Inability to Grab Items Once Un-equipedEdit
I seem to have a problem of not being able to grab the items the person normally wears when I reverse pickpocket something better to them, they will wear the armor I give them then when I go to steal the item they were previously wearing they don't ever let me grab it. Example: I reverse pickpocket Rielly of Rielly's Rangers to get her armor and yet for some reason everytime I try to grab her armor, even though it isn't equiped, I am unable to grab it. Forerunner 15:01 8/20/10
I'm surprised this section doesn't exist. I mean putting useful survival stuff on a char is nice, but what I always wanted to do was get all the ladies in the game in SS lol. Unfortunately I've failed miserably at this.
Mesmetron gave more benefit, but as a related observation, npcs, at least generic settlers from Megaton will respawn their crap-outfits after a long enough period of time, and will switch to that, leaving sexy sleepwear in their inventories, this is very frustrating.
Anyone know if they automatically respawn outfits or only when they are missing them? The reason I ask is perhaps it's possible to give them an outfit with almost broken condition and maybe they won't take off sexy sleepwear.
I just tried and I could't make it work sadly.. seems they just lets the item being in their invetory!! ;:C
Pickpocket vs. Reverse-PickpocketEdit
This is still just pickpocketing, and should be moved to the pickpocketing page. It is merely stealing and replacing items at the same time. Which is how the pocket kills, with grenades/mines, work. --Xoutkastx3 20:14, 5 December 2008 (UTC)
- Actually no, it's not stealing and replacing at the same time. It needs two steps, to make them change equipment in between. An implementation and effect of pickpocketing. You don't actually have to do the second step if you say want Sparkle to wear a power armor for some reason - but if you want to move that topic to pickpocketing, sure.
- --Mirar 20:47, 5 December 2008 (UTC)
- You can add items to an NPC's inventory without taking anything. How is that pickpocketing?
- V.A.T.S. addict 20:11, 10 June 2009 (UTC)
well the game counts it was pickpocketing220.127.116.11 02:38, 5 June 2009 (UTC)
- It's pretty simple. It's pickpocketing because the second you highlight the NPC, it says "Pickpocket (NPC)." You go into the pickpocket screen. At that point, you are pickpocketing. If you close the screen, you initiated a pickpocket but didn't do anything. If you take something, you used the pickpocket to steal; if you put something in, you used the pickpocket to un-steal. ;) 18.104.22.168 01:34, December 31, 2009 (UTC)
Dogmeat and PupEdit
Killing Dogmeat or Dogmeat's Puppy frees up an additional Companion slot for Fallout 3 companions. Killing Dogmeat can be time consuming if done with traditional weapons like Grenades, Vengeance, Eugene and other "standard weapons" as he is quite hardy (his puppy even more so). Additionally, killing Dogmeat in this manner can cause followers (such as Charon) to become hostile and unrecruitable. Leaving Dogmeat (or pup) to get killed in encounters with Enclave Soldiers, Super Mutants, etc. can also be tedious. The best solution to "killing Dogmeat" is probably via this Reverse-Pickpocketing/Exploding Pants mechanism.
In order to Reverse-Pickpocket a Live Grenade onto Dogmeat:
- NOTE: Do this NEAR the NPC you want to recruit!!
- Tell Dogmeat to go back to Vault 101 and wait.
- Crouch and move your cursor over Dogmeat.
- Select "Talk to Dogmeat".
- This will open up the inventory exchange screen where you can Reverse-Pickpocket a Live Grenade onto Dogmeat.
Not only is this quicker as he perishes immediately from only 1 grenade (compare to actually tossing grenades at him via V.A.T.S or otherwise), but this can be done right in front of Charon without turning him hostile. You will lose Karma. This will count towards your Pants Exploded stat (even thought Dogmeat isn't wearing any pants). V.A.T.S. addict 16:32, 10 June 2009 (UTC)
DOGMEAT ISNT WEARING PANTS?!? Such a dirty dog!
i cant reverse pickpocket Edit
i got fallout 3 for the xbox 360 and i cant seem to get any of the iteam like eldar lyons robe by reverse pickpocket do it not work for the 360
Works for me. What are you putting on him? Fat Man Spoon 22:33, 20 June 2009 (UTC)
i try to reverse pick pockit on sonora to get her hat but it dosnt work. sad face
its amazing how many people have this problem. To reverse pickpocket something that someones wearing, you need to replace that item with something of a higher DR. Save before doing so, reverse pickpocket to that person (the save means if you get seen you can reload and try again), leave the room then re-enter. they should now be wearing the item you gave them. save again, then try and pickpocket the item you were after the first time. I got three dogs head wrap using this method, and gave him one of my many power helmetsin exchange =)
Section About Better-Equiping Allies Edit
I think there should be a section about using this technique to better-equip allies such as Sarah Lyons before the final battle of Fallout 3. --wexer9 19:09, 17 July 2009 (UTC)
- Sarah Lyons is set to essential, there's no way to kill her. You can trade equipment with official followers, so there's no need for that.
