Glitch Needs VerifyingEdit
I'm playing on PC. Sometimes I'll open my Pip-Boy and the only option for me on my items tab is to Repair...and it won't allow me to place a marker on the map. The only way to remedy this is to restart the game. Anyone else have this issue? --Namelesswalaby 21 Jan 2010 1421hrs
Yes, its happened once in a blue moon. I cant figure out anything else to do except restart. it may be the computer you're using, since mine experiences a lot of errors. Name not required june 23,2010 18:30
PIP Boy GloveEdit
What it's role? why the NPCs and the Lone Wanderer are wearing them? I think it's the V.A.T.S control device, what about you? 20:43, September 30, 2009 (UTC)
- It sounds reasonable for V.A.T.S. to be a function of the Pip-Boy, while the glove uses some kind of thrusters to help the user aim. Although, I don't know whether this is official or not.--Ehplee 18:41, November 10, 2009 (UTC)
- No thrusters, no assistance. VATS is a purely gameplay ruining device, not anything actually existing within the gameworld. It doesn't make any sense.
- It wouldn't be "Vault-Tec" if it didn't really exist in the game world. Even on the V.A.T.S. page, there's an advertisement video for it, suggesting it is a Vault-Tec invention.--Ehplee 20:32, November 15, 2009 (UTC)
The glove is in place as clothes cannot be worn under the PIP - Boy. It is effectively a substitute sleeve. Sheepbiter 10:02, January 22, 2010 (UTC)
my pip boy, has glitched where its at the top of screen, and half unreadable. Reloading does not fix PLEASE HELP?!
The pip boy has the ability to playback holotapes, but I don't understand how. There is not visible slot to insert them, maybe you connect them together through a wire or wirelessly like an external hard drive. Just thought that could be added or at least questioned. --220.127.116.11 06:26, 3 January 2009 (UTC) Trent
- My guess is that it's like a walk-man where the screen flips up to reveal a place to insert the tape. --MadDawg2552 17:13, 25 January 2009 (UTC)
- I suspect that its like the mouse and pointer on a computer. On the computer version, you can use the mouse pointer on your pip-boy. That got me wondering "how does the lone wanderer use a pointer on the pip-boy?" I figured that the dial on the glove was like an X- Y-axis dial thing, like and etchesketch dial. also, clothes seem like they can fit under the pipboy, you can see that with pre-war casual and relaxed wear. Name not required, June 23,2010 18:35
I have a theory about that! it says on the page that only a vault tec technichian or the Wearer (You) so when you equip apparal the player takes it off and then puts it back on!
You can have a glitch with the glove which become purely invisible. It can be caused by a mod (for example the Pipboy Readius). in this case, you can remove the glove with this console command : player.unequipitem 25b83
I merged the information about the Pip-Boy 3000 light with this page. --MadDawg2552 18:56, 25 January 2009 (UTC)
NPC Pip-Boy Screens Edit
The Pip Boys on NPCs like vault residents are always on the stats screen (or whatever it's called, the one where it's got a picture of the Pip Boy character and stats for limbs), but does the bar for limb health change when you hit them? I haven't been able to see it very well on other characters, does anyone know?
No, it doesn't. probably because its just part of the npc-loadout skins, and it wont change because the screen is, in direct words, "painted on" the npc.
Pip Boy 3000 Hand Held Devices Edit
You can find google links for converting BBerries themes to Pip Boy 3000's. 18.104.22.168 19:46, 23 May 2009 (UTC)
- This only place that will keep reposting it. They keep getting removed due to copyright infringement. http://www.themes4bb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20544
Nearly accurate replica? Edit
- Hoax for sure. Looks okay, but I'm not sure how the screen changes without pushing those buttons. The knobs and stuff are there for a reason. Nitpicker of the Wastes 23:55, 5 June 2009 (UTC)
- Why hoax? From the description "A real working pipboy 3000! Well, not quiet yet, but it is the first small steps in the correct direction. (This is a test to see how the pipboy looks on screen)" So he admits that one is just a demonstration on a video loop. Looks nice. --22.214.171.124 23:59, 5 June 2009 (UTC)
This link is dead.(Majestyk12)
Is it possible to zoom the map without using the mouse wheel?
I play with a trackball, so I don't have a wheel. I can't find a setting for this in the control mapping.
