Since Fallout 3 likes to emulate many of the old sci-fi movies; from robots to giant ants, I wonder if that's the reason your can't kill kids in this one like you could in the other Fallout's. In old sci-fi movies men were manly, women stood and screamed waiting to be rescued and all that happened to kids was they got a few cuts and bruises, at worked they got knocked out. But a child never died in a 50's movie. Just a thought; maybe that's why they added the immortal children in fallout 3 —Preceding unsigned comment added by A Pickering (talk • contribs). Please sign your posts with ~~~~!
- Not really. Fallout 1 and 2 were also based on 1950s sci-fi. Ausir(talk) 10:48, January 2, 2010 (UTC)
Yeah, but things are developing all the time. Maybe sometime between Fallout 2 and 3 someone noticed kids in the old movies are pretty immortal.--A Pickering 12:35, January 2, 2010 (UTC)
- Bethesda decided to make kids unkillable because of PR. School shootings and such in America have changed what people will get in an uproar about. In addition, Fallout 3 is higher profile (and in a different public climate) game than the earlier ones were. There was a big public to-do about it. So, forget the 1950s movie connection speculation. It's all a matter of record.--Gothemasticator 12:38, January 2, 2010 (UTC)
- When playing as a child there will be switches and items you cannot use, you can still wear adult items but they wont morph to child anatomy (Forexample: A female child will have breasts if you wear a regular vault 101 jumpsuit instead of the child version)
- Setpcyoung 1 will NOT turn you into a child despite what some cheat sites may say, it will turn you into a teenager (You will look and act the same you did in the quest Future Imperfect, this basically means your character will have a set hairstyle which cannot be changed, your character may also call for help if hurt, and if an enemy goes out of range your character may say "Aah guess it was nothing", Setpcyoung 0 will restore your character to his/her adult version.
This should be included somewhere, also note it also counts if you reverse pickpocket armor to a child.22.214.171.124 22:22, March 16, 2010 (UTC)
Speaking of 'Children cannot use this.", I got that message once...as an adult. At the end of Anchorage, I used player.setscale10 just for kicks. After I killed Jingwei, I was sitting in a gray fog, and this message popped up when I tried to move. No guesses as to why it appeared. -- Valoopy 17:31, June 7, 2011 (UTC)
You can still download mods that make children killable, It's some kind of funky change that involves using small adult models and other things I dont care to remember.126.96.36.199 17:54, July 20, 2010 (UTC)Kastrenzo
- Actually it's just a record flag, removing the "Child" flag from the race record makes all NPCs of that race considered adults by the game, they take damage like normal, are target-able in VATS and, unless flagged essential (such as is the case with Harden Simms), can be killed. I think you're thinking of a different mod that uses child heads with adult bodies, scaled down to child size. That mod is called Shojo and discussion of it is banned on the Bethesda official forums. Kris (talk) 18:22, July 20, 2010 (UTC)
- Actually, the biggest child killer mod uses adult bodies because child bodies have improper gore caps. I think it only triggers on death, though. Nitty Tok. 18:25, July 20, 2010 (UTC)
New Vegas? Edit
Are they to return in Fallout: New Vegas? thanks, Gheart
Fallout: New Vegas; incorrect information and possible trivia Edit
In the article, it says "The kids running around in Freeside have the same voice, regardless of gender." This isn't exactly true. When you first enter Freeside, you can find the group of children chasing a Giant Rat. If you follow the children, you can hear them making comments about it (like roughly, "We're gonna eat tonight!" ectect) If you go up to the girl, she says something roughly to the likes of "He's kinda cute, isn't he?" in an obviously female voice. Once you kill the rat, they'll say things like "Thanks lady" - THIS is where the game seems to bug out, and the little girl ends up playing the male voice when you talk to her. I could have sworn she has said "Thanks, lady!" to me in a female voice, but for some reason, she seems to end up taking the male voice. The giant rat seems to spawn again after a few days (not exactly sure how many, of it's only one, blahblahblah), and she seems to get her normal voice again. After I killed the rat again, she ended up repeating the same thing. (tested on the xbox 360 version) All of I have to say though, is that voice gets really irritating, and fast. Augh. XD
Also, might this be some trivia? The Freeside girl mentioned seems to wear a scaled down adult outfit; you can notice she has small breasts. I've seen something like this happen in The Sims 2 when I was downloading custom content;, I got an outfit that was originally created for teenagers, but when the person moved it to a child size, it didn't get modded properly. Figured it would make some interesting trivia, though, since most children seem to have their own unique clothing? Or if anything, clothing that's correctly sized down to child proportions. Coonsley 05:16, March 25, 2011 (UTC)coonsley
Fallout 2 Edit
I'm using the restoration patch for fallout 2 which also adds children and i gotta say that the developers must have had some serious problems. I usually punch the children in the den once so they dont steal my stuff again but the messages in the text box like: [...] the child starts to cry,[...] snapping the arm like a candy cane... WTF interplay...
Why are there no Ghoul-Children, by the way? PlaceboForte94 19:29, November 28, 2011 (UTC)
- Ghouls can't have children, so that's why there aren't any in the game. Jspoel 19:45, November 28, 2011 (UTC)
Yeah, ghouls are steril, but what if a human child - in 2077 or whenever - mutates? PlaceboForte94 19:50, November 28, 2011 (UTC)
- Probably in the early stages after the Great War there were ghoul children. But they grew up and after let's say the year 2150 children didn't into ghouls anymore because of the drop of radiation? Not sure. Jspoel 20:15, November 28, 2011 (UTC)