Err.. what? Only 213 skill magazines? I highly doubt this is true unless this means the skill magazines in preset locations since I see magazines restocked in vendors(I bought all magazines from a vendor, few days later, there is more).
nevermind Namad 14:50, October 24, 2010 (UTC)
skill magazines are very likely infinite, but that doesn't mean the world can't have only 213 pre-placed Edit
Namad 18:41, October 24, 2010 (UTC)
There's 5 big books of science. Edit
Should something be added somewhere in this article that there's actually 5 Big Books of Science? The four mentioned, and a fifth one as a potential reward from That Lucky Old Sun. Note: this wouldn't inherently break the "4 of each rule", as there'd still only be 4 of each laying around to be picked up. Thrade 11:29, October 25, 2010 (UTC)
- Yeah I can confirm this one as well. I recieved it for sending power everywhere without overloading the grid(The one that mentions brownouts) and then talking to Ignacio. (by someone who forgot to sign)
- Only four exist in the game files, and other guide sites have no mention of a fifth book. Mictlantecuhtli 21:57, October 29, 2010 (UTC)
- Only four exist laying around. This is a quest reward. Go do the quest, select to spread the power evenly (but not the emergency all power option), and Ignacio will give you one as a reward. Thrade 01:32, October 30, 2010 (UTC)
- No, need an admin looked up the quest. It does indeed grant an optional book at the expense of the most powerful weapon in the game. Mictlantecuhtli 11:03, October 30, 2010 (UTC)
- most powerful is rather dubious statement. you can only use it once per day, you can only use it outside, and it weighs quite a bit in your inventory. while its certainly a powerful weapon, with the extreme limitations on it i dont think i would call it the most powerful.
- i took the skill book personally, and ive never felt like i made a mistake, at all. then again by the time i got to around level 20 my character was so ridiculously strong i never felt like i needed anything beyond a sniper rifle and a pistol honestly, so yeah.
Bogus Grognak at The Tops? Edit
Found (stealable) in a bedside desk on the hotel room floor.
Also, this would constitute a fifth instance of the book, but there are only four of each. I don't think it's there; someone please confirm that this location should be stricken. Blackmonolith 22:58, October 26, 2010 (UTC)
I just took a look. One of the bedside desks had a Salesman Weekly, but there definately didn't seem to be a Grognak around. Perhaps the person grabbed this magazine, didn't notice the name when they grabbed it, looked in their inv, saw a Grognak they didn't recall getting previously, and assumed that was it. Thrade 09:45, October 27, 2010 (UTC)
Correct me if Im wrong, but even without counting the above Grognak in question, there still seems to be 6 listed books, with 2 being in the same spot at 'Two are located in the top right Hard Wall safe behind a Very Hard Door next to the stage.(Stealable)' Drmuffinz 05:54, October 28, 2010 (UTC)
Yeh, that line item for 2 located together was only added today. Two together that had gone unnoticed also seems unlikely, and I see both lines have now been removed bringing it back to 4 total for all. Thrade 10:14, October 28, 2010 (UTC)
There are 4 of each book placed in the game world. No more, no less. There is ONE book given the the Courier in a different manner, that is a Big Book of Science given at Helios One. No other books are given through dialogue or quest rewards, and none exist in containers except that those containers which do contain skill books aren't placed anywhere (cut content). --Kris 04:21, October 30, 2010 (UTC)
extra duck and coverEdit
i can confirm that there was 2 duck and covers sitting next to Ranger Lenk at RS Foxtrot in my game, though im not sure if its a bug or not.
ps3 ver 1.06 extra D&C re-spawns @ RS Foxtrot after the last patch, please confirm on other platforms BurnsidePDX 07:41, August 1, 2011 (UTC)
New Skill books in Dead Money DLC? Edit
Is there any new skill books in the new DLC? I have heard rumours of 1 more of each book, but just needs confirming if there is more. This will be of ultimate annoyance for people who have decided to create the "best" character. Meaning no waste SP and no waste perks. --Jpartridge 17:43, December 21, 2010 (UTC)
Organize Books by Zone Edit
Since the map that came with the game breaks it up into 6 "zones" I think someone should group these books by zones 1-6 so it can be sorted in order. Ex. Goodsprings is in zone 4, cottonwood cove is 6, helios one is 5. This would greatly increase the usefulness of this skill book list so people can get the books as they progress through the game. Leave the DLC books out because they should be easier to find since (presumably) the maps will be smaller. The order of the zones you go through in the game with the story is typically 4,5,6,3,2,1.