Katt 07:47, 19 August 2009 (UTC)
About that light... Edit
I play the Xbox 360 version of the game and I've personally found that the easiest way to fix the thing where the screen is unreadable because its washed out with a bright green light is to turn the Pip-Boy light on and off once. This is probably because the light is actually just the Pip-boy light if it doesn't want to turn itself off when you look at it (It does turn off at all other times when you look/access it though only right as you look at it as it stays bright as you lift it up to your face).--Mandalore IV 06:26, 29 August 2009 (UTC)
The zoom shows all the necessary stuff but I've seen other videos on Youtube where you see their wrist same for when I hold a gun it just shows the front of the gun and part of the middle I play the Game of the year edition on my Xbox 360 on my living room TV it's quite big so anyone know why or is it just TV size please tell me
Yeah someone should reply about this.Ive been wondering also.--Deathclaw22 06:13, November 29, 2009 (UTC)
I think its a PC-only thing and you dont switch it in options or anything, its just like that for the Pc. So im 99.9% sure its just a slight diference that they looked over or didnt really care about.I gotta say however, it would be nice to see your Geiger Counter and the details of the Pip-Boy slightly better on the 360.
It's got nothing to do with the actual size of the monitor (in this case, the TV), but its aspect ratio. With a standard 4:3 monitor, less is shown on the sides of the Pip-Boy than with a widescreen 16:10 or 16:9 monitor. The Geiger counter can be seen on Xbox too, you just need a widescreen TV. However, the FOV (the zoom of the camera basically) can be tweaked on PC via the console, which means one can see the entire Pip-Boy, even on a 4:3 monitor. --126.96.36.199 05:26, April 26, 2012 (UTC)
Now Why can you not take it off to disguise yourself?
The only reason the Enclave knows it is you wearing their armor is that Pip-Boy!
I want to take it oof so i can go undcover man...
So Bethsida, if you are reading this, please, Please make it removable...
The Wiki says that it can be removed by the user.
It does not make sense to have your hand show while in a radiation suit....
Just a tip/complaint from a huge fan.
- I notuced that enemies don't seem to notice the flashlight while wearing an active stealth suit. Is this a bug? - Redmess 12:24, April 10, 2010 (UTC)
Pip-Boy 3 Billion? Edit
Wtf? Where'd... How... Ok somebody give me some proof of this, cause I've read just about every preview of FNV and I haven't heard nothing about this.
- If you click on the reference link I put up, there is a podcast. This guy is interviewing Larry Liberty and Larry says it's in the game and you can purchase it. TrailerParkApe 21:23, August 6, 2010 (UTC)
Reply: By JCagS85--- You can buy it from Mick & Ralphs after you finish a certain amount of the King's quest and main quest. Its pretty tight. Good Luck!!
Amata on your pipboy Edit
Found this in the discussion page for amata, Is it real? I havent done trouble on the home front yet.
--TK 188.8.131.52 11:46, September 13, 2010 (UTC)
No, it's a mod. Tezzla Cannon 11:48, September 13, 2010 (UTC)
ha ha ha ha ha ha you tupid!
Pipboy customizable? Edit
I read the part about the pipboy 3billion, and know that nv will have customization for weapons, so does this indicate that the pipboy will be customizable in nv, I mean more than the display color, more like things that help the player like item detection systems or even cosmetic upgrades like the bling in the 3billion.
My other question is does anyone else think that it would be awsome to have that feature in nv?184.108.40.206 00:31, September 24, 2010 (UTC)
- Highly unlikely. Yuri Kaslov 00:33, September 24, 2010 (UTC)yeah so did I is there a new pipboy glove not the wrist the finger less glove so will there be a new pipboy glove?
PIP vs Pip Edit
Pipboy radar/map marker is about useless Edit
I don't know why they didn't learn their lesson from Fallout 3 but in New Vegas the Pipboy's radar/map marker is still pretty much useless unless you're in a single story building which is rarely ever. I don't know how many times I would see the map marker on my map right where a door is, and as soon as I enter the door the map marker is now on the same door telling me to go back outside. Most of the time this happens because the marker is actually trying to get you to go to a location above or below where you're at. The simple fix for this (and I am flabbergasted they haven't done this yet)is to have a small arrow inside the map marker pointing up or down to let you know you need to be on another floor. If you're on the right floor the arrow just simply goes away. Or better yet, just have the map marker point up (as it looks now normally) if you need to go up, and down if you need to go down and if you don't need to go neither up nor down it turns into a rectangle.--220.127.116.11 01:26, November 8, 2010 (UTC)
Courier's Pip-Boy isn't attached. Edit
This has already been mentioned that the Pip Boy that The Courier possesses isn't attached to his/her arm like the Lone Wanderer's.