For temporary followers, and allied NPCs such as merchant caravans some things aren't entirely clear. For example, they can use often use power armor, but do they gain or suffer do to SPECIAL or skill adjustments? What is the hierarchy of plantable gear? After DMG/DR, is it price, condition, or a percentage of the items total value of the former or latter? Just another example. It would kind of suck if an NPC that was just decked out in some stellar gear to increase their lifespan, were to decide to ignore a sniper rifle in lieu of a close combat weapon of some sort because their intrinsic or augmented strength or melee value compelled them to do so. DO they have preferred equipment types based on their GECK stats?22.214.171.124 02:53, 15 August 2009 (UTC)
When you reverse pickpocket a different weapon, then reverse pickpocket the ammo, is the ammo unlimited? Do you have to give a crapload of ammo to the person so they don't run out?Tehuberleetmaster 22:42, 15 August 2009 (UTC)
I've given an NPC a Lazer Riffle with one MF cell and then started a fight with them as a test, and they fired at least a dozen times, with no indication that they would run out of ammo.
Wait time for NPCs to equip new gear Edit
Why does the article say you need to reload the cell? Every time I do it, they equip the new gear as soon as I exit the pickpocketing screen, whether it be armor or weaponry. Can anyone confirm? I'm on PC running both Patch 1.7 and unofficial patch. TestECull 20:49, April 22, 2010 (UTC)
giving non-live grenades to NPC's Edit
You'll need one mirelurk bait grenade (obtainable with console command), cryo grenade/mine, or bio-gas canister to sacrifice. Plant one of those explosives into your target (it will barely do any damage to that person). Then don't quit the the inventory giving-taking menu, give the NPC's more grenades. Those other grenades you give them won't go live. Eddo36 08:58, September 7, 2010 (UTC)
Reverse pickpocketing stimpacks Edit
Is there any indication that an NPC will use them if hurt? I tried giving the members of Lyon's pride stimpacks, but only the Sentinel chick ever seems to survive the fight. I upgraded their armor (Tesla) and gave them all gatling lasers w. ammo (not sure if they all have big guns skill though).
- They'll use 'em, but not to the extent the player can, otherwise any enemy with stimpaks would just keep using 'em until they run out. --Kris 11:25, October 13, 2010 (UTC)
Can you plant items in New Vegas? Edit
Yes it is possible to plant items, though it may take a few tries, I would advise saving before hand and if it fails, reload rinse and repeat. It also depends on your sneak level i believe. --Harry
What Armor/Headgear CAN'T You Obtain? Edit
FALLOUT 3 I know that almost all named and unnamed NPCs can have their armor switched out when you reverse pickpocket them with a "better armor" but are there any specific characters or any specific armors that you CAN'T do this with? I know of one child (forget who), who won't replace his outfit no matter what.. Is there a list or something??' --DrunkenSushi 23:50, June 24, 2011 (UTC)
Oh and i have the PS3 version so no console commands for me!
planting live grenade then immediately leaving area before it explodes will make live grenade dissappear Edit
A theory, when you plant a live grenade into someone and leave right away (via a door nearby, or maybe even fast travel), and then you come back, the NPC will still be alive and the live grenade will have dissappear from their inventory. I suppose from this method, you can give grenades to NPC's. Just plant a live grenade, then simply give them as many normal grenades as you want, and leave the area before it explodes. Eddo36 11:57, April 2, 2012 (UTC)
Getting Back! Edit
So I put a Police Hat on Harden Simms because I thought it'd be cool on him. I didn't know until after that it looked too wierd on him, so I shoved it off. My problem is, now, I want it back. It's the only one left in the game because I (stupidly) sold all the rest. I've tried reverse-pickpocketing a combat helmet and it won't work! I'm sure a Power Helmet, but I'd rather avoid it. If someone could reply with a possible solution, it'd be much appreciated! --126.96.36.199 03:28, January 3, 2013 (UTC)
- Reload a previous save where Harden doesn't have the police hat. It that doesn't work, use a power helmet; they're easy enough to come across later in the game. --Kastera (talk) 03:39, January 3, 2013 (UTC)
- The whole point of the original post was that the poster was trying to avoid that. There's nothing like someone offering help that is not helpful, and solutions which don't actually solve anything. There are several outfits that remove headgear: Radiation suit(DR 5, 15 health, 60 caps), Advanced radiation suit(DR 8, 25 health, 100 caps), Environment suit(DR 6, 25 health, 100 caps), Enclave scientist/Lab Tech outfit(presumably DR 3, 100 health, and 8 caps?), and the Spacesuit(DR 1, ∞ health, 60 caps). Try reverse pickpocketing a fully repaired piece of eye-wear or a piece of (full)head-wear with higher base health than the existing headgear first. Then try using a different full body outfit with higher base health. The game sometimes prioritizes which apparel will be worn without regard to DR rating or cap value. For example: Dusty in Big Town prefers his damaged leather armor(DR 20, 125 health, 104 caps) over a fully repaired Rivet City Security Uniform(DR 24, 100 health, 330 caps). In these cases, item health may be prioritized higher than DR or cap value. The Police Hat has 150 health(less if you didn't fully repair it), so the Spacesuit may be the only way if item health is the prioritized stat. If none of the above works, hex editing a saved game may be your only other choice if you play on an Xbox or PS3(on a PC just add another Police Hat with the console). The only other in-game way to swap items without killing or editing is using the Mesmetron, but that method unfortunately doesn't work on Lucas Simms as he and many others NPCs are immune to it. I hope this helped. --188.8.131.52 22:29, March 5, 2013 (UTC)