Except that people don't do that; they tend to go relatively quickly all the way around to Vegas, then go back and start exploring the areas off the roads with tougher enemies. And some of us, like me, don't have a map, and the map on this site doesn't mention zones, so that would really just be confusing. Including the nearest map marker is good enough. --BWM
Tumblers today Edit
Sierra Madre casino-on top of cabinet in room with auto doc, may not be easy to reach. can somebody add this to the page? i dont know how to edit.
Dead Money Duck and Cover! and Wasteland Survival Guide Edit
Of the six skills I don't have a hundred in those are two, and I was waiting until they were found to leave Dead Money so that I could get my skills up a bit more, but it's either taking forever to find them or they were left out altogether. Has anyone heard anything about their possible exclusion from the DLC?--Never Summer 01:10, January 8, 2011 (UTC)
Now that the game came out on PC, I took a look in the GECK. The Duck and Cover is in the second floor of VillaDean (Dean's Villa? Haven't played it yet myself) underneath a bed, but it doesn't look like it's accessible. In the room with the bed, there's a pile of 3 suitcases in the corner. The bed is on top of a small pile of debris itself, and the book is near the center towards the head of the bed. Not sure if you can reach it in-game normally. As for the survival guide? There doesn't seem to be one. I only see 4 listings of it in the GECK, and they're all in the regular game. --Distracted Ghost 10:19, February 22, 2011 (UTC)
I retrieved the skill book, please refer to the Duck and Cover! page for a detailed description of how to get it out from underneath the bed. I hope that this information helps you like it helped me. :)
This was helpful, but in order for me to retrieve the book, I placed three C4 charges, three frag mines, and a gas bomb. Not on the right side on the bed, but between the bed and wall. (The gas bomb would not go all the way in there). I then threw a grenade and took cover. When I came back, the book was sitting on the floor away from the bed. I am guessing the trick is to blow the book out from under the bed. Make sure you save the game just prior to attempting this, as it took me several tries to get the book. - Howie
Concerning Number of Dean's Electronics Edit
Okay, so before I get confused, what exactly is the verdict on the number of locations for Dean's Electronics without Dead Money? I've seen it edited between 3 and 4. I mean, it still physically IS in the game, there's no denying it, but can only be gotten via reverting to an earlier version of the game on consoles, or through the console on PCs which means it's technically still there. --Distracted Ghost 22:55, February 8, 2011 (UTC)
The Guns and Bullets in Vault 34 isn't mentioned in the table.
Dead Money Duck and Cover! skill book. Edit
I had found the skill book underneath the bed in the room where you first meet Dean Domino in the Residential District by throwing grenades at the bed and it slid out where I can see it, but I'm unable to grab it. I tried throwing more grenades at the bed and shooting at the skill book with my gauss rifle to try to get it out, but unfortunately there appears to be an invisible barrier trapping it underneath the bed. If someone finds a solution to this problem then please tell me. I play on the Xbox 360 version of the game if that little piece of information helps. Confirmed Bachelor 777 18:13, February 24, 2011 (UTC)
There is no description there. Just a thing describing how it is impossible to get. Did some jerkwad delete it? Black Eve 02:48, March 6, 2011 (UTC)
Skill books in Honest Hearts Edit
I posted this earlier in the forums before noticing the existence of talk pages:
I believe the skill books in the Honest Hearts dlc are variable. Unlike the person who claims to have gotten two Big Book of Science, I got two Tales of a Junktown Jerky Vendor skill books. Barter was (and still is) my lowest skill. The books were in the workbench crate inside Fallen Rock Cave (north of Angel Cave).
My belief is, in Honest Hearts, you get two skill books inside one or two workbench crates, that are related to your lowest skill.
18.104.22.168 11:34, May 19, 2011 (UTC)Carlos
- See my new section on the page explaining how the random skill books work in Honest Hearts, based on the actual data from the GECK editor. --Actreal 15:17, May 19, 2011 (UTC)
- Okay, question: You say that they 'reset' if you return to the capitaal wasteland, does that mean you could max out your skills, or is there a limit?
