Look, I gotta go get settled in, but, um, stop by my office later. I have an idea for an article that you would be perfect for.”— Piper
|Side quest: Story of the Century|
|Head to Publick Occurrences.|
|Answer Piper's questions.|
|Reward: 150 XP|
Piper as a companion
The quest will trigger after arriving to Diamond City for the first time and after finishing speaking with Piper and Mayor McDonough. Piper will suggest you visit her office at Publick Occurences for an interview. When you are conducting the interview, there are no right or wrong answers. There are four or five questions, depending on your answers:
First, Piper will ask about the time inside Vault 111. Second, she will ask how the Commonwealth compares to the Vault 111. Third, she will ask who the Sole Survivor is looking for (this is skipped if you already told Mayor McDonough). Fourth, Piper asks if the Survivor thinks the Institute is responsible. Finally, Piper will ask what they would say to someone who has lost a loved one, but is too scared to look for them.
Piper will become immediately available as a companion following the interview.
- Piper as a companion.
- Nat will give a copy of the paper with the interview the following in-game day.
- Piper calls the player "Blue" by virtue of being a Vault Dweller. Her rationale changes depending on what the player is wearing when initiating the conversation. If the player is wearing their vault suit, she will point out the obvious. If not, she will determine that you are a Vault Dweller based on the Pip-Boy and "fish out of water" look you have. She will say the latter even if the player is in Power Armor.
- Even if the player does not mention to Mayor McDonough that they are looking for Shaun (or chose "Don't answer", thus not mentioning anything at all), Piper will figure out that they are looking for someone and ask a question about it during the interview. You can dodge the question however you like, but you are ultimately required to answer honestly that you are looking for Shaun in order to progress.
- If the player has not learned of Nick Valentine from a Persuasion check with any one of several possible NPCs in Diamond City, Piper will direct the player to his office after the interview. This means missing out on the small XP from successfully obtaining the information from someone else, but it ensures that the player knows where to go to progress Jewel of the Commonwealth even with low Charisma.
- Piper's final question will differ depending on whether or not the player has completed Institutionalized.
- Companions will react to comments about how the Commonwealth compares to pre-War life, and the message the player wants to give directly to the people of Diamond City; Codsworth likes saying the current state, seeing everyone rebuilding, gives the player hope. Additionally, he loves telling the people of Diamond City "Don't lose hope."
- xboxone pc ps4If deciding to put off this quest until after rescuing Valentine, Piper will only give the option to be the Sole Survivor's follower, leaving the quest unable to be continued. To completed the quest at this point, the Sole Survivor will need to ask her to travel with them, then use the command menu to talk to her. This will initiate the interview to complete the quest. [verified]
- ps4 At night when going to Piper's office on first visit to Diamond City she may not be in her office. When you exit the fight between two brothers about one being a synth will occur and Piper will be hiding in the bushes next to her office. She will not continue the quest. Fast traveling away seems to fix this. [verified]