| || For more background information about the T-45d and its appearances in other games, see T-45d power armor.|
For an overview of various models of power armor in the Fallout series of games, see power armor.
Originally developed and manufactured for the United States Army by American defense contractor West Tek, the T-45d power armor was the first version of power armor to be successfully deployed in battle. In 2067, the first suit of T-45d power armor was deployed in Alaska during the start of the Anchorage Reclamation in the midst of the Sino-American War. This power armor was incredibly effective against Chinese tanks and infantry. Its ability to allow a single infantryman to carry heavy ordnance that otherwise required a team of soldiers to transport and operate became key in various localized conflicts on the Alaskan front, and it allowed American soldiers wearing the armor to destroy entire towns occupied by Chinese troops without endangering themselves. In 2076, the more advanced T-51b power armor variant was introduced into combat duty.
After the Great War, this model of power armor is still being used by factions such as the Brotherhood of Steel. While main forces of the Brotherhood in New California and the Mojave Brotherhood of Steel tend to use the newer T-51b, more remote chapters, such as the East Coast Brotherhood of Steel and the Brotherhood Outcasts, have to rely on these outdated suits.
The T-45d lacks the mobility of later power armor models (such as the T-51b power armor) because of its less advanced servo design; as a result it limits the wearer's Agility. The first version of T-45d power armor deployed on the front lines against the Chinese was powered by small energy cells and it burned through them at an alarming rate.
While the T-45d armor is similar in its overall shape to the newer T-51b power armor, it is significantly less advanced than its later counterpart, and uses riveted steel plates instead of plastic composite materials in its construction. Various electronic and mechanical subsystems of the armor are exposed on the outside of its casing rather than sealed within as in the T-51b, making it far more susceptible to damage. In addition, a specialized body suit is required to be worn underneath the T-45d's armored shell in order to facilitate linking the armor's servos to the wearer's own motions and to make the armor more bearable because of its heat dissipation problems.
T-45d power armor provides a Damage Threshold of 22 as well as a bonus of 10% to Radiation Resistance, +2 to Strength and a -2 penalty to Agility. Due to the Agility penalty on this armor, which is not present on the T-51b series, Guns users are recommended to use the latter over the former. However, the T-45d has an additional point of Strength, so Melee attackers focused primarily on offense are recommended to use this set. It is not quite as protective as T-51b power armor or its variants, nor is it as protective as Remnants power armor, but it still provides protection and durability superior to every other form of non-powered armor in the base game, the only exception being Desert Ranger combat armor that has the same amount of DT. The Elite riot gear armor also shares the same DT, and is obtained in the Lonesome Road.
- Brotherhood T-45d power armor, the less common version of T-45d power armor in the Mojave Wasteland and Capital Wasteland, used exclusively by the Brotherhood of Steel.
- Lonesome Road (add-on) Scorched Sierra power armor, an NCR variant used by Colonel Royez on Long 15.
- NCR salvaged power armor, a suit made by the NCR by stripping out the servos of a suit captured during the NCR-Brotherhood war and as such does not require training to wear.
- Abandoned Brotherhood of Steel bunker - a T-45d helmet can be found inside, on Elijah's desk; the Dead Money add-on is required to access this area.
- Brotherhood of Steel safehouse - a complete suit, but in poor condition, can be found on a shelf.
- Great Khan armory, Red Rock Canyon - full suits of armor in poor condition may be sold by the Great Khan armorer.
- Hidden Valley bunker - Knight Torres may sell depending on her merchant inventory. If you loot her key through the wall, you can enter her armory through a door below the floor, where four suits of armor and three helmets can be stolen. There is also a set in the Elder's private quarters.
- Hoover Dam - Quartermaster Bardon often sells a couple.
- Caesar's tent - a T-45d helmet, along with 2000 caps and a power fist, can be found in a Very Hard locked case in the tent behind Caesar's throne (100 Lockpick).
- The armor can also be obtained after finishing either of the quests Still in the Dark or Eyesight to the Blind. At the end of those quests the Courier is invited to join the Brotherhood of Steel, and will receive a low-condition suit of armor, as well as Power Armor Training.
- Old World Blues (add-on) May be sold by the Sink.
- Lonesome Road (add-on) May be found in Dry Wells, near some aid kits and ammo crates in front of the crater. It can also be located in The Courier's Mile.
- The armor given to you by Elder McNamara/Hardin after completing either Eyesight to the Blind or Tend to Your Business, is the normal T-45d power armor rather than the Brotherhood variant.
- If a user wearing this is shot in the head without a helmet, blood will come out along with the metal "clank" sound made if shot while wearing power armor.
- The armor also has a Brotherhood of Steel insignia like the faction based version. Whether this was intentional or not is unknown.
- ps3 xbox360 pc This armor has a Brotherhood of Steel emblem on the left pauldron, despite not being Brotherhood armor. This can be fixed on PC with the following mod: New Vegas Nexus. [verified]
- ps3 pc xbox360 When you sit down, the shoulder pads will rotate and clip inside the body. The same glitch also occurs with the T-51b. [verified]
- ps3 xbox360 When running with most two handed weapons, it will clip the middle section of the armor, making it look like it is going through to your stomach. [verified]
- ps3 xbox360 When you swim, the shoulder plates will not move and your arms will go through the plates. [verified]