playthrough now. My first playthrough, I sided with the NCR. I took Craig Boone with me everywhere. His default weapon was potent enough that I never felt like I needed to upgrade it. On my second playthough, I plan to side with Caesar's Legion. This, unfortunately, means that I cannot recruit Boone, or many of the other companions for that matter. Does Raul care if you side with Caesar? Orra 06:42, March 10, 2011 (UTC)
- Only 2 companions have problems with you siding with the Legion, Boone and Arcade. 220.127.116.11 18:02, April 2, 2011 (UTC)
- not really true. Raul is a good companion for the legion since he doesn't seem to care about much. That said, you can take any companion, including Boone, and still complete the game under caesars quest line, it's just much harder, since you have to tell them to wait everywhere or do quests a certain way. Cass will leave if you become to evil, which is really easy to do as a legion quester, Lily might work, haven't tried yet... Veronica will also leave at times. 18.104.22.168 03:38, July 2, 2011 (UTC)
Possible Fallout 2 reference? Edit
He is a repair-skilled companion who always calls the PC "Boss". Sound familiar?
When you encounter Raul for the first time and ask him why it his suit he says "Miguel", he says "probably because it used to be Miguel's." There's a place called "Miguel's Pawn Shop" run by a guy named Miguel in Westside. Does anyone know if the suit used to belong to the Miguel in Westside or to a different Miguel?
Am I the only person who noticed the apparent reference to the baseball player Miguel Tejada? 22.214.171.124 00:26, February 12, 2012 (UTC)
That may not be necessary (Anonymous)
Feral comments Edit
When fighting Feral Ghouls,he yells "Dont eat me eat the smooth ski-Oh,sorry boss"Any one else get this too? Donovans Wrench 00:34, April 8, 2011 (UTC)
Going near Repconn triggers this line once. 126.96.36.199 18:37, June 16, 2011 (UTC) Kaz
What weapons will he equip? Edit
I noticed his 'Old Vaquero' perk specifically relates to 'Cowboy' weapons like those from the Player perk by that name. Does that inhibit him from using other 'Guns' weapons not in the 'Cowboy' weapons list? He seems to like his default pistola better than even the anti materiel rifle I gave him for some reason. Now I haven't finished his 'Old School Ghoul' quest yet but the current problem has raised some questions in my head. Does he have a lever action preference that overrides damage output?--Xclockwatcher 23:04, May 23, 2011 (UTC)
As I understand it, the game will have any companion equip the highest-damage ranged weapon gun you give him/her, adjusted for the character's skills/perks, as long as you also provide ammo. The algorithm for choosing may be flawed, but I doubt it's all that bad. In Raul's case, while I'm sure there are higher-damage weapons I could give him (like named lever-action rifles), I tend to give him the Mysterious Magnum, which is powerful enough for him to kill most mobs before I even notice them...and of course the Mysterious Stranger theme plays every time he draws or holsters it. GryphonQ (talk) 09:08, May 27, 2013 (UTC)
Raul vs. Boone Edit
Keeping in mind that Boone's spotting perk helps very much while sniping especially at night, who is overall the best companion to have Chriskillz 03:20, July 14, 2011 (UTC)
sorry not to sure how this all works
This seems at least as useful as a lot of other talk page content topics. It also happens to be a constant question for me in-game. My conclusion is that they're both plenty badass when you give them higher-end guns (plus ammo) that suit their abilities. Spotter is nice, but it's also nice not to have to repair expensive gear as often. GryphonQ (talk) 08:40, May 27, 2013 (UTC)
New glitch? Edit
I'm on PS3 with the latest patch (on 10/08/2011), and I had a save where I had Raul as a follower, no problems whatsoever. Now I've started a new character, and his marker is on the world map, in Black Mountain (presumably in the prison), as if I'd told him to wait there. Is this a new glitch, or just one that I've missed, and should it be added to this page? (I'm relatively new here, and I'm not sure how to edit anything other than text, so I'd appreciate it if someone else did it for me, so I don't screw anything up.)
I think this is how to sign; Si vis pacem, para bellum. 00:36, August 11, 2011 (UTC)
Ending glitch? Edit
I accidently killed Raul, resurrected him with console commands and completed Old School Ghoul by making him become a vaquero but the ending slide continually says "Raul's luck ran out with the Courier" even if Raul was the active companion during All or Nothing. I had completed the last mission once before resurrecting him but there was no Raul slide then. Fallout UK: coming 2012 15:21, August 21, 2011 (UTC)
That's probally because he was killed. It won't count if you ressurrected him because the game will have flagged him as dead. At least, that's what I think, being a xbox user I can't use console, so this is just speculation (188.8.131.52 14:24, January 11, 2012 (UTC))
Companions can only be killed in Hardcore mode. For me, when they die, I just reload from my last save. That's why I save often and have multiple saves in case any of my saves get bugged or crash. (anonymous)