But is it worth noting that if you look at a model of the Courier and a model of the Lone Wanderer and look at they're Pip Boy's, you'll notice something.
Look at the Lone Wanderer, notice how his/her sleeve seems to have been cut off with scissors or a knife so it doesn't cover over the Pip-Boy?
Now look at the Courier, notice how his/her Pip-Boy is OVER the sleeve of the clothing, instead of cut off.
Possibly suggesting that the Lone Wanderer has to cut off his/her sleeve to put long-sleeve clothing on, while the Courier just simply takes off the Pip-Boy, gets dressed and then puts the Pip-Boy back on his/her wrist.
- Uh, no, it's exactly the same mechanic in both cases, you haven't examined the Fo3 clothing close enough. The 3000 is not permanently attached to your forearm, Stanley was just being silly/Bethesda's writer screwed up (gee, ain't it news). Tagaziel (call!) 00:53, November 21, 2010 (UTC)
Attached or not? Edit
in Fallout 3 Stanley says that you can't get it off without having to cut of your arm SAW style. so how did doc mitchell got it off and gave it to the courier? bethesda oversight? or maybe obsidian oversight?
The pipboys are all recycled in the vault. They are removed by being cut off or left on the deceased body during incineration, (the only type of funeral service provided to a dead body in a vault due to space issues) as the pipboy would survive the process. All the they pipboys were issued to residents upon entering the vault or shortly after. (it's likely that there were spares, for backup and becaused not all resisents may have made it to the vault in time) So the pipboy given to the player in fallout 3 would likely have had multiple owners. It is possible that pipboys are biometrically locked to their owners, though it is not proven that a pipboy has to lock to an owner to function, only that it can be locked.(Gary 23 in operation anchorage)
Forgot to signPowlee 02:16, January 15, 2011 (UTC)
what kind of sniper rifle is that, i know youre on computer so is it a mod
I Dont Know. Edit
Im not sure, sorry i found this image on the internet. I put that image on there because you could see more.
extra colors with out modding Edit
The answer to this question is to manually change the decimal color code in your FalloutPrefs.ini file in your MyDocs/games/fallout folder. open the file with notepad and the lines you need to change are the following:
Red: uPipboyColor=2566914303 uHUDColor=2566914303
Bright Blue: uPipboyColor=65535 uHUDColor=65535
Purple: uPipboyColor=1711315455 uHUDColor=1711315455
Orange: uPipboyColor=4281532671 uHUDColor=4281532671
Pink: uPipboyColor=4278255615 uHUDColor=4278255615
Dark Green: uPipboyColor=3342591 uHUDColor=3342591
it works on pc verison xbox would require console saves its purely cosmetic changes if u pic red hud enemies show up yellow when hostile
define console save ........ and please sign Gschmechel25
You are ≠ your Edit
18.104.22.168 14:42, July 15, 2011 (UTC)
- The above anon is correct. Please read the linked article if you always get those words confused; it's really not hard to get it right. --Kris 14:48, July 15, 2011 (UTC)
Should this page be split into two articles, one for Fallout 3 and one for Fallout: New Vegas? There are certainly enough difference between the two games to warrant it. -LawdyMissMaudy 18:14, August 7, 2011 (UTC)
- I'd say no, as they still are similar, and are the same model of Pip-Boy. I think the differentiating information of the Pip-Boy between the two games are organized well enough that a split is not necessary. --Living Lifeless 9 22:50, August 13, 2011 (UTC)
- I am going to have to say no, they are more similar than different. Splitting them would create redundancy between the two pages. 17:45, August 21, 2011 (UTC)
- I am in agreement with porter and Ghost, their is just not enough difference between the two to warrant a split. ---bleep196- 14:28, September 7, 2011 (UTC)
- I am going to have to say no, they are more similar than different. Splitting them would create redundancy between the two pages. 17:45, August 21, 2011 (UTC)
Why is the Pip-Boy always wore on the left wrist? Is it just lazy programming, or is there some in-game explanation (ie. only right-handed people were selected to the Vaults)? KaIIe 16:24, August 21, 2011 (UTC)
- No. It's that 90% of the population is right handed, so i was put on the left arm so the right arm could fiddle with the dials and whatnot. There are probably other specially made Pip-Boys that are for the left handed. --Kastera (talk) 18:58, August 21, 2011 (UTC)
what the heck? 1 real hour is a whole 24hr day/full Earth rotation? its too fast for me. a 4 hour rotation at least, please.