- Actually you can max out your skills even now. Example: ST 1, PE 9, EN 9, CH 1, IN 9, AG 3, LC 8, with implants gives ST 2, PE 10, EN 10, CH 2, IN 10, AG 4, LC 9 (thad build gives you max skillpoints - example only). This stats determine starting points for skills: Barter 11, Energy 27, Explosives 27, Guns 15, Lockpick 27, Medicine 27, Melee 11, Repair 27, Science 27, Sneak 15, Speech 11, Survival 27, Unarmed 27. With 3 tags gives you 334 points total. To max out everything you need 1300. With Educated perk taken on 4 lvl, and int implant taken before 3 lvl you have 2x 15 skill points on level up and 37x 17 skill points on lvl up - that gives 659 points. We have 993. 65 skill books x 4 points gives 260 points. We have 1253. Tag! perk gives 15. We have 1268. 6 posible skill books in Honest Hearts gives together 1294. If you will take Intensive training 2 times (2x CH, 2x AG, 1x CH and 1x AG, 1x ST and 1x AG or 1x ST and 1x CH) you will get the missing 6 skill points. But who would do that... 22.214.171.124 00:17, May 20, 2011 (UTC)
- I don't know yet, which is why it has a verify tag on it. However, once the next two add-ons increase the level cap to 50, everyone will have maxed (or close to it for low Intelligence characters) skills without complicated calculations. --Actreal 00:19, May 20, 2011 (UTC)
- (Sorry, forgot to sign last time.) I've seen the many complex calcs ffor maxing stats, but I don't really like sacrificing base stats that much. I was aware that the next add-ons will make it possible, esp. if they include the "Almost Perfect" perk on the final add-on. However, it would be a pretty big thing if the programmers messed up so bad they've given us infinate skill books. Though I'm sure they'd fix it in a future patch. --Mu the Squirrel 14:15, May 20, 2011 (BST)
I thought the boxes had different contents, after exiting Zion Canyon through the Southern Passage and entering the Northern Passage to return to Zion Canyon, because I didn't remember what all of the contents where. Unfortunately, I was incorrect and this doesn't reset the boxes. I had written down the contents of the boxes and checked all four of the boxes again, after trying to reset the boxes and the contents were exactly the same. 126.96.36.199 15:57, May 20, 2011 (UTC)
This means I was extremelly fortunate for finding an Lying and Tumblers books at Cueva Guarrache cave (yes, I found two in a box)? I didn't know that skill books appear in a "roll dice" chance, props to the devs for this instead of placing them in fixed locations. My luck was at six, BTW.Brfritos 10:56, May 26, 2011 (UTC)
Merged all information considering skill books in Honest Hearts with the Workbench crate page and also added locations with detailed description to the location table, because they kind of act as their own type of skill books. For further talk, go to Workbench crate. Vladimir-Lem 08:03, May 30, 2011 (UTC)
crafting skill books Edit
You can create skill books in old world blues. does that mean you can have an infinite supply?
- No. Each recipe is used up in the crafting so you can only craft one of each type of book. --Actreal 00:54, July 22, 2011 (UTC)
Old World Blues recipies Edit
Should we add the locations of the Old World Blues holotapes to this page?
What happened to the map? It sucks now. Edit
The map used to be at a readable resolution. Now the opened image is barely any larger (if at all) than the thumbnail. Anyone have a good and proper version of the map they can upload to replace the one currently there? 188.8.131.52 23:24, October 4, 2011 (UTC) Mickimus
Tumblers Today Edit
There's actually (7/8) TT skill books with all DLC installed (7 physical books, 8 with the OWB recipe) so I corrected the table to reflect this. They're all on the wikia already so this was a bit of a weird over-sight. Jojobobo 13:51, June 15, 2012 (UTC)
Math correct? Edit
Math correct? Edit
In this paragraph at the bottom of the page: "With the total amount of skill points earned from reading every obtainable skill book (not counting the ones found as random loot in Honest Hearts), and with the Comprehension perk, the PC will have gained a total of 384 skill points (288 without it)."
Is the 384 (288) correct? I've done the math and using the listed amount of books minus random ones there are a total of 95 (7+7+7+7+8+7+7+7+9+9+7+6+7). That times 4 (or 3) is 380 (or 285). So am I missing a book somewhere or is this info incorrect? Kevinjohn3d (talk) 17:14, October 15, 2012 (UTC)
Edit: Not sure why it added 2 subtitles, new to wiki editing...
Best magazine merchants? Edit
Does anyone think a list of magazine merchants would be useful? If I find myself running low on magazines, what merchants are recommended? Blake (Fallout: New Vegas), Cliff Briscoe, Julie Farkas with FotA membership, and Trudy? Any others?Idhan (talk) 06:47, January 18, 2013 (UTC)