It is, in fact, a miracle that there are any buildings here at all, considering that behind the factory (you have to go through the back door) there is a massive bomb crater right up against the side of the building. In this crater, you will find Isabella Proud, a scientist who was researching the behavior of feral ghouls, which is explained on her terminal.
Takoma Industrial is a rather isolated and dangerous location to find in the D.C. ruins, requiring the player to travel quite a bit out of their way on foot from Vernon Square. The industrial area can only be reached by traveling through the Vernon East/Takoma Park metro to Takoma Park. Where, after traveling Takoma Park's length east uphill then north to the end of the street, the player must pass through a derelict house and then downhill to the west.
Upon arrival, a battle will be occurring between a squad of Talon Company mercs and some super mutants right outside the facility entrance. If you return to this location after defeating the behemoth, two additional mercs, another super mutant, and a level dependent robot will be spawned.
Be sure to investigate all of the exits, as two of them lead to locations that are otherwise inaccessible. The elevated door in the north wall leads to the factory's "backyard", which has a tent with beds and several lootable boxes, as well as a hidden way to Isabella Proud's camp; the elevated door in the east wall of the southern section of the factory leads to a balcony with a sniper rifle and several .308 rounds.
To the southwest outside of the compound, through a closed gate, there is a super mutant behemoth with three other super mutants outside an auto shop. Just after opening the gate, there is a set of planks leading up onto the roof of a truck, where the body of a dead mercenary lies. On his corpse you will find the artillery note, explaining Talon Company is operating in the area. The artillery switch next to the merc's corpse can aid dramatically in taking down the behemoth. After 5-6 launches, the switch will break, and you will be prompted to attempt to fix the switch. A 33 or higher Science skill will enable you to repair the switch, after which it will not break again (allowing essentially unlimited bombardment of the behemoth).
- Lying, Congressional Style can be found on a bookshelf in the eastern section of the factory.
- A Nuka-Cola Quantum in a crate on a ledge: follow the western stairs up, go straight ahead, then over a makeshift walkway, and jump down to a generator and the quantum. (You can climb back up using the wooden 'ladder'.)
- 81 boxes of Abraxo cleaner found throughout the factory.
- A dozen units of Turpentine.
- A couple dozens of Tin cans. All this makes the factory a good source of 3 of the 4 ingredients needed in crafting Nuka-grenades.
- Takoma Park artillery note is found on a dead mercenary on top of a blue truck.
- Talon Company may have had a base in Takoma once. You will find a note next on a dead mercenary near an electrical switch, saying the merc was hired to help the Talons raid Takoma and take back their old positions. Pressing the switch will call in an artillery strike similar to the one in Seward Square.
- From this location you can leave the Capital Wasteland confines, and will be "under the map". You can return to the normal boundaries of the map by running all the way around to the metro entrance, jumping on some of the large garbage piles behind the boarded up bank, going up to the roof of the bank, and jumping down to the street.
- There is a mapping error within the Takoma Industrial complex, specifically, an invisible platform. The invisible platform is located near a specific generator, refid c9bd2.
Takoma Industrial appears only in Fallout 3.