Does the activated/lifted/displayed pip-boy freeze your "Play Time" count as shown in the game save/load menu, cause i've just found out that when your game is on the pause menu and save, load and settings menus the "Play Time" counter is still ticking/active and is not paused -at all- as i had assumed. i made a save, pressed my pipboy button, then start button to do a "safety pause" and left it alone for over two hours, came back, saved straight away and two hours had accumulated on my "Play Time" on the new save!?! - this query is regarding FNV, i haven't test this on F3 yet. I'm on X360, with latest update and all four main expansions. CDEagle147A "jesus cripes theres a thousand pigs!!" 00:31, September 25, 2011 (UTC).
The "Play Time" counter is how long you've had the game / console on, not the actual amount of in-game time that has passed. They're two different stats, one is just a stat for fun (Total Play Time), and the other is the in-game time (Ex. 1340 or 1:30 PM).
My theory regarding the differences between the Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas Versions of the PIP-Boy Edit
In Fallout 3, the Lone Wanderer on their 10th birthday receives a Lil'-PIP restored by Stanley Armstrong, and he implies that the 3000A model has integrated bio-locks, and would take great skill to remove without injury to the wearer (See Gary 43). Yet in Fallout: New Vegas, the PIP-Boy that the Courier receives from Doc Mitchell is easily detached and replaced by the Pimp-Boy 3 Billion. Although this is only possible with the Wild Wasteland trait and that could be the only reason it is possible; my theory is that the Courier's PIP-Boy is in fact a more advanced model of the 3000; perhaps a B. After all, the Lone Wanderer was made fun of on their 10th birthday by Wally Mack because their Lil'_PIP 3000 was an "A" model, implying that there are more advanced models of the 3000. It would explain the various differences between the two including the change in default color, the ability to track faction reputations, and to list challenges in the 'Notes' section. --James Rednok 16:02, October 5, 2011 (UTC)
- Fallout 3 is thoroughly inconsistent in this aspect, so it's best to just ignore it entirely. It's supposedly biometrically locked, but PIP-Boy equipped characters have no problem putting on armor and outifts with sleeves going under the PIP-Boy. Tagaziel (call!) 19:47, October 5, 2011 (UTC)
Is it possible?Edit
I played Fallout 3 Operation Anchorage and i found a Gary corpse with his arm chopped off, i presume the outcasts tried to take the PIP-boy from him and use themselves but ended up killing him. That problably means the PIP-boy is LOCKED on the user wrist, since the Outcasts couldn't take it off. But at New Vegas you can just ask Mick & Ralph to take your pip-boy off and switch to Pimp-Boy, HOW could they do that?! Another thing i noticed it's that Doc Mitchell does NOT use a Pip-boy, even after growing at a Vault, if he could take his pip-boy off and give it to the player, why the Outcasts couldn't do such a thing???—Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk • contribs). Please sign your posts with ~~~~!
- The article actually states this already, it seems most likely that only the wearer is able to take off their Pip-Boy. This would explain why Doc Mitchell and the Courier can take it off while the Outcasts couldn't. Paladin117>>iff bored 15:22, April 15, 2012 (UTC)
- It's just Bethesda butchering lore while trying to provide something cool for players to witness. Obviously PIP-Boys can be removed, as the Vault Dweller removed his before dying which the Chosen One was then given.--meh
- Certain models probably can be removed while others can't. Remember, not all Vaults had the same equipment or were made at the same exact time. Improvements could have been made before some vaults got their equipment. You're specifically told that yours is an older model when it's given to you on your birthday. Ganondorf 04:18, April 19, 2013 (UTC)
No visible frame/stats of gear...help? Edit
I hope this gets a response, but it seems relevant as I need help and chat/forums are pointing me to the wiki notes. I don't have the auto-axe like in the notes on bugs in the wiki, which confirms is a reason. But my Pip-boy frame is not visible to select gear or even see the cond. of gear. I can still equip my gear, though hard to tell what I'm doing w/ no frame and no visible ammo/ effects and stats or item condition appear...so how do I fix the bug? The rest of the Pip-boy works as normal just the items selection is bugged.
The answer was, for me, to save game then shut of the console while in gameplay, reboot, and load the save. This corrected the issue for me...so if it happens try doing that.(Not2shabbyBABY (talk) 17:15, November 23, 2013 (UTC))
100,000 Cap Value? Where/Why? Edit
The Wikia lists a Value of 100,000 caps for the Pip-Boy 3000 and I'm just wondering why. Where was that value taken from? I have yet to see in-game anyone really talk about the value of one, caps wise anyway. Tetsuoh (talk) 20:10, July 20, 2014 (UTC) Tetsuoh