I'll let the Swan deal with you.”
Prior to his transformation, Edgar Swan was a custodian working for the Institute who was caught stealing cigarettes. As punishment, Swan was sentenced to 30 days of confinement in the Institute's FEV laboratory where he was unknowingly injected with an experimental version of the Forced Evolutionary Virus. During this time, Swan was instructed to keep a journal of his time in the lab which the Sole Survivor can recover from Swan's cabin at Boston Common.
Within a week, he began to mutate - within two, he possessed not only massively increased strength but also significantly increased intelligence. By the third week however, he began to have seizures and his intelligence decreased and he became fully aware of what was happening to him. Somehow, Swan managed to escape the Institute and took up residence in Boston Common. By the time the Sole Survivor encounters him, Swan has completely degenerated into a psychopathic monster.
Swan resembles a super mutant behemoth, being noticeably larger than 'common' super mutants - though perhaps not quite as large as regular super mutant behemoths. He wields an anchor as a hammer, a boat mounted on his left arm which he can use as both a shield and general bashing weapon and wears parts of a plastic swan boat as armor.
Swan has a schedule which is uncommon for scripted characters. Around 1:00 AM to estimated 5:30 AM he can actually be found roaming around the edge of the pond. The rest of the day he spends submerged in the water.
Interactions with the player characterEdit
Effects of player's actionsEdit
- Swan is a boss creature found at Swan's Pond, an outdoor location in the middle of the city. In the middle of the pond is a pile of debris made up of a white swan, a tire, and a branch; this pile occasionally shifts in place. Should the Sole Survivor or their companion approach the mass, it will reveal itself with a roar, emerge from the water and start attacking. Damaging the pile may also cause Swan to emerge.
- Swan's combat consists of four attacks: A devastating slam on the ground with his anchor, which deals massive damage and knocks the player character down, a charge attack where he slams the player character with his "boat shield," a ground stomp that deals tons of AOE damage and, like other super mutant behemoths, he's able to throw rocks from a distance, but this deals minor damage, depending on level.
- Unlike normal behemoths, Swan is wearing makeshift armor and thus has good Damage Resistance and Energy Resistance. Like all super mutants he is also immune to radiation damage, as well as having 100 resistance against bleeding damage.
- A legendary furious power fist can be found on Swan's body after he has been defeated.
- Swan has a relatively short range he will travel before stopping. If the player character is beyond this range, Swan will only be able to fight the player character by throwing his rocks. If the player character travels beyond Swan's rock throw range, he will return to his pond and submerge.
- Swan can be stunned by hitting him with a powerful melee weapon such as the super sledge.
- Crippling one of Swan's legs will render him unable to attack or defend.
- The fugitives' holotape can be found next to a skeleton near the pond. It is about two fugitives who escaped from, presumably, a group of raiders. One shouts a warning at the other, then Swan's roar is heard and the remainder of the tape is silent.
- The Groundskeeper's log holotape can be found next to the swan boat in the southwest corner of Swan Lake. It is about the Swan Lake groundskeeper complaining about how small the lake is.
- When fighting raiders outside Combat Zone, they will run away if they are critically wounded and yell "I'll let the Swan deal with you," or "Stay back! Let Swan deal with him/her."
- If he exits combat and reverts to a neutral state while in the water, he regenerates all of his health.
- He uses a powerful melee weapon known as the Anchor (baseid 00144a6c).
- The roar he lets out when emerging from the pond is actually a heavily distorted yell, he is yelling "SWAN!"
- Noted beside his concept art in the The Art of Fallout 4, his face paint is described as a "Juggalo Mutant."
Swan appears only in Fallout 4.
Behind the scenesEdit
His backstory seems to be inspired by the book Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes, sharing many similarities with the main character Charlie Gordon.