If you round up any slaves, I'll gladly spilt the commission with you.”— Grouse, when asked about other slaves
This quest will begin the first time you approach Paradise Falls.
Grouse will address you and tell you that you cannot enter Paradise Falls unless you have business there. He will offer to let you in only if you go and enslave select people from his "VIP list". You will be allowed into Paradise Falls after you have enslaved at least one VIP.
This quest involves enslaving several characters for the slavers of Paradise Falls. Enslaving is done with the Mesmetron and a slave collar, which you will get from Grouse. Along with it come the notes slave collar instructions and List of "recruits" for Paradise Falls as well as the holotape Mesmetron manual - summary page. Make sure to return to Grouse after each slave to collect a new slave collar for the next one.
|Side Quest: Strictly Business|
|Speak to Grouse at Paradise Falls and agree to enslave VIPs.|
|Reward: Mesmetron and manual, Mesmetron power cells, slave collar and instructions.|
|Locate Arkansas in Minefield, enslave him and affix a slave collar.||Locate Susan Lancaster in Tenpenny Tower, enslave her and affix a slave collar.||Locate Red in Big Town, enslave her and affix a slave collar.||Locate Flak in Rivet City, enslave him and affix a slave collar.|
|Return to Grouse, receive another slave collar and enslave the next victim.|
|Reward: Entry to Paradise Falls, 75 XP, 250 caps and -100 Karma for each slave returned (300 XP, 1000 caps and -400 Karma total).|
Your VIP ListEdit
The characters that have to be enslaved for the slavers are the following:
If Red, Susan, or Arkansas are dead before the quest is given, they will not appear on your list, and Grouse will allow you to enter Paradise Falls.
Arkansas is sniping from a ruined building in Minefield. Be careful as you make your way through the town, as land mines are scattered all over the town. Arkansas will also shoot at cars, which can explode and kill you. (Note: If you kill Arkansas before obtaining this quest, he will not be on the VIP list.) The best way to take Arkansas down is to wait for him to get off the building and run around, then chase after him and V.A.T.S him with a strong melee weapon such as a sledgehammer. Once Arkansas starts running to Paradise Falls, go in the opposite direction of him and fast travel as soon as possible, or he may trigger his own landmine on his way out (assuming you didn't disarm them all).
Susan Lancaster may be found on the Third floor of Tenpenny Tower in her penthouse suite (at night). Simply shut the door, mez, and collar. If you have found the note left in her room revealing the possible affair between her and Edgar Wellington II, you can show it to Millicent Wellington. Millicent will kill Susan and you will not have to enslave her. If Susan is your last target, the quest will be completed as soon as she dies.
If you enslave Susan while others are present, then the whole tower will be on alert and come after you with deadly force. Try to do it discreetly, or follow the note and affair scenario.
Red can usually be found in her clinic. If she's not there, try walking around a bit and then enter her clinic again. If you did not complete the Big Trouble in Big Town quest yet, Red is captured by super mutants and held in the Germantown Police HQ. You can simply enslave Red there, but it will prevent you from completing the Big Trouble in Big Town quest unless you rescue her from Paradise Falls later. It is possible that she will get killed by a super mutant attack after completing Big Trouble in Big Town and you will not have to enslave her.
Flak can be found in his room on the Upper Deck (at night), and is probably the most difficult VIP to capture. One strategy that can be used: Wait outside his room until about 10pm then follow him to the dead end by Doctor Li's room. Make sure there are no guards, then mezz him. Exit stage right into the lab before he sees a guard. You should be safe after this. Another strategy (If you are doing the quest for the achievement only) is to save, mezz Flak anywhere in Rivet City, flee the city, finish the quest to earn the achievement, and reload from the previous save.
Also another strategy is to mezz him right at the Market Place entrance. (Right before he enters the Market Place) He will then run for it through that door & you will never get caught. He goes that route about 6AM. If you wait inside his room for him to appear, he will not come into the room.
Or you can pick the lock to his room at night (around 10pm) and close the door; if he's not there, wait for an hour, and he'll appear in his room then just mezz him.
Alternately the player could steal enough inventory from his shop in Rivet City, forcing him to venture out into the wastes. From there look for his marker on the map and mezz him out in the wasteland.
|1||Enslave the sniper Arkansas from Minefield.|
|2||Enslave Susan Lancaster from Tenpenny Tower.|
|3||Enslave Red from Big Town.|
|4||Enslave Flak from Rivet City.|
|5||Quest finished||Return to Grouse|
- Putting on the slave collar will lower your Karma by 100, regardless of whom you put it on (including Arkansas and other hostile non-player characters not related to this quest).
- Flak, Red, Susan, and Arkansas end up in the slave house once you capture them. If your science skill is high enough, you can get their collars off. However, they simply wander out and get killed by the slavers. Moreover, Arkansas starts shooting at anyone wearing a slave collar, once you free him. If you kill all of the slavers and then free the slaves Susan Lancaster remains in the slave house repeating " Oh my God! You're killing everyone!" but does not leave the slave house.
- After the quest is completed, Grouse will give you a slave collar, thus starting the Strictly Profitable quest. He may give you more than one. Slave collars can't be dropped, since they're quest items. However, you can use them on other non-player characters, and get a caps reward from Grouse.
- Using the console command "RemoveFromFaction 2f561" (PC only) on a freed slave will remove them from the faction "FreedSlaveFaction". This can be useful if you want to deal with non-player characters like Flak or Red again after freeing them.
- During the Big Trouble in Big Town quest, you can enslave Red before completing the quest, then go to the slave pen to free her. She will follow you, saying 'can't wait to get back to Big Town', just like if you did not enslave her to complete the quest. If you walk outside the front entrance with her in tow, Grouse will open fire on her, and will most likely kill her. So it's best to fast travel once outside the entrance to Paradise Falls to prevent this. You will get to complete the quest with the normal dialogue, but she will revert to the "thanks for saving me" line.
- If you acquire multiple slave collars, you still have to speak with Grouse after each VIP is enslaved to complete the objective in the quest notes. If you enslave multiple targets without speaking to Grouse, they will appear in the slave pens, but you will only receive confirmation and payment for the last one you enslaved. The other VIP's won't register and you will be unable to complete the quest.
- After freeing the VIPs, Arkansas can then be found back at the Minefield and will not be hostile to the player. His dialog when the player tries to interact with him will be "You saved me from those bastards. I won't forget it."
- Flak can be found back at Rivet City although you are unable to trade with him, as all he says is "You saved me from those bastards. I won't forget it." You must speak to Shrapnel, then.
- Susan can be found inside Tenpenny Tower with the same interactions as Flak and Arkansas. If you did help the ghouls to enter in the Tenpenny Tower previously, Susan will still be in the VIP list. You will just need to go back to the Tower and enter inside to complete the objective and the mission. You will receive the award and complete the mission but it won't display the message on the screen nor give the experience points. Then after, just go back see Grouse and he will let you enter Paradise Falls.
- After putting the slave collar on Red, if the last dialogue option (You're a slave now. Nothing personal. Get to Paradise Falls if you want to live.) is chosen, she may run away screaming "assault, assault!" and trigger the whole town to turn hostile towards you. Whereas the first dialogue option (Give my regards to the slavers in Paradise Falls. Move, or your head goes boom!) will send her to Paradise Falls without the town becoming hostile.
- Killing Grouse will result in a message appearing on-screen stating: "Grouse has died", and the quest will fail.
- Once you have Mezzed Susan Lancaster and put the collar on her and she runs off screaming and alerts the guard outside her room and he turns hostile, Mezzing him seems to turn him back friendly again.
- pc ps3 xbox360 If you enslave and order a victim to go to Paradise Falls, and then die/reload previous save, the character you've enslaved before you reloaded the save may appear in the Paradise Falls slave pen, without a slave collar on, and with all of the dialog options they normally had (for instance, you can still trade with Flak in the slave pen if he does not have a slave collar). Reloading the save will not fix this problem every time, so you may have to somehow get the target to come near you in the slave pen where you are able to Mesmerize and fit a collar onto the target. If Arkansas was the target, he will pull out his sniper rifle and begin shooting everyone around him. [verified]
- pc ps3 xbox360 When mezzing a person in V.A.T.S. with the Mysterious Stranger perk active, the Mysterious Stranger may appear. The Mysterious Stranger will look and move around, but no gun shots will be fired. If there is another enemy close by, however, the Stranger will shoot them instead. [verified]
- pc ps3 xbox360 You may be able to get paid multiple times for each of the VIP slaves you've captured. After getting paid the normal money when you reach Paradise Falls you can pickpocket a key to the slaves pen. After talking to each of the VIP slaves you captured, you can return to the Paradise Falls entry and talk to Grouse and collect the 250 caps reward for each VIP slave you talked to in the slave pen. Grouse will repeat his speech as if you had just captured one of the slaves. If you finish the dialog with Grouse and talk to him again he will then repeat his speech for one of the other VIP slaves you spoke to in the slave pen. You can repeat talking to Grouse for each VIP slave spoken to in the slave pen collecting the 250 caps reward each time you speak to Grouse for a total of up to 1000 caps at a time if you have and spoke to all four VIP slaves. It is possible to repeat this glitch for an unlimited amount of caps. [verified]
- ps3 xbox360 If you enslave Flak, Shrapnel may disappear from Rivet City. He will return only once in a long while (every few days/weeks). He can be seen wandering the wastes and even in Paradise Falls likely looking for Flak. Apparently, Shrapnel's wandering after you enslave Flak is caused by an AI script that says the two should sleep near one another. Enslaving Flak thus causes Shrapnel to wander the wasteland trying to get to him. [verified]
- xbox360 Sometimes everyone in Rivet City will turn on you when enslaving Flak. If you die in the encounter, Flak will wander the wasteland when you re-load your save. All dialogue will be normal as if he was still in Rivet City selling goods. This will usually cause Red's removal from your quest list and all people of Big Town will be found in a pile dead with only the robot roaming around. [verified]
- xbox360 If you enslave Red right after you freed her from the prison and fast travel to Paradise Falls, it will complete the task "bring back Red to Big Town" and "enslave Red from Big Town" at the same time, if Strictly Business and Big Trouble in Big Town are both quests in your Pip-boy. However, after you fast travel back to Big Town you can see Red on her way to Paradise Falls, you can remove her slave collar and then ask for your reward bringing her back to Big Town. [